Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #1  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
bfuller1981's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2007
Posts: 25
Default My local FBO

I went to my local FBO yesterday and talked with them about flight training and discussed with them where I'm at and what I need and what I'd like to get. We got down to the pricing end of things and the total price came out to 66K, that was to finish my ppl, get my instrument, commercial multi engine & SEL add on, multi-engine, CFI, CFII and MEI. They figured the price with all training after my ppl in a multi engine so I can build as much multi time as possible. If I did most everything in a single engine it would only be 6 grand less.

What I would like to know is, is this a reasonable price or should I look elsewhere? I wanted to go to this FBO cause its where my Dad got all his ratings and also where his CFI started out and worked for awhile before going to Amercia West/US Airways but 66K sounds like a lot from what I've read on here for an FBO thats over most of the "Academy" schools.

Thanks in advance for the help.
bfuller1981 is offline  
Old 09-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Slice's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Spartan
Posts: 3,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfuller1981 View Post
I went to my local FBO yesterday and talked with them about flight training and discussed with them where I'm at and what I need and what I'd like to get. We got down to the pricing end of things and the total price came out to 66K, that was to finish my ppl, get my instrument, commercial multi engine & SEL add on, multi-engine, CFI, CFII and MEI. They figured the price with all training after my ppl in a multi engine so I can build as much multi time as possible. If I did most everything in a single engine it would only be 6 grand less.

What I would like to know is, is this a reasonable price or should I look elsewhere? I wanted to go to this FBO cause its where my Dad got all his ratings and also where his CFI started out and worked for awhile before going to Amercia West/US Airways but 66K sounds like a lot from what I've read on here for an FBO thats over most of the "Academy" schools.

Thanks in advance for the help.
www.prairieairservice.com

You could do it for around half of what you were quoted above.
Slice is offline  
Old 09-28-2007, 04:07 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
de727ups's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: UPS 757/767 Capt ONT
Posts: 4,348
Default

That seems kinda high. I'd shop around if you have other local options. Doing most of your training in a twin is an expensive way to do it. It's hard to believe it's only 6K more than doing it in a single. I'd say they are charging too much for singles. Anyhow, there is something to be said for being able to train close to home, too.
de727ups is offline  
Old 09-29-2007, 09:29 AM   #4  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
bfuller1981's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2007
Posts: 25
Default

Yeah I have some other options I'm going to check at two other local places and see what they quote and post back about it also your are very correct about being able to train close to home and that particular place said they would hire me for MEI after I was all done if I chose to do all the training in a ME.
bfuller1981 is offline  
Old 09-29-2007, 09:50 AM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
de727ups's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: UPS 757/767 Capt ONT
Posts: 4,348
Default

"if I chose to do all the training in a ME."

I'm still not sold on the cost/benefit ratio of "doing all your training in an ME". Also, I wouldn't let a promise to get hired sway my decision. CFI jobs aren't that hard to come by and there are other ways to build multi time that might make more sense than "doing all your training in a twin".

An exception would be if you REALLY want to work at this place after you get your ratings, as opposed to maybe chasing around the country for a job. I never had any problems with being tied to a certain area, but not everyone is like that.
de727ups is offline  
Old 09-30-2007, 08:48 AM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Slice's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Spartan
Posts: 3,227
Default

If you are single the best thing you can do to further your aviation career is be willing to move for a job. Trust me, being from NY I didn't want to live in KS for 3 years. It was the best thing I ever did for my career though. It would have taken me longer had I stayed 'home'.
Slice is offline  
Old 09-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Spartan07's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: C152
Posts: 464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
If you are single the best thing you can do to further your aviation career is be willing to move for a job. Trust me, being from NY I didn't want to live in KS for 3 years. It was the best thing I ever did for my career though. It would have taken me longer had I stayed 'home'.
And then you learned to love the great state of Kansas and began to wonder how you ever thought that it would be anything less than paradise living in the (self proclaimed) "Air Capital of the World" right?
Spartan07 is offline  
Old 09-30-2007, 09:36 AM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Slice's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Spartan
Posts: 3,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan07 View Post
And then you learned to love the great state of Kansas and began to wonder how you ever thought that it would be anything less than paradise living in the (self proclaimed) "Air Capital of the World" right?
It grows on you and there are certainly worse places to live. I wouldn't trade the friends and experiences I had there for anything. Now that I'm out of there though, I probably would never move back to the midwest. Sea or mountains from here on out.
Slice is offline  
Old 09-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
the King's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2007
Position: JS32 FO
Posts: 845
Default

Not a fan of Kansas. I've never flown there, but the drive sucks.

I don't buy the need to do all ME training either. And it shouldn't cost 60K to do all that. Keep shopping.
the King is offline  
Old 10-17-2007, 06:16 AM   #10  
Drinkin' coffee...
 
withthatsaid182's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: P-p-piiilatusss
Posts: 680
Default

That seems like an awful, but it all depends on your location and the airports location. If it is a busy airport the rates may be a little more competitive, if it is kind of out there, and they do not have a large student base they may raise the rates. I instruct in CT and NH and the number I've seen to go from private to cfi is around 30K. When I went through and got all my ratings I spent between 25k and 30k.
I would shop around some more, expect to pay a lot, but don't necessarily go for the cheapest option and go to some pilot factory. Best of luck.
withthatsaid182 is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FBO line technician maximaman Hangar Talk 11 12-28-2010 02:29 PM
If not selected for UPT uvmflier Military 11 09-16-2007 04:33 PM
Local Papers... AKBeemer Cargo 22 09-14-2007 09:28 AM
Advice for new flyer - FBO or school otterjumper Flight Schools and Training 9 09-07-2007 11:11 AM
ATP or Local flight school Captaindelay Flight Schools and Training 19 08-20-2007 04:56 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:58 AM.