Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Flight Schools and Training (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/flight-schools-training/)
-   -   JetBlue Gateway Select Pilot Training (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/flight-schools-training/119970-jetblue-gateway-select-pilot-training.html)

wacampbe 02-12-2019 11:19 AM

JetBlue Gateway Select Pilot Training
 
Hello everyone I was recently selected to move forward with the JetBlue gateway select program. Does anyone know any pros & cons of this program? Also, does anyone know anything about the assessment you have to take 3 weeks within receiving the offer to move forward? Thanks for any replies. I know the program is 110K, which from my position with 0 hours isn't far from any other flight schools (like ATP) where I can go from 0 hours to flying commercial airliners.

kettlechips 02-12-2019 11:55 AM

It's ridiculously expensive, and takes way too long. Why not just go local and spend less than half, and finish way quicker too?

say again 02-12-2019 12:13 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

rickair7777 02-12-2019 02:31 PM

The advantages...

1. You quickly get a job at a decent LCC, rather than slugging through the regionals.
2. You can have a nice career at JB if necessary for some reason.
3. You can apply to the big six, especially the big three, once you get some 121 time.

Downsides...

1. Could be done cheaper, although skipping the regionals is worth something IMO.
2. The flip side of coin #1 is that by skipping the regionals you're going to build 121 time slower than at a regional. Also upgrade will most likely take significantly longer, and that 121 PIC is key to moving on to the big boys. I don't know aht movement at JB is like, but I know they must be a fairly young pilot group so upgrade might take almost ten times longer than at a regional.
3. You might be inclined to stay at JB. Don't do that (assuming you're young). The big three will offer waaaay more opportunity long-term.

wacampbe 02-13-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickair7777 (Post 2762767)
The advantages...

1. You quickly get a job at a decent LCC, rather than slugging through the regionals.
2. You can have a nice career at JB if necessary for some reason.
3. You can apply to the big six, especially the big three, once you get some 121 time.

Downsides...

1. Could be done cheaper, although skipping the regionals is worth something IMO.
2. The flip side of coin #1 is that by skipping the regionals you're going to build 121 time slower than at a regional. Also upgrade will most likely take significantly longer, and that 121 PIC is key to moving on to the big boys. I don't know aht movement at JB is like, but I know they must be a fairly young pilot group so upgrade might take almost ten times longer than at a regional.
3. You might be inclined to stay at JB. Don't do that (assuming you're young). The big three will offer waaaay more opportunity long-term.

Thank you for this! As I've seen more about regionals and how underpaid they are and can't even afford rent, that plays a huge role as to where I want to go. ATP and other smaller flight schools are my back up to this but ATP is a bit pricey as well, along with the speed which is great! But I heard the ground school is not that good and you're typically rushed through by the instructors.

wacampbe 02-13-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kettlechips (Post 2762641)
It's ridiculously expensive, and takes way too long. Why not just go local and spend less than half, and finish way quicker too?

That is my back up after comparing my other options to this program. My biggest fear is obtaining my PPL, then trying to figure out how to build my hours with out the help of an instructor job, etc.

wacampbe 02-13-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by say again (Post 2762652)
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm assuming this isn't good lol

kettlechips 02-13-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wacampbe (Post 2763336)
That is my back up after comparing my other options to this program. My biggest fear is obtaining my PPL, then trying to figure out how to build my hours with out the help of an instructor job, etc.

The current environment is such that you can get a CFI job pretty much anywhere in the country right now.

If jetblue is your career destination, then this program would be pretty good. If your goal is to hit the majors, I would recommend against this program, as you wouldn't hit 1000 TPIC for at least 10 years, and wouldn't be able to take advantage of the extensive retirements/movement.

wacampbe 02-13-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kettlechips (Post 2763390)
The current environment is such that you can get a CFI job pretty much anywhere in the country right now.

If jetblue is your career destination, then this program would be pretty good. If your goal is to hit the majors, I would recommend against this program, as you wouldn't hit 1000 TPIC for at least 10 years, and wouldn't be able to take advantage of the extensive retirements/movement.

My end goal is to actually work for one of the US majors. But my question after that would be where to go with 0 hours to be able to get to a major airline, hopefully avoiding the underpaying regional airlines.

usmc-sgt 02-13-2019 11:46 AM

Good to see their selection criteria is still top notch. You applied for and were selected to move forward in a program you know virtually nothing about, in an industry you know even less about?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:21 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright 2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands