Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 431
Default Air Canada approves Facial Hair

Air Canada pilots may now sport beards up to 1.25 cm, thanks to a new study that proves there is ZERO interference with O2 masks. They join fellow N.A. airlines WestJet and Hawaiian, in permitting facial hair in the cockpit.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ards-1.4825104

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...rds/ar-BBNlz0A
Fr8Thrust is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 12:38 AM   #2  
All is fine at .79
 
TiredSoul's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot
Posts: 1,747
Default

Now it’s waiting for the FAA....it’s a stupid rule and always has been.
TiredSoul is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 04:01 AM   #3  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: A320 Left
Posts: 89
Default

Have worn a beard for years now, and i have colleagues who have worn one pretty much all their working life. There was never a restriction from the regulator about it, just a warning that one should take into account slightly elevated O2 usage in case it is needed. But that has been in europe, no idea about regulators elsewhere.

Now, airlines might have some rules what kind of beards are allowed, most that i know do not allow stubble, but that is more an aesthetic thing than anything else.
Denti is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captjns's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar
Posts: 5,088
Default

Wow! Stop the presses!
captjns is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 07:36 AM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denti View Post
Have worn a beard for years now, and i have colleagues who have worn one pretty much all their working life. There was never a restriction from the regulator about it, just a warning that one should take into account slightly elevated O2 usage in case it is needed. But that has been in europe, no idea about regulators elsewhere.

Now, airlines might have some rules what kind of beards are allowed, most that i know do not allow stubble, but that is more an aesthetic thing than anything else.
1.25 cm IS stubble.
Excargodog is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #6  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Posts: 312
Default

The Deltoids are going to look very Titanic
deus ex machina is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #7  
Moderator
 
tomgoodman's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: 767A (Ret)
Posts: 5,461
Default

We double-breasted van admirals are prone to “beard creep”.

tomgoodman is online now  
Old 09-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #8  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: A320 Left
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
1.25 cm IS stubble.
Half an inch is stubble? Guess we have a different definition over here in europe
Denti is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denti View Post
Half an inch is stubble? Guess we have a different definition over here in europe
Depends on if you are talking mustache or beard.

And yeah, the Yank really does understand metric.
Excargodog is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Cheddar's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2011
Posts: 698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
Now it’s waiting for the FAA....it’s a stupid rule and always has been.


FAA doesn’t care. Many part 121 and 129 operators have beards. Just a ‘legacy airline’ bias.

[emoji848] and I thought I was supposed to surrender my unconscious biases...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheddar is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Canada RFP to include US regionals BHopper88 Regional 40 09-27-2013 10:30 AM
Text of Air France conversation with tower Sir James Hangar Talk 0 08-04-2005 04:31 PM
banner year for Air Cargo Freighter Captain Cargo 0 07-09-2005 09:27 PM
Air Canada-AWA merger talks RockBottom Major 0 04-29-2005 07:34 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:11 AM.