Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #11  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 2
Default Old Thread -- Still Pertinent Comment

I'm presently a student at Flight Safety, since I wanted to go the 141 route. While the quality of the curriculum, the instructors and the training fleet are all top notch, there are A LOT of students here, which can slow things down, A LOT... Students are bailing out of here because of this.



As for ATP, I want to offer one comment: although they may be licensed under both parts 61 and 141, ATP DOES NOT operate any actual programs under part 141. I found this out when I asked about veterans benefits. They allow no usage of or access to veterans benefits, since the VA only funds 141 programs and ATP does only part 61 instruction. That immediately and permanently knocked them off of my list.



I hasten to add that I'm not implying anything about the quality of ATP programs -- only that they do it all under 61, and they're a NO-GO for veterans with benefits.
Revenant is offline  
Old 05-23-2018, 06:25 AM   #12  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 23,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
As for ATP, I want to offer one comment: although they may be licensed under both parts 61 and 141, ATP DOES NOT operate any actual programs under part 141. I found this out when I asked about veterans benefits. They allow no usage of or access to veterans benefits, since the VA only funds 141 programs and ATP does only part 61 instruction. That immediately and permanently knocked them off of my list.

For clarity, there is no "licensing" under part 61. Anyone can operate a flight school under part 61, there is no FAA oversight on that, you just follow the rules in part 61 and 91.


A 141 operator does need FAA certification. Merely holding a 141 certificate does nothing for students, but it's something schools can claim in their advertising to sound important.


You are correct that GI Bill flight training benefits may only be used for specific part 141 training programs (ie IR, CPL, CFI, ATP, type ratings, etc).



Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
I hasten to add that I'm not implying anything about the quality of ATP programs -- only that they do it all under 61, and they're a NO-GO for veterans with benefits.

141 inherently does little or nothing for quality, it's mostly just a paperwork drill. In fact, 141 programs are so inflexible that it rarely makes economic sense to do 141, unless you stand to gain some sort of benefits tied to 141 by law (ie GI Bill, R-ATP mins).
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 09-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #13  
Gets Weekends Off
 
GuppyPuppy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: JetRight, JetLeft
Posts: 710
Default

Beware of 141 schools that offer the moon.

I'd argue that you could get better instruction part 61, and quicker too.

Gup
GuppyPuppy is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #14  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2016
Posts: 358
Default

I agree completely about better instruction at 61 schools right now, if one puts in the time to make it work with a career instructor (most 141 schools are laden with inexperienced CFI’s right now).

With this in mind, why do so many (including some regional recruiters) still believe that 141 is better prep for 121 flying? Is this an antiquated notion or does the structure of a 141 syllabus alone still serve as better prep for 121?


Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyPuppy View Post
Beware of 141 schools that offer the moon.

I'd argue that you could get better instruction part 61, and quicker too.

Gup
fenix1 is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Title IV Flight Schools Atorr736 Flight Schools and Training 3 04-09-2015 03:08 PM
Rest rules delayed to Nov/22/2011 glyde Major 120 11-11-2011 02:31 PM
How to go about my future aviation career? Michaelgg13 Flight Schools and Training 11 07-22-2011 07:22 PM
Logging SFTY Pilot Time ebuhoner Flight Schools and Training 35 10-10-2009 09:02 AM
Overseas opportunities for a low time, Multi Comm pilot? MobiusOne Foreign 12 05-09-2008 09:37 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:21 AM.