Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 07:15 PM   #131  
Gets Weekends Off
 
jetlag7's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: CL650
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part135 Guy View Post
IF and I say IF the TA passes... which it looks like it will, base on the hoard of NJA pilots I've talked to in the last 3 weeks, then the other frax will have to compete with salary and/or compensation packages or else risk losing their pilot base.
Either that or start to lower their minimums just like the regionals have been doing....

[SARCASM "ON"] Why pay a decent wage for experienced pilots when we can lower our hiring minimums and recruit "fresh outta' school newbies" who will work for peanuts!! -- Think of the $$ we'll save!!! Yeeeehaw!!! [SARCASM "OFF"]
jetlag7 is offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 07:31 PM   #132  
Sitting on the sidelines
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag7 View Post
Either that or start to lower their minimums just like the regionals have been doing....

[SARCASM "ON"] Why pay a decent wage for experienced pilots when we can lower our hiring minimums and recruit "fresh outta' school newbies" who will work for peanuts!! -- Think of the $$ we'll save!!! Yeeeehaw!!! [SARCASM "OFF"]

I know Flexjet is already reviewing the TA, assuming it will pass. Indications are that there will be a revision to their pay scale in the spring. Actively hiring, with interviews scheduled within a week or two and class dates within a month normally available.
Navajo31 is offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 10:38 PM   #133  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Sep 2007
Posts: 44
Default

Alright, I know this topic is about the new TA, but this is the thread all us prospects are watching. So: you NetJets cadre give us some examples of "a week in the life".

Let's say you're taking CEO Bob to Aspen for a ski trip/ "business" meeting. Do you hang out in Aspen for a day or two waiting for Bob (and get some runs in yourself!) or do you drop his A$$ off then haul butt over to Denver to pick up Rockstar Neal and zip him to his Record Signing in New York, get some sleep and then off to Ft Lauderdale for SuperModel Steve?

Y'all just humor us know-nothings; I'm trying to have some fun here-- and learn about the business in the process! If this scenario is 180-out from the norm, then what's the real thing like?

Thanks!

(Oh, and I guess a different crew picked up Bob in Aspen??)
Roadking is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 AM   #134  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jan 2007
Posts: 149
Default

Not too many dudes, usually one dude with several hot women, or just the hot women traveling alone.
NetJets_DA2Easy is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 05:30 AM   #135  
Gets Weekends Off
 
NJA Capt's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Left Front
Posts: 191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
...then what's the real thing like?
Very little sit and wait, that is corporate flying. We fly 4 to 6 legs per day "drop and go. Sometimes we sit at the airport as a "back up" aircraft, but for the most part we leave and another plane flies the return leg. And no, it is not all super models and rock stars.
NJA Capt is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 06:04 AM   #136  
Gets Weekends Off
 
texaspilot76's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Right Seat
Posts: 1,328
Default

Do you guys ever get nice tips from your clients?
texaspilot76 is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 AM   #137  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navajo31 View Post
I know Flexjet is already reviewing the TA, assuming it will pass. Indications are that there will be a revision to their pay scale in the spring. Actively hiring, with interviews scheduled within a week or two and class dates within a month normally available.
Sucks that everyone rides NJA coattails, and just gets a pay bump a little less than NJA. Get organized! leap frog and do the Frax industry pilots some good.
jmack is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #138  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Posts: 476
Default

I hope NJA does raise the bar for the others, but hiring less than 500 pilots per year isn't going to put the others out of business if they don't raise their pay. It will make it harder for them to attract the best pilots, but there will always be pilots out there who will do the same job for less. I would bet NJA will hire some guys who leave the competition, but we just won't ever be hiring enough to crush the competition that way. Hopefully all the competition will eventually jump on the union bandwagon and push things up beyond NJA like jmack said. Back when ALPA did a good job, that is exactly what they did.

As far as tips go, they are there every once in a while. I've gotten tips twice in '07 and it is really not something you can count on. I've heard the larger airplanes get them more, but I don't know what is real from what is just stories. You will watch the owner give out 100 dollar bills to the line guys that did very little while you loaded and unloaded the airplane and got nothing, but the owners are told not to tip us so they rarely do.
jtf560 is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 04:44 PM   #139  
Line Holder
 
NorthTxFlyBoy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Citation X, SIC
Posts: 75
Default

Tips are really sporadic. I had gone a couple of months without a single one, then got $350 in a week.

-NTFB
NorthTxFlyBoy is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #140  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Mar 2005
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtf560 View Post
I hope NJA does raise the bar for the others, but hiring less than 500 pilots per year isn't going to put the others out of business if they don't raise their pay. It will make it harder for them to attract the best pilots, but there will always be pilots out there who will do the same job for less. I would bet NJA will hire some guys who leave the competition, but we just won't ever be hiring enough to crush the competition that way. Hopefully all the competition will eventually jump on the union bandwagon and push things up beyond NJA like jmack said. Back when ALPA did a good job, that is exactly what they did.

As far as tips go, they are there every once in a while. I've gotten tips twice in '07 and it is really not something you can count on. I've heard the larger airplanes get them more, but I don't know what is real from what is just stories. You will watch the owner give out 100 dollar bills to the line guys that did very little while you loaded and unloaded the airplane and got nothing, but the owners are told not to tip us so they rarely do.
Have to agree with this. This TA seems to be a "keep the pilots happy TA" and prevent some losses to the majors and Part 91's as their hiring ramps up. I'm sure the other fracs will lose pilots to NJ but unless their losing 20% or more of their pilots each year, it probably won't have too much of an effect on those other fracs. I'd guess this new TA COUPLED with opportunities elsewhere might force at least some adjustments upward in pay and benefits. That's a great thing but I don't think this TA alone will do it.

Mr. I.
Mr. Irrelevant is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USAFR Pay L'il J.Seinfeld Military 39 03-08-2013 03:45 PM
So, you want to be an airline pilot? captain_drew Flight Schools and Training 38 12-05-2012 09:29 AM
Netjets pay mike734 Fractional 19 01-03-2006 11:38 AM
Pilot Pay...looking ahead. mooneymite Hangar Talk 0 12-21-2005 04:58 PM
Cost of living/inflation to our pay..... FNG320 JetBlue 2 06-27-2005 05:13 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:31 PM.