Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Adlerdriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 777F FO
Posts: 3,272
Default Overage/Sub/OTP FCIF

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, an FCIF from 1999 was re-issued today clarifying the three options available if your current trip is extended, creating a conflict with a subsequent trip. One can lose out on some serious dollars if they make the wrong choice depending on the situation. But I'm not trying to help with what you decide, I'm posting to talk about WHEN you make your choice.

In two different paragraphs, the FCIF encourages pilots who are choosing option 1 (drop the trip in conflict to receive the full overage on the extended trip) to make that election "as soon as possible". However, the FCIF clearly states the deadline for that decision is completion of the revised trip that was extended - i.e. 30 minutes after block in. I strongly suggest anyone considering option 1 wait until they have blocked in before making that choice.
The ALPA calendar used to make the same suggestion - choose ASAP and I followed it. I elected to drop the trip in conflict because the overage paid significantly more than the substitution pay for my next trip. After calling crew scheduling and choosing option 1, while I was still on the revised trip, it was revised again. The new revision basically returning it to its original version and footprint. Not only did I no longer have the overage from my revision, I no longer had my next trip and was ineligible for SUB as well since I had dropped it.

Of course the schedulers want you to make your choice between option 1 and 2 ASAP because that makes their job easier. I offer my cautionary tale as one reason to take your time and make the choice after your trip. I also suggest forwarding that FCIF to your personal email for future reference. In my opinion, it does a better job than the current ALPA calendar in clarifying your options and is certainly easier than flipping back and forth between sections 4 and 25 of the contract. Also, some of the details like the 30 minute after block-in deadline are not specifically delineated in the contract. The ALPA calendar is not completely clear on this situation either and appears to only offer the 30-minute post-block in deadline to a reserve pilot.
Adlerdriver is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 02:50 AM   #2  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jan 2016
Posts: 35
Default

Thanks Adler, great post.
WATRS is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 03:00 AM   #3  
Line Holder
 
harvick4's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2013
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, an FCIF from 1999 was re-issued today clarifying the three options available if your current trip is extended, creating a conflict with a subsequent trip. One can lose out on some serious dollars if they make the wrong choice depending on the situation. But I'm not trying to help with what you decide, I'm posting to talk about WHEN you make your choice.

In two different paragraphs, the FCIF encourages pilots who are choosing option 1 (drop the trip in conflict to receive the full overage on the extended trip) to make that election "as soon as possible". However, the FCIF clearly states the deadline for that decision is completion of the revised trip that was extended - i.e. 30 minutes after block in. I strongly suggest anyone considering option 1 wait until they have blocked in before making that choice.
The ALPA calendar used to make the same suggestion - choose ASAP and I followed it. I elected to drop the trip in conflict because the overage paid significantly more than the substitution pay for my next trip. After calling crew scheduling and choosing option 1, while I was still on the revised trip, it was revised again. The new revision basically returning it to its original version and footprint. Not only did I no longer have the overage from my revision, I no longer had my next trip and was ineligible for SUB as well since I had dropped it.

Of course the schedulers want you to make your choice between option 1 and 2 ASAP because that makes their job easier. I offer my cautionary tale as one reason to take your time and make the choice after your trip. I also suggest forwarding that FCIF to your personal email for future reference. In my opinion, it does a better job than the current ALPA calendar in clarifying your options and is certainly easier than flipping back and forth between sections 4 and 25 of the contract. Also, some of the details like the 30 minute after block-in deadline are not specifically delineated in the contract. The ALPA calendar is not completely clear on this situation either and appears to only offer the 30-minute post-block in deadline to a reserve pilot.
Why would anyone drop their trip straight up instead of electing OTP? Maybe I'm missing something.
harvick4 is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 03:05 AM   #4  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: May 2014
Position: CO/AC/IP/EP/FO
Posts: 25
Default

Yes.. I was wondering why this was posted...
Something must have happened.
Merica is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 03:13 AM   #5  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Mar 2015
Posts: 74
Default

