Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #101  
Line Holder
 
Check6Viper's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: F-16
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRC View Post
Am I understanding this correctly??? On reserve you can drop reserve days and pick up trips? You can actually modify your schedule and go flying instead of sitting on reserve?
It depends on staffing levels, but yes, it is possible to do this. You generally only have success dropping reserve days within about a week of those reserve days, so it's not a strategy you can currently count on to get a solid schedule.
Check6Viper is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 09:29 AM   #102  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
The authors of that section were attempting to create a set of criteria that would allow as many of our pilots as possible to commute protected while satisfying the companyís desire to protect the operation.
Can they also create a set criteria that would allow as many of our pilots as possible (even if only 20% for example) to commute protected while satisfying the companyís desire to protect the operation as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
The simple fact is that given our flight schedule, very few of our long-haul commuters would be able to meet the requirements set out in the commuter policies of the major airlines. So, it makes no sense to say they we should be able to do what they do. Many of their long-haul pilots face the same limited options that many of our pilots have and as a result are not able to commute into their trips with commuter protection either.
Why is this assumption always made that the commute has to be on a Fedex flight? Not all other airlines limit their pilots protected commutes on their own flights.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
Thereís a very important distinction between the commuter policies at major airlines and the one in place at FedEx. Our policy was written to allow almost every pilot commuting to almost any domestic trip on our own aircraft to do that protected. Pax guys typically need a flight and one or two back-ups but that policy in no way guarantees them access to every trip in their domestic bid-pack. Our policy also allows pilots to commute to just about any domestic trip they can hold. Do you ever hear one of our domestic pilots talk about whether a trip is ďcommutableĒ or not? I havenít. That can be a pretty significant distinction for pax pilots, both long and short haul types. Many pax commuters with seniority choose to avoid half their bidpack lines because they canít get there the same day. Those who canít avoid them have to commute in the day before. Same thing on the back end of trips that donít give them a chance to get home that same day and would require an extra night in domicile.
Again, another assumption. A commuter policy doesnít need to be written so as to protect almost every pilot commuting into almost any trip. Like you said, the passenger airlinesí commuting policies donít have that. So why restrict ourselves to that higher standard. If we had a policy that gave commuter protection to 20% of the trips, it would be a win win. It sounds to me like you are letting the perfect to get in the way of the good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
We donít have access to the same flight schedules many of those pax pilots do. Our flights leave at completely different time blocks than their flights and the commuter flight options for a large number of our pilots are just not as numerous.
Another assumption. Yes, we do have access to all Jumpseats on all those passenger airlines.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
I donít think youíve bothered to actually consider various commute scenarios for all these ďluckyĒ long-haul pax guys who can commute into their trips with protection. Maybe youíve got some pals at other airlines whoíve found a niche that works great for them based on where they live and their seniority. But, not every long-haul pilot at those airlines have such picture-perfect commute. Certainly not 95%. I just deadheaded out of ORD on an AA flight to PVG that left at 10:30. My next one goes to NRT at 13:00. Can a Denver based AA pilot commute into those flights? Not the PVG flight. None of the AA or UAL flight gets him from DEN to ORD in time. So, he has no choice but to come in the night before. How about the later NRT flight? Probably Ė since heís got one primary on his own metal and a UAL backup. What if he lives in SEA? Then he canít get to either one. How about those AA pilots who choose to live in a smaller community like Norfolk, VA (very popular with quite a few FedEx pilots). Again, unable to make the PVG flight with a same day commute. The NRT flight? Maybe but heís not on his own metal, using an offline A319 as his primary and an RJ for a backup that arrives with 4 minutes to spare prior to check-in time. Would that pass the sniff test for the Chief pilot if the pilot misses his trip? I canít say for sure, but I kind of doubt it. I donít think I would care to do that for every trip and I seriously doubt a Norfolk resident AA pilot would either.

If we can come up with a commute policy that incrementally adds commute protection to more pilots willing and able to use it, why wouldnít we?


It just doesnít make sense to me why we would assume so many things in an argument against something that would help more of our pilots. What is the companyís idea of a best-practice commute for an international trip? Just codifying that into contract language would be better than what we have now, which is nothing. If it helps one pilot make a less stressful commute, it would be an improvement.
FXLAX is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #103  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2016
Posts: 882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarClipper View Post
Thatís the way it should be, that make up bank crap is ridiculous. If drop a trip so be it, however there should be no limit on picking except FAR limits.
Talk to your block rep. That is a limit we impose on the company not the other way around. I am sure the company would love to shrink 400 pilots off of their hiring plans. Careful what you wish for.
Fdxlag2 is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #104  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2012
Position: Two Wheeler FrontSeat
Posts: 661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdxlag2 View Post
Talk to your block rep. That is a limit we impose on the company not the other way around. I am sure the company would love to shrink 400 pilots off of their hiring plans. Careful what you wish for.
Why do you think the company would shrink 400 pilots off their hiring plan? I heard that excuse before but it makes no sense because more than half of the crew force have hundreds of hours of makeup and donít even burn it. Thatís a very poor excuse.
StarClipper is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #105  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2016
Posts: 882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarClipper View Post
Why do you think the company would shrink 400 pilots off their hiring plan? I heard that excuse before but it makes no sense because more than half of the crew force have hundreds of hours of makeup and don’t even burn it. That’s a very poor excuse.
All it takes is for a third of the pilots to add 18 extra hours every month and the need for 400 pilots is gone. The price of Memphis real estate would sky rocket as people moved to town to fly O&Bs 24 days a month.
Fdxlag2 is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #106  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2012
Position: Two Wheeler FrontSeat
Posts: 661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdxlag2 View Post
All it takes is for a third of the pilots to add 18 extra hours every month and the need for 400 pilots is gone. The price of Memphis real estate would sky rocket as people moved to town to fly O&Bs 24 days a month.
I understand your point, however more than half the crew force us capable of flying more that 50 extra hours every month and I donít see them doing it.
StarClipper is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #107  
Gets Weekends Off
 
