Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Foreign (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/foreign/)
-   -   Commuting from overseas (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/foreign/137816-commuting-overseas.html)

MrIceCreamMan 05-25-2022 06:47 AM

Commuting from overseas
 
I scrolled through a couple of pages of threads to see if this has been discussed, but I didn't see anything so I'm going to go ahead and ask the question.

Does anyone have experience living overseas (Europe, or otherwise) and commuting to the US to work?

If so, what has your experience been?

What pitfalls did you run into?

Are you still doing it?



Thanks to anyone who has experience with this.

4dalulz 05-25-2022 10:32 AM


Originally Posted by MrIceCreamMan (Post 3429378)
I scrolled through a couple of pages of threads to see if this has been discussed, but I didn't see anything so I'm going to go ahead and ask the question.

Does anyone have experience living overseas (Europe, or otherwise) and commuting to the US to work?

If so, what has your experience been?

What pitfalls did you run into?

Are you still doing it?



Thanks to anyone who has experience with this.

The following is for working for a US "airline"... I have no idea about places like Emirates, Qatar, Cathay, Korean, etc.; they used to be considered "the best" for international commuters but I never bought the hype and stuck to ACMIs.

To wit, your best bets are with ACMIs (Atlas, Kalitta, Lynden*, Omni, Western Global, etc.) -or- similar types of flying that involves long "rotations". I've heard of it done at other airlines (DAL, UAL, & SWA) "with seniority", but not from day 1 and not with a measurable level of stability and consistency.

You need to "work" with scheduling and be willing to give up "which" days off you get in the interest of the quantity you get in a row to minimize commuting - otherwise the whole proposition becomes a bit ludicrous since you can sometimes be talking about 20 hours commutes (and who wants to do that twice a week?).

Several folks I know (as well as myself) have whittled our commutes down to 5 "out" and 5 "in" trips per year (month on month off schedules and using vacation). We're all at ACMIs and live in Southeast Asia, Europe, and Brazil.

*Would probably hire any C130 guy on the spot since all they have is Herks.

MrIceCreamMan 05-25-2022 11:07 AM


Originally Posted by 4dalulz (Post 3429514)
The following is for working for a US "airline"... I have no idea about places like Emirates, Qatar, Cathay, Korean, etc.; they used to be considered "the best" for international commuters but I never bought the hype and stuck to ACMIs.

To wit, your best bets are with ACMIs (Atlas, Kalitta, Lynden*, Omni, Western Global, etc.) -or- similar types of flying that involves long "rotations". I've heard of it done at other airlines (DAL, UAL, & SWA) "with seniority", but not from day 1 and not with a measurable level of stability and consistency.

You need to "work" with scheduling and be willing to give up "which" days off you get in the interest of the quantity you get in a row to minimize commuting - otherwise the whole proposition becomes a bit ludicrous since you can sometimes be talking about 20 hours commutes (and who wants to do that twice a week?).

Several folks I know (as well as myself) have whittled our commutes down to 5 "out" and 5 "in" trips per year (month on month off schedules and using vacation). We're all at ACMIs and live in Southeast Asia, Europe, and Brazil.

*Would probably hire any C130 guy on the spot since all they have is Herks.

This is great information! Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

rickair7777 05-25-2022 09:10 PM

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/m...us-europe.html

31wins 05-26-2022 07:36 PM

Uhnd12jsxcvsdf
 
https://angosiam.com/---/
https://sanakanwalfashion.com/---/
https://sanakanwalfashion.com/-/
https://sanakanwalfashion.com/---/
https://angosiam.com/----/

tailwheel48 05-27-2022 05:05 AM

I'm retired from UAL and over the years knew many guys who commuted from Europe and points beyond. Some from as far afield as Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and various points in Asia. It can be done but is not for the faint of heart!

4dalulz 05-27-2022 11:02 AM

Seems legit.

Typhoonpilot 05-27-2022 01:07 PM


Originally Posted by MrIceCreamMan (Post 3429378)
I scrolled through a couple of pages of threads to see if this has been discussed, but I didn't see anything so I'm going to go ahead and ask the question.

Does anyone have experience living overseas (Europe, or otherwise) and commuting to the US to work?

If so, what has your experience been?

What pitfalls did you run into?

Are you still doing it?



Thanks to anyone who has experience with this.

Go to Delta. Get into a base/seat where you can drop trips and make yourself a good schedule to commute.

Go to Fedex, get the Cologne base

MrIceCreamMan 05-28-2022 07:44 AM


Originally Posted by Typhoonpilot (Post 3430771)
Go to Delta. Get into a base/seat where you can drop trips and make yourself a good schedule to commute.



Go to Fedex, get the Cologne base

Cologne is beautiful! I took a road trip up there last October. I did notice that FedEx has a base there. That would be a great option some day if everything works out.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

sailingfun 05-28-2022 08:25 AM


Originally Posted by MrIceCreamMan (Post 3431069)
Cologne is beautiful! I took a road trip up there last October. I did notice that FedEx has a base there. That would be a great option some day if everything works out.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that if US based you will have to pay US taxes. How taxes are handled where you live would vary by country.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:49 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright 2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands