Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > > >
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #71  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: B767
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarClipper View Post
It amazes me how some of these guys are quick to boast the great things about FedEx, but the justify and/or make excuses for the things which are lacking in its contract.
We all agree FedEX is one if not the best company to work for out there, however some of you act like all is perfect and there are nothing which needs improvement. Attitude like that cause you to lose bit by bit every contract negotiation.
Bingo........
UnusualAttitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #72  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2018
Position: sideways
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
So youre saying I should stop having FedEx as my dream job, stop updating my app weekly, and basically stop caring about the company and I might get a call?? Interesting...
Not trying to be a douche as Im Just perusing this thread, but if you are updating your app weekly why does it have errors
C37AFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #73  
Line Holder
 
Thrust Hold's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2018
Position: 767 FO
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C37AFE View Post
Not trying to be a douche as Im Just perusing this thread, but if you are updating your app weekly why does it have errors
One of the biggest recommendations by the folks in charge of Hiring. Its an emphasized instruction when you go in for your interview. Have your buddies update their application often. Like weekly.

It shows a sincere interest in being hired by FedEx.
Thrust Hold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #74  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Default Automation rumors?

Apologies if this isn't the right place for this question, but as a former regional, current 135, looking to possibly go back to 121, I think FedEx would be awesome. I was just wondering, for someone who hopefully has at least 20 years left, what the odds were of cargo going single pilot in that time frame and freezing the movement for the foreseable future? Any rumors lately other than the UPS investing in UAV tech from a few years back?
I couldn't find a thread addressing this in recent history, but if I missed it please move as appropriate!
gobnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:10 AM   #75  
Challenge Accepted Five
 
BoilerUP's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobnu
I was just wondering, for someone who hopefully has at least 20 years left, what the odds were of cargo going single pilot in that time frame and freezing the movement for the foreseable future?
I'm at UPS but in my mid-30s, and am not remotely concerned about that impacting my career.

Airlines like FDX (and UPS) are buying billions of dollars of airframes that are already a generation old, that are not designed to be operated by a single pilot, will not be easily or cheaply converted to a single-pilot cockpit and will not be easily or cheaply converted for the required remote-pilot backup.

Datalink is not robust, secure, or inexpensive enough for a remote-pilot backup - even in military applications which has a much larger budget.

Not even the military, with the oft-discussed "pilot shortage", is actively and loudly working toward single-pilot tankers or transports.

From a regulatory perspective, all non-military single pilot jets today currently are certified under Part 23...not Part 25, and while there's plenty of media discussion about "research" no proposed Part 25 aircraft are being designed with single-pilot operation in mind - even bizjets, where operating regulations are more relaxed than 121.

Think of how long it takes the FAA to do practically anything - even approving iPads for 121 navigational charts took years.

You'd also have to have politician buy-in on this, and especially in light of the Atlas 767 crash and 737 MAX issues have a hard time thinking they'd want single-pilot widebodies over their constituents...even if its "only" cargo.

Those technologies are slowly marching this way, and will almost certainly come to cargo first...but in the next two decades? Doubt it...

My $0.02, worth exactly what you paid for it...YMMV, caveat emptor, etc.
BoilerUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #76  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
I'm at UPS but in my mid-30s, and am not remotely concerned about that impacting my career.

Airlines like FDX (and UPS) are buying billions of dollars of airframes that are already a generation old, that are not designed to be operated by a single pilot, will not be easily or cheaply converted to a single-pilot cockpit and will not be easily or cheaply converted for the required remote-pilot backup.

Datalink is not robust, secure, or inexpensive enough for a remote-pilot backup - even in military applications which has a much larger budget.

Not even the military, with the oft-discussed "pilot shortage", is actively and loudly working toward single-pilot tankers or transports.

From a regulatory perspective, all non-military single pilot jets today currently are certified under Part 23...not Part 25, and while there's plenty of media discussion about "research" no proposed Part 25 aircraft are being designed with single-pilot operation in mind - even bizjets, where operating regulations are more relaxed than 121.

Think of how long it takes the FAA to do practically anything - even approving iPads for 121 navigational charts took years.

You'd also have to have politician buy-in on this, and especially in light of the Atlas 767 crash and 737 MAX issues have a hard time thinking they'd want single-pilot widebodies over their constituents...even if its "only" cargo.

Those technologies are slowly marching this way, and will almost certainly come to cargo first...but in the next two decades? Doubt it...

My $0.02, worth exactly what you paid for it...YMMV, caveat emptor, etc.
Thanks. Appreciate the perspective!
gobnu is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fedex lessons ⌐ AV8OR WANNABE Cargo 22 06-04-2008 01:16 PM
FedEx Companies vagabond Cargo 15 03-18-2007 03:50 PM
FedEx to Modernize Retirement Plans?!?!?!?! angry tanker Cargo 91 03-08-2007 08:56 AM
FedEx profits jump 51% SWAjet Major 0 03-17-2005 05:36 PM
FedEx Starts Daily Frankfurt-Shanghai RockBottom Major 0 03-05-2005 04:12 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:46 PM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright 2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1