Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2021, 04:24 PM   #731  
Gets Weekends Off
 
wrxpilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: B767
Posts: 1,830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HvypurplePylot View Post
I have no idea where you're getting the 428 number, but any employee can see how many current trunk aircraft we operate.
The 2020 Annual Report shows 398 Aircraft operated by FedEx pilots.

I have no idea where that’s listed on PFC.
wrxpilot is offline  
Old 02-21-2021, 04:24 PM   #732  
Line Holder
 
TLDR's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2016
Posts: 52
Default Thread Drift

Back on topic...anyone know if the latest class was canceled due to the ice storm/water issues?
TLDR is offline  
Old 02-21-2021, 06:21 PM   #733  
Gets Weekends Off
 
BlueMoon's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: FO
Posts: 2,830
Default

You can also look up the aircraft breakdown in the quarterly report filed with the sec.
BlueMoon is offline  
Old 02-21-2021, 07:14 PM   #734  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Pilot553's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Position: CA
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLDR View Post
Back on topic...anyone know if the latest class was canceled due to the ice storm/water issues?
Feb 18 class was rescheduled to Feb 22 due to WX.
4 ANC 777
6 ANC MD11
3 MEM 767
2 IND 767
1 OAK 767
5 MEM 300
5 MEM 757

Bottom 6 were ANC MD11...
Pilot553 is offline  
Old 02-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #735  
Gets Weekends Off
 
C2078's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2019
Posts: 444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxpilot View Post
Well, to start:

FedEx has ~428 Aircraft in their main fleet
vs
UPS has ~277 Aircraft in their main fleet

FedEx IntraAsia Destinations:
https://www.airlineroutemaps.com/map...ific/Guangzhou
(we don’t fly Cebu anymore and I don’t know about the NZ stuff, otherwise the map is correct)
Fedex most definitely does more intra Asian flying. Fedex does not have 428 mainline planes. UPS has close to 290 airplanes. Fedex is an airline that added trucks. UPS is a trucking company that added airplanes. The reason Fedex has a lot more long weekend layovers is because they still fly much of their packages over the weekend. UPS figured out long ago that trucking packages over the weekend was more effective, Fedex probably not too far behind now that they are focusing their attention towards Ground.

Fedex is a great company, UPS is a great company. Fedex places high value in intra Asian flying. UPS on the surface seems less so. Fedex tied their long haul, heavy loads to the Triple, UPS to the 74. When all orders are fulfilled, Fedex will have about 20 more Triples than UPS 74’s. UPS 74’s can carry almost 90,000 lbs more payload than Triple-F, so UPS seems focused on more with less, as opposed to more frequency and less volume for Fedex. Simply different philosophies.

When Fred passes, all bets are off. Fedex, while a publicly traded company, is very much Fred, still. UPS is not one person, and they still value their trucking mentality.

Among this industry, there are many who think Fedex will change when Fred departs. UPS will not change, they will always sweat the assets, view the airline as a “necessary evil”. I also see Fedex being more “business pragmatic” when Fred departs. Fedex treats their pilots like aviation professionals, while UPS treats theirs like truckers. But, UPS pilots knows the knife is coming from the front, prepare accordingly. For the Fedex pilots, the knife seems to be coming from the back while stroking their egos.

Both excellent jobs, simply very different mentalities. Kind of like Air Force vs Marine Core 😬.
C2078 is offline  
Old 02-23-2021, 01:01 AM   #736  
Gets Weekends Off
 
FXLAX's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,102
Default Class drops..

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2078 View Post
Fedex most definitely does more intra Asian flying. Fedex does not have 428 mainline planes. UPS has close to 290 airplanes. Fedex is an airline that added trucks. UPS is a trucking company that added airplanes. The reason Fedex has a lot more long weekend layovers is because they still fly much of their packages over the weekend. UPS figured out long ago that trucking packages over the weekend was more effective, Fedex probably not too far behind now that they are focusing their attention towards Ground.

Fedex is a great company, UPS is a great company. Fedex places high value in intra Asian flying. UPS on the surface seems less so. Fedex tied their long haul, heavy loads to the Triple, UPS to the 74. When all orders are fulfilled, Fedex will have about 20 more Triples than UPS 74’s. UPS 74’s can carry almost 90,000 lbs more payload than Triple-F, so UPS seems focused on more with less, as opposed to more frequency and less volume for Fedex. Simply different philosophies.

When Fred passes, all bets are off. Fedex, while a publicly traded company, is very much Fred, still. UPS is not one person, and they still value their trucking mentality.

Among this industry, there are many who think Fedex will change when Fred departs. UPS will not change, they will always sweat the assets, view the airline as a “necessary evil”. I also see Fedex being more “business pragmatic” when Fred departs. Fedex treats their pilots like aviation professionals, while UPS treats theirs like truckers. But, UPS pilots knows the knife is coming from the front, prepare accordingly. For the Fedex pilots, the knife seems to be coming from the back while stroking their egos.

Both excellent jobs, simply very different mentalities. Kind of like Air Force vs Marine Core [emoji51].