Great advice. Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cliffnd is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 04:21 AM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2006
Posts: 928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvick4 View Post
Why would anyone drop their trip straight up instead of electing OTP? Maybe I'm missing something.
Because, if you drop the trip, you get paid 150% for the first 12 hours of extra pay and 200% for any hours after that. If you elect substitution, you get 100% pay for all hours that the original trip extends into the next trip(s). It all depends on how long the original trip gets extended, hence the suggestion to wait until you block in to make the final decision so you aren't leaving money on the table.
pinseeker is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 04:33 AM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Adlerdriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 777F FO
Posts: 3,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvick4 View Post
Why would anyone drop their trip straight up instead of electing OTP? Maybe I'm missing something.
I realize OTP will probably be many pilotís choice in this scenario, but I didnít want to offer advice about what to choose. There are enough nuances and situation specific variables that I didnít feel qualified to offer definitive advice one way or the other. If someone else has the capability feel free.
In my case, I was done flying for the month when I finished the extended trip, so no OTP then. I was going to training for the following ~3 months and wasnít going to be able to use OTP. If that wasnít the best choice, educate me, Iím all ears. Thanks.
Adlerdriver is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 06:05 AM   #8  
Line Holder
 
harvick4's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2013
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinseeker View Post
Because, if you drop the trip, you get paid 150% for the first 12 hours of extra pay and 200% for any hours after that. If you elect substitution, you get 100% pay for all hours that the original trip extends into the next trip(s). It all depends on how long the original trip gets extended, hence the suggestion to wait until you block in to make the final decision so you aren't leaving money on the table.
What if I told you by selecting OTP you still get the overages on the extended trip...

Again, why would you just drop your trip? Only reason is you don't want the negative OTP hours 3 months later.
harvick4 is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 06:12 AM   #9  
Line Holder
 
harvick4's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2013
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
I realize OTP will probably be many pilotís choice in this scenario, but I didnít want to offer advice about what to choose. There are enough nuances and situation specific variables that I didnít feel qualified to offer definitive advice one way or the other. If someone else has the capability feel free.
In my case, I was done flying for the month when I finished the extended trip, so no OTP then. I was going to training for the following ~3 months and wasnít going to be able to use OTP. If that wasnít the best choice, educate me, Iím all ears. Thanks.
You were done for the month so no OTP? I don't understand that part.

If you were not going to be able to pick up any flying in the next 3 months then it's a wash.

But if you were going to training for say upgrade. You could have selected OTP, for X hours. And if you finished upgrade in less then 3 months used those X OTP hours at your new Capt rate at 125%. 3 months after selecting OTP, they would deduct X hours at your FO rate. If that is too confusing, thank ALPA.
harvick4 is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 07:06 AM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Adlerdriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 777F FO
Posts: 3,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvick4 View Post
You were done for the month so no OTP? I don't understand that part.
I meant that I had already worked as much as I wanted to work and did not have the scheduling flexibility to use the OTP in the current month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvick4 View Post
If you were not going to be able to pick up any flying in the next 3 months then it's a wash.
Yes, this is how I interpreted the situation, so it didnít seem like OTP would benefit me.

Just for OTP education, is it correct to say that you get pay protected for the trip that gets dropped at 100%. Then, when you use your OTP hours at some point in the future, you technically earn the extra 25% resulting in the advertised 125% pay? Iíve never been clear on how the OTP pay really happens.
Adlerdriver is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ava fcif...dec 18 Skippy320 FedEx 54 12-06-2018 09:51 AM
Thanksgiving Dinner Expense FCIF msduckslyr Cargo 11 11-27-2014 10:51 PM
FDX - Mar Secondary Lines FCIF? TX1522 Cargo 5 03-02-2009 12:55 PM
FDX_ Bot Blocker Program FCIF livindadream Cargo 182 11-05-2008 05:13 PM
FDX-new excess fcif is out pdo bump Cargo 16 06-05-2008 10:32 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:06 PM.