Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #11  
Line Holder
 
FlightPhoenix's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Posts: 33
Default

How does one apply to JAL? Do they hire Americans?
FlightPhoenix is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 11:58 PM   #12  
Gets Weekends Off
 
LostInAsia's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawTriGuy View Post
Lost

Great info... Thanks. Got a couple more questions for you.

How is your schedule when you are working? Is the company counting a 24 hour period off at an outstation as a day off for 24 in 7 issues?

Also how many hours are you flying a month. I noticed that the contract pay was for 70 hours. What is your monthly line average?

Are you on PAX or Cargo? How are the crews you fly with? Which contract company are you with? How do you like them?

Thanks,
The schedules are pretty good. You dont bid for a schedule like you normally do in the US. You tell our scheduler what 10 days off you want, then he builds your schedule around those days off. You can tell him your entire year's choice at once and you are 99% sure to get those days for the year. The only month that seems to have a few issues is December around Christmas and New Years. The schedules here are still built by hand and our guy is outstanding and accommodating everyone.

I just got back from my 10 days off and did a HNL trip. I have a blank day tomorrow, then 3 days of china flights, then a blank day, SIN trip, blank day, HKG trip, blank day, HNL trip then I am off Aug 17 - Sept 10.

There is a difference between days off and "blank days". Your 10 days off per month are they days you are back home in Japan. You will also have free days with no duty while you are in Japan. Those are called blank days. You have no responsibility to answer your phone, but you can have your schedule changed to something else. So its not a hard day off, but I have never worked on one. I usually have at least one blank day per week.

The company can count your time at an outstation as rest period. It doesnt really become much of an issue though.

Typically, schedules are built right to 70 hours. Right now though we are very short, especially on FOs, so we are flying more. I have had overtime the last 3 months. Once we are properly staffed, I would plan on 70 hours per month.

I am on the PAX contract with Parc. I am happy with them so far. My pay is correct and on time every month and they have always responded to my questions quickly.

Most of the crews are pretty good. Like anywhere you have the occasional odd ball, but all in all it is a good group of guys.
LostInAsia is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 03:56 AM   #13  
Gets Weekends Off
 
KoruPilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Contract purgatory
Posts: 701
Default

FlightPhoenix

Not sure if JAL hires for their mainline outfit, but JALways hires thorugh WASINC and Hawaiian Aviation; check the websites.

I have heard the odd JAL callsign out of Narita made by a westerner, but more often it is JALways. At any rate, perhaps EKBirdcage or LostInAsia can shed some light for you, or just check out the contract agencies that I have mentioned.

Good luck.
KoruPilot is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #14  
Gets Weekends Off
 
aupilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2007
Posts: 138
Default

LostInAsia...Are the days off from Aug 17th to Sep 10th because you have vacation or were you able to work those days off with your scheduler?

Also, what do you do for housing between trips?
aupilot is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #15  
Gets Weekends Off
 
LostInAsia's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 166
Default

I took 4 vacation days, then the last 10 days of Aug / 1st 10 days of Sept. I have an apartment in NRT.... some guys have apartments, some stay in hotels.
LostInAsia is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 04:42 PM   #16  
Line Holder
 
FlightPhoenix's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Posts: 33
Default

Thank you!
FlightPhoenix is offline  
Old 08-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #17  
Line Holder
 
RawTriGuy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: B-737 CA, TRI
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInAsia View Post
The schedules are pretty good. You dont bid for a schedule like you normally do in the US. You tell our scheduler what 10 days off you want, then he builds your schedule around those days off. You can tell him your entire year's choice at once and you are 99% sure to get those days for the year. The only month that seems to have a few issues is December around Christmas and New Years. The schedules here are still built by hand and our guy is outstanding and accommodating everyone.

I just got back from my 10 days off and did a HNL trip. I have a blank day tomorrow, then 3 days of china flights, then a blank day, SIN trip, blank day, HKG trip, blank day, HNL trip then I am off Aug 17 - Sept 10.

There is a difference between days off and "blank days". Your 10 days off per month are they days you are back home in Japan. You will also have free days with no duty while you are in Japan. Those are called blank days. You have no responsibility to answer your phone, but you can have your schedule changed to something else. So its not a hard day off, but I have never worked on one. I usually have at least one blank day per week.

The company can count your time at an outstation as rest period. It doesnt really become much of an issue though.

Typically, schedules are built right to 70 hours. Right now though we are very short, especially on FOs, so we are flying more. I have had overtime the last 3 months. Once we are properly staffed, I would plan on 70 hours per month.

I am on the PAX contract with Parc. I am happy with them so far. My pay is correct and on time every month and they have always responded to my questions quickly.

Most of the crews are pretty good. Like anywhere you have the occasional odd ball, but all in all it is a good group of guys.
Lost,

Thanks for all the great info! Sounds like a pretty good gig. From everything I have read Parc seems to be a pretty reputable company. It is good to hear you confirm that. A couple more questions if I may...

Do they hire women / are there any women curretly flying on either of the contracts?

How far into your contract are you? Several of the websites are stating that an upgrade will most likely occur in the first contract period. Is that what you are hearing as well? If so what are they telling you guys?

Reading some of your past post looks like you where flying in the US before you went over. Just curious where you came from/who you where flying for?

Last but not least what does you NRT apartment run you every month?

Thanks again,
RawTriGuy is offline  
Old 08-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #18  
Line Holder
 
fr8doggr's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Uncomfortable
Posts: 31
Default

Isn't it true that the training program for either of those contracts is 6- 8 months with no time to commute home during those months? Eight months in a row is a long time to be away from the US.
fr8doggr is offline  
Old 08-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #19  
Gets Weekends Off
 
LostInAsia's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawTriGuy View Post
Lost,

Thanks for all the great info! Sounds like a pretty good gig. From everything I have read Parc seems to be a pretty reputable company. It is good to hear you confirm that. A couple more questions if I may...

Do they hire women / are there any women curretly flying on either of the contracts?

How far into your contract are you? Several of the websites are stating that an upgrade will most likely occur in the first contract period. Is that what you are hearing as well? If so what are they telling you guys?

Reading some of your past post looks like you where flying in the US before you went over. Just curious where you came from/who you where flying for?

Last but not least what does you NRT apartment run you every month?

Thanks again,
No women on any of the contracts at ANA. There are only 3 pilots in all of ANA so I would suspect that it will take a while before it will happen at the contact companies.

I am about 1.5 years into the contract now. I have been told upgrade for me should be expected in 2009.

I came from a regional in the US before.

Mine is a 3 bedroom, only about 2 minutes from the JR train station... It runs me Y120,000 per month. There are much cheaper options though.
LostInAsia is offline  
Old 08-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #20  
Gets Weekends Off
 
LostInAsia's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8doggr View Post
Isn't it true that the training program for either of those contracts is 6- 8 months with no time to commute home during those months? Eight months in a row is a long time to be away from the US.
That is correct. On the passenger side you are given a small furnished apartment in Tokyo. I had my wife come up for most of the time so that made it much more tolerable. Training is difficult and long but the rewards are worth it in my opinion.
LostInAsia is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jumpseating on Skywest freightdog Regional 64 12-03-2009 03:17 PM
FDX - Fedex Mexico boost Cargo 20 06-07-2009 06:40 PM
Pacific Wings charges its pilots for CASS cencal83406 Regional 17 02-03-2009 08:19 PM
Rwy Incursion Lowlevel Regional 37 02-03-2009 11:04 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:57 AM.