kronan's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 757 Capt
Posts: 2,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarClipper View Post
I understand your point, however more than half the crew force us capable of flying more that 50 extra hours every month and I donít see them doing it.
I've flown with more than 1 pilot who was trading up his BLG 12 and going Neg 6 in the makeup bank every month, sad to say at least one individual started blocking his calendar after I pointed out doing so was counter-productive since we were a year + into negotiations.

If there was No limit other than FARs, think quite a few folks would try and work a bit more than they do now. Why wouldn't they try to add more days away from home if they have weekend layovers at home, or even layovers during the week

Do I think it would be 400, no, but you never know. I think a lot of people appreciated the elimination of the 48 hour blackout in CBA 06, but the impact was a reduced use of Reserve pilots for those using SL, reduced hiring, and a greater reliance on bringing R24 pilots into Memphis for HSBY just in case
kronan is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 11:19 AM   #108  
Gets Weekends Off
 
kronan's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 757 Capt
Posts: 2,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXLAX View Post
Can they also create a set criteria that would allow as many of our pilots as possible (even if only 20% for example) to commute protected while satisfying the companyís desire to protect the operation as well?



Why is this assumption always made that the commute has to be on a Fedex flight? Not all other airlines limit their pilots protected commutes on their own flights.




Again, another assumption. A commuter policy doesnít need to be written so as to protect almost every pilot commuting into almost any trip. Like you said, the passenger airlinesí commuting policies donít have that. So why restrict ourselves to that higher standard. If we had a policy that gave commuter protection to 20% of the trips, it would be a win win. It sounds to me like you are letting the perfect to get in the way of the good.



Another assumption. Yes, we do have access to all Jumpseats on all those passenger airlines.





If we can come up with a commute policy that incrementally adds commute protection to more pilots willing and able to use it, why wouldnít we?


It just doesnít make sense to me why we would assume so many things in an argument against something that would help more of our pilots. What is the companyís idea of a best-practice commute for an international trip? Just codifying that into contract language would be better than what we have now, which is nothing. If it helps one pilot make a less stressful commute, it would be an improvement.
Yes, I can see FedEx signing off on a reliance of JS on other carriers.
You can really see their willingness to give up control by the way they've expanded the JS CBA Protection to All Types of JumpSeats...not just for those folks using Staging but for those of us on Business or Personal...oh wait...they didn't do that did they?

Other Airlines Long-haul trips...are they 70+ CH trips around the world too? Or do they just do something like JFK-CDG-JFK then off for a couple of days, rinse repeat?
kronan is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 11:28 AM   #109  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2016
Posts: 882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarClipper View Post
I understand your point, however more than half the crew force us capable of flying more that 50 extra hours every month and I donít see them doing it.
I concede half the pilots prefer QOL over money. I have a couple hundred hours of makeup myself. That leaves the other half. Changing that rule would change the way the company handles reserves and how many lines they publish. Much like they did when we changed the bid for training rules and cut the number of VTO trips significantly in 2006.
Fdxlag2 is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 11:30 AM   #110  
Gets Weekends Off
 
kronan's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 757 Capt
Posts: 2,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW305 View Post
You have to admit, sub is ridiculous. They cancel a trip on you and you’re happy you can make it up at 125% later? Should be paid trip guarantee and go home...
What happens when they Cancel a trip 3 weeks out? Yes, that happens. Just had that happen to one of the buds on the MD.

What happens when they cancel your trip by changing the Airplane type before the Month even happens. Yes, that happens. Had one bud who is a Bus Capt have his M-W-F trips get subbed out due to an equipment change before Open Time was even available.

And Again, Getting paid trip Guarantee and Going Home is one of the options, all it takes is a 4 hour investment.

But, let's Say FedEx eliminates the Whole SUB thing...what happens to Overage Calculations?
Most of the Time I've gone into SUB when my plane breaks. Or I get rerouted somewhere, once CRS starts revising the pairing sometimes the Fun just never stops. Most lucrative week I've had CH wise at FedEx was after my Monday flight was rerouted into Indy, and then CRS get revising\extending my pairing. Wound up adding 4 HSBY periods (only 1 of which we got disruption for because only 1 of them occurred in a scheduled duty period). Wound up with 4 Extra Duty periods. Because I declined SUB, turning my Tues-Friday into Time Free From duty, I accrued overage at 150% and then 200%. Flew a total of 2 legs for almost a Month's worth of Credit hours.

Now, I could've stayed eligible for SUB...know FedEx couldn't use me. Pretty sure still get the Extra duty periods, but it was pretty nice knowing every day they extended past Wednesday paid at 200%.
kronan is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FedEx Current vs Delta TA gzsg Delta 30 10-28-2015 09:42 AM
FedEx to Acquire Chinese Transportation Co. TonyC Major 0 01-24-2006 06:21 PM
Mutiny on the FedEx truck Sasquatch Cargo 3 11-30-2005 08:42 PM
FedEx hiring update Freight Dog Hiring News 4 09-17-2005 01:46 PM
FedEx bets big in pilot offer? Freighter Captain Cargo 3 05-16-2005 07:00 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:42 PM.