Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2018, 06:14 AM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
mempurpleflyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2017
Posts: 100
Default Timely Response to Schedule Requests

OK, I know this has been discussed before but it seems to be getting worse. Why is it that when we submit to make a change to our schedule, it takes them hours (literally) to either approve or disapprove the request? Really? Is that the best we can do?

I know that there has been discussion about "real time trip trading". I know that some have said we can't do it to protect "priority make up". Ok...whatever. Even if we keep the human in the loop, can't we as a pilot group demand that requests be processed within a reasonable amount of time? Is this really something that needs to be negotiated or could someone in the company with the title of "manager" just do his/her job and implement a policy. Why does everything need to be so complicated?

I am not talking about right after open times drops. I am talking about your average day. It should not take hours to get an answer to whether or not I can drop a 6+00 hour trip.
mempurpleflyer is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 06:47 AM   #2  
Fill'er Up Again
 
FrankTheTank's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Scarebus Captain
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempurpleflyer View Post
OK, I know this has been discussed before but it seems to be getting worse. Why is it that when we submit to make a change to our schedule, it takes them hours (literally) to either approve or disapprove the request? Really? Is that the best we can do?

I know that there has been discussion about "real time trip trading". I know that some have said we can't do it to protect "priority make up". Ok...whatever. Even if we keep the human in the loop, can't we as a pilot group demand that requests be processed within a reasonable amount of time? Is this really something that needs to be negotiated or could someone in the company with the title of "manager" just do his/her job and implement a policy. Why does everything need to be so complicated?

I am not talking about right after open times drops. I am talking about your average day. It should not take hours to get an answer to whether or not I can drop a 6+00 hour trip.
Agree 100%
FrankTheTank is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 06:55 AM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
FlyingOkra's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2012
Position: B-767 FO
Posts: 555
Default

Previous operation had “real time trip trading” via Flica and it was great. The program would just pause all responses for events that required Human Interaction (ie Use of Floating Vacation Days). Otherwise instantaneous response/reply. That method seems feasible here.
FlyingOkra is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 07:12 AM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
busdriver12's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,422
Default

It is unfreaking believable to me that the negotiating committee decided for us that we didn't even want to ask for real time trip trading, even though the pilot group had clearly stated that we wanted it. Didn't want to mess up priority makeup or bother to explore alternate solutions. This is something that clearly affects the vast majority of pilots quality of life and should be a no brainer.
busdriver12 is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
5millionaire's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 101
Default

Or just make it a standard window. For example, after the intital trade is made, it will hang in open time for no longer than 30 minutes.
5millionaire is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 07:56 AM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Adlerdriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain
Posts: 3,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempurpleflyer View Post
I am not talking about right after open times drops. I am talking about your average day. It should not take hours to get an answer to whether or not I can drop a 6+00 hour trip.
You can call scheduling and give them a little poke. Tell them you have a request pending and ask if they can take a look. All they do is basically hit "go" and consent to let the computer process the request.

From my interactions with them, it seems like the pending requests are something they need to check periodically to see if there are any. Often times, I get the impression they haven't done that for a while perhaps due to workload or they just don't care.

The priority excuse makes no sense to me. Schedulers don't call everyone with any amount of priority M/U time available and ask them if they want the trip before they process a basic trade or m/u request. Those with priority who have put in requests at that point get them processed ahead of those without it. But the requests themselves are all automated. It's not like the schedulers are doing anything other than consenting to process what's there in the cue. Whatever is in the cue gets processed at the whim of whoever is on duty. They can (and have) done it almost immediately after I put in a request while other times it takes hours. There's no set period they're required to wait in order to avoid disenfranchising someone with priority time available. So, if we get a scheduler who is quick (or we call and pimp them), how is that any different from real time trip trading? Plenty of trips go to routine general M/U requests because those with priority simply didn't know about them.
Adlerdriver is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 08:33 AM   #7  
Line Holder
 
decrabbitz's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2010
Position: MD-11 F/O
Posts: 70
Default

Been here 10 years and have never had PMU, but have had hours and hours of waiting to hear back on a trade. Why do we inconvenience 99% of the crew force to enable the 1% to get a slightly better trip?
And to bring the VRB into the discussion— when flying extra begins to be a key part of your Retirement, do you think the Company will not influence who gets what in the schedule adjustment process?
decrabbitz is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #8  
Fill'er Up Again
 
FrankTheTank's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Scarebus Captain
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver12 View Post
It is unfreaking believable to me that the negotiating committee decided for us that we didn't even want to ask for real time trip trading, even though the pilot group had clearly stated that we wanted it. Didn't want to mess up priority makeup or bother to explore alternate solutions. This is something that clearly affects the vast majority of pilots quality of life and should be a no brainer.
Stop using common sense..

But hey.. they decided that we all want this VB turd and they are going to educate us why...
FrankTheTank is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
FXLAX's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Posts: 372
Default

Why do trades, drops, etc require a human to process? Especially if that human is just pushing a button that begins the computer process?
FXLAX is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 11:57 AM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Check 6's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: 777
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXLAX View Post
Why do trades, drops, etc require a human to process? Especially if that human is just pushing a button that begins the computer process?
Control....
Check 6 is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C44 FO Response to C44 CA Communication orvil Delta 27 02-03-2017 04:03 PM
International Air Response Seeking C-130A Cre thurberm Hiring News 1 01-08-2015 02:39 PM
Quartz instagram article response encore Major 3 12-16-2014 09:37 PM
Best response to Kit Darby ever! BD100 Regional 38 08-01-2013 11:30 PM
Challenge and response log question? junglebob Technical 4 04-17-2007 11:08 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:10 AM.