Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


View Poll Results: what did you do to build time
Own 2 25.00%
Rent 6 75.00%
Partnership 0 0%
Lease 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #1  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Default Time building

Question from a complete newbie. I am 15 hours into this life and I am questioning how to build "quality time". Is time equivalent to time? or is a 150/152 time qualitatively different than 172/cherokee 180 time. I understand the minimums in type, etc. From the insurance companies/employers perspective is time equivalent across the board?

I understand the major distinctions, but, all thing equal, is time = to time?

If I want to get to a big number, what should I fly?
Zwestwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #2  
Wow...
 
TheFly's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Yoke in left hand
Posts: 2,060
Default

Get your CFI/CFII and instruct.
TheFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: AA A320
Posts: 1,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
Get your CFI/CFII and instruct.
Not everyone lives in an area that has great instructing potential. I instructed for 2 years and only accumulated 400 hours given.
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: 747 Captain
Posts: 927
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwestwood View Post
Question from a complete newbie. I am 15 hours into this life and I am questioning how to build "quality time". Is time equivalent to time? or is a 150/152 time qualitatively different than 172/cherokee 180 time. I understand the minimums in type, etc. From the insurance companies/employers perspective is time equivalent across the board?

I understand the major distinctions, but, all thing equal, is time = to time?

If I want to get to a big number, what should I fly?
In a few words; "Time is time" Getting 1000 hours in a Cessna 150 is just as good as anything else if that is all you can afford. Nearly 40 years ago I was a newbie trying to land an airline job. I bought an airplane and flew my tail off. I finally got my Pilot's license and then my instrument and then my commercial eventually working thru my CFII and Multi-I and ATP. Eventually I accumulated 1200 hours which qualified me to fly Part 135 Bank Checks and night freight. Well, I'm here to tell you that you will have some pretty crummy flying jobs along the way but eventually you will land an airline job - like I did. Make sure you get your college degree - in anything (Airlines don't care what kind of degree you have; just get one). I'm now a 747 Captain at a major airline and I am here to tell you, it is the best job anybody could ever want. One thing to keep in mind while you are working your way to achieve your goal: It's not necessarily the best pilots on the planet that land the airline jobs; it's the persistent and lucky ones. Best of luck!
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Navmode's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2013
Posts: 758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudawg View Post
In a few words; "Time is time" Getting 1000 hours in a Cessna 150 is just as good as anything else if that is all you can afford.
I have to disagree. I've checked out multiple people in several airplanes for a part 91 operation I worked for, and it was always immediately obvious who's time was 99% in a c172, pa28 flying in circles. op: time is time when it comes to getting your certificates, however after you have all your ratings, you really want to get time that is "useful". By this I mean different types of flying, weather, airspace, etc.

Keep in mind that someone who has a lot of multi engine time, has flown internationally, and is comfortable flying through weather and using instrument procedures is a lot stronger of a job candidate than someone with the same total time but all in a 180hp single flying locally.
Navmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: 747 Captain
Posts: 927
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navmode View Post
I have to disagree. I've checked out multiple people in several airplanes for a part 91 operation I worked for, and it was always immediately obvious who's time was 99% in a c172, pa28 flying in circles. op: time is time when it comes to getting your certificates, however after you have all your ratings, you really want to get time that is "useful". By this I mean different types of flying, weather, airspace, etc.

Keep in mind that someone who has a lot of multi engine time, has flown internationally, and is comfortable flying through weather and using instrument procedures is a lot stronger of a job candidate than someone with the same total time but all in a 180hp single flying locally.
I'm referring to the overall objective of building time; not comparing a C-150 pilot with a C-182 or Bonanza pilot. What I'm saying is build your time in whatever you can afford. Of course at a certain point, in order to progress up the ranks you are going to need some complex aircraft time as well as turbine time but build your total time as cheaply as you can. Remember, the new 1500 hour FAA screw job, which is nothing more than window dressing, is a total time requirement - not so much time in trainers, so much time in complex airplanes, so much time in multi etc. It is a "Total time" filter - that's all. Acquiring 1500 hours total time will get you into the right seat of an RJ in a few years.
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multi time building WS6flyer Part 91 and Low Time 13 08-20-2012 09:19 AM
Aviator Time building? Socal Multi time building ? Elcapiperu Flight Schools and Training 2 12-22-2008 08:25 PM
Multi engine time building in North East, Boston area. shraer Flight Schools and Training 1 06-09-2008 02:55 PM
Building Multi Time for Regionals jesduke1102 Regional 38 06-07-2008 08:47 AM
Creative PPL to ATP time building KennyG1700 Flight Schools and Training 11 03-10-2007 03:34 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:07 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright 2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1