Seems like his progeny have been in the process of being groomed for decades to take over when he decides to leave. And when he passes, his FedEx assets will pass to them as well. But who knows? Maybe they’ll decide to cash out.
FXLAX is offline  
Old 02-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #737  
Gets Weekends Off
 
PurpleToolBox's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2013
Posts: 983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2078 View Post
The reason Fedex has a lot more long weekend layovers is because they still fly much of their packages over the weekend. UPS figured out long ago that trucking packages over the weekend was more effective, Fedex probably not too far behind now that they are focusing their attention towards Ground.
I'm not even sure what that means. UPS does not have a lot of truck movements on the weekends -- according to a group of friends I have who are all UPS Feeder truck drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2078 View Post
Fedex places high value in intra Asian flying. UPS on the surface seems less so. Fedex tied their long haul, heavy loads to the Triple, UPS to the 74. When all orders are fulfilled, Fedex will have about 20 more Triples than UPS 74’s. UPS 74’s can carry almost 90,000 lbs more payload than Triple-F, so UPS seems focused on more with less, as opposed to more frequency and less volume for Fedex. Simply different philosophies.
First, Asia specifically China is where most of the world's stuff is manufactured. Hence, the Guangzhou hub/sort facility. Second, FedEx Express flies 36% more air freight than UPS. Let's talk about 747-8F and 777F differences.

The 747-8F has a max payload of 308,000 pounds whereas the 777F's is 224,900 pounds ... an 83,100 difference. According to what I've found on the internet, the 747-8 (not the freighter) has a burn rate of 39 pounds / mile on a 7,200 mile length trip whereas the 777-300 (which has similar weight, same wing as the 777F) burns 30.4 pounds per mile. The advantages of the 777F allow FedEx to overfly fuel stop locations such as Anchorage. This allows FedEx to have later takeoff times than UPS ... accepting freight driven in from farther locations from the airport and/or allows freight from stores that can stay open later before the cutoff time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2078 View Post
When Fred passes, all bets are off. Fedex, while a publicly traded company, is very much Fred, still. UPS is not one person, and they still value their trucking mentality.

Among this industry, there are many who think Fedex will change when Fred departs. UPS will not change, they will always sweat the assets, view the airline as a “necessary evil”. I also see Fedex being more “business pragmatic” when Fred departs. Fedex treats their pilots like aviation professionals, while UPS treats theirs like truckers. But, UPS pilots knows the knife is coming from the front, prepare accordingly. For the Fedex pilots, the knife seems to be coming from the back while stroking their egos.

Both excellent jobs, simply very different mentalities. Kind of like Air Force vs Marine Core 😬.
Both UPS and FDX have issues with management. Yes, Fred Smith is still leading FedEx especially after coming back into the CEO position as well as the Chairman. However, the other CEO positions of the individual companies (Express, Freight, Ground, Services etc.etc.) are all newcomers. I don't think its Fred's baby anymore. Many of the original or long term leaders have since retired. Smith is kind of the last man standing. Fred for the longest time didn't think Amazon would be a threat and he is the main reason Express and Ground are separate.

UPS has a new CEO, Carol Tome. She's already pledged a "Better not Bigger" business model and has cut UPS Freight from UPS's portfolio.

FedEx is now starting to test the integration of Express and Ground networks -- once two completely separate businesses and something Smith was hellbent against. This is to help create synergies and efficiency in the system. There are times when an Express package can be sent by truck using the Ground network. How will that affect Express's domestic system (airplanes and city pairs) is really not known yet. Express could shrink because of the efficiencies created.

FedEx shed itself of the elephant in the room, Amazon, which was less than 3% of FedEx's revenue. The stock suffered because analysts could not see how FedEx could survive without Amazon as many don't understand FedEx's customers and their needs. But Amazon makes up 13% of UPS's revenue. UPS stands to lose a lot as Amazon builds out its logistics network.

My comments are not meant to be argumentative ... or a one is better than the other. I am adding or correcting some of the information presented. I believe new hires who choose to go to either airline will have a good career.
PurpleToolBox is offline  
Old 03-03-2021, 06:53 AM   #738  
Gets Weekends Off
 
ClutchCargo's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2005
Position: FDX MD11 Capt in ANC
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot553 View Post
Feb 18 class was rescheduled to Feb 22 due to WX.
4 ANC 777
6 ANC MD11
3 MEM 767
2 IND 767
1 OAK 767
5 MEM 300
5 MEM 757

Bottom 6 were ANC MD11...

The best job in the company goes to the 6 junior guys...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ClutchCargo is offline  
Old 03-03-2021, 10:53 AM   #739  
On Reserve
 
Nawstin's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2017
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCargo View Post
The best job in the company goes to the 6 junior guys...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why do you say that? What about ANC MD makes it the best?
Nawstin is offline  
Old 03-03-2021, 11:06 AM   #740  
Gets Weekends Off
 
opt0712's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2012
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawstin View Post
Why do you say that? What about ANC MD makes it the best?
The $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
opt0712 is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Hire Classes and Drops MasterOfPuppets United 1473 07-20-2021 11:09 AM
UAL Pilot Deadhead Language gzsg Delta 102 08-29-2017 05:12 PM
TA Overview Airhoss United 179 11-15-2012 08:18 PM
SWA Lawsuit KC10 FATboy Major 29 04-18-2008 07:17 AM
Class I and Class II Navigation Illini Flight Schools and Training 3 11-06-2006 03:35 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:10 AM.