Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Closed
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 10:53 AM   #21  
Gets Weekends Off
 
box-hauler's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: back in the right seat 121
Posts: 144
Default

Before I started flying the boxes, I always wanted to know who else was a qualified airman in case of an emergency. Knowing you have another useful crewmember in the back can be a real help for whatever the situation, so yes I think if you are in uniform you should stop in and say hi, paying passenger or not.

This is something else you might want to consider. Even if you are a paying passenger if something happens all the other cattle will be looking at you, probably even more than the flight attendant to do something just because you are in a pilot uniform......

P.S. why is it in your company manula to wear the uniform while traveling, is it a customer relations (P.R.) thing?
box-hauler is offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 11:04 AM   #22  
Gets Weekends Off
 
jrmyl's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 767-300ER
Posts: 277
Default

It is in our manual to be in uniform on the first day since we could very likely be operating a flight when we arrive at our destination. On the last day when we are going home is up to us what we do. I usually leave it on simply for the ease of going through security.
jrmyl is offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #23  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Isn't it funny how the perceptions vary from person to person? Like I said earlier, I certainly don't find it inviting anymore to stick my head into the cockpit and try to engage the pilots in conversation before or after a flight (except on charters that I have been on) From the above statement; I would think that you actually want me to stop by and chat. I'll be flying Delta on Tuesday - maybe I'll give it a shot

In any case everyone - let's not try to turn this thread into another "do pilots who are not JS'ing or Non-rev'ing have to check in with the Captain. That question was exhaustively covered in a previous thread.

USMCFLYR
I certainly don't mind (and by the way, at the risk of big Delta guys getting upset I'm "just" a Delta Connection guy), and if you do happen to drop in on myself or the Captain I certainly won't blow you off or seem annoyed that you did. Anyways.... much ado about nothing IMHO.
cencal83406 is offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #24  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Oct 2008
Posts: 2
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy37 View Post
You ever been at First in TEB or Signature PBI. If we had to talk to every NJ pilot there would be no one left to fly.
No kidding..... one see's yellow ties everywhere....and at times it is a sic you have flown with before, and yes you do acknowledge them, but you sure do not want to have a conversation with them. The fact that most of your FA's think we are jumpseating and treat us like we are catching a free ride when in fact we are paying top dollar for a ticket to sit in the back row next to the lav....I have been told they are out of Diet Coke as we are just jumpseating....ahhh, no..... actually if some of your FA's were nicer it may make a difference on how we feel when we get off the flight.
Let's face it...this is a ugly business no matter who you work for.
Flyin4alivin is offline  
Old 10-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #25  
Gets Weekends Off
 
FlyFastLiveSlow's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: On the Rock
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAB View Post
Alrighty...after giving dozens of rides to NetJets Pilots over the last couple of years, I can not remember even a single one acknowledging me or my crew's mere existence...Today flying into ORD, for example, I smiled and nodded to the NetJets Captain walking off my aircraft and still he did not so much as look up!
So the flexjet, citation shares, avantair folks all pop in and say thanks for the ride? As a pilot (military) I try to smile and say thanks as I'm leaving the aircraft, but I have probably missed a few myself. However, when I read your post, I thought of it a different way. They are all paying customers, not somebody getting a free airline ride. In the customer service sense, wouldn't you as the crew go out of your way to acknowledge them and ask how their flight was. As a mil executive airlift guy, I'm the one making sure everything is perfect for my pax. If I get a thank you, great--but I don't expect it. They are the customer and I'm the one providing the service. Next time, ask them how the flight was and thank them for flying your airline even though you both know they didn't choose or buy the ticket themselves. Then gauge what kind of response you get. Unfortunately, airline flying has lost all of the fun and excitement it might have once posessed. I realize that it's not the crew's doing, but flying on the airlines sucks--even with first class and/or racking up free miles.

I was also curious about the "we both fly small airplanes" comment. I'd choose a long range business jet over any airliner, whether as a pilot or a passenger. Are wide body or heavy airplanes still the top of the food chain?
FlyFastLiveSlow is offline  
Old 10-21-2008, 06:28 AM   #26  
Sitting on the sidelines
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Posts: 434
Default

I think EVERY passenger should acknowledge the work the flight crew member who made the effort to get off his rump to thank his passengers as they exit. I know I make an effort to do that - and feel like the "hired help" when our passengers don't look up as they walk off the plane.

I don't stop for conversation at that point because I know there are dozens of people behind me wanting to get off to make their connecting flight. I try to be respectful of them as well.

I've had a couple of instances where I was mistaken for a jumpseater. I quickly explain my status as a paying customer, and have never gotten anything from appreciation from the flight crew. Back when we were hiring, I also got my share of resumes!

I must also say, I have had more than my fair share of conversations with NetJet pilots all over the country. If there are jerks who work there, I haven't met them yet.

See you all in Teterboro!
Navajo31 is offline  
Old 10-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #27  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin4alivin View Post
No kidding..... one see's yellow ties everywhere....and at times it is a sic you have flown with before, and yes you do acknowledge them, but you sure do not want to have a conversation with them. The fact that most of your FA's think we are jumpseating and treat us like we are catching a free ride when in fact we are paying top dollar for a ticket to sit in the back row next to the lav....I have been told they are out of Diet Coke as we are just jumpseating....ahhh, no..... actually if some of your FA's were nicer it may make a difference on how we feel when we get off the flight.
Let's face it...this is a ugly business no matter who you work for.
Wow. Ok, I work for brand "F", but I must admit I have been treated with the utmost courtesy on most airlines. Even to the point of being offered free goodies when others pay, offered a bottle of water on the way out "for the road" etc.
I don't stick my head in the cockpit, I think that might be an intrusion, but if a cockpit crewmember is standing by the door, I always thank them for a nice, safe flight. I always thank the cabin crew, even the few that have not performed well. Never burn a bridge, maybe just a bad day, or hey, we are all in this together anyway.
Just my take on the stuff.
Learguy is offline  
Old 10-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #28  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,512
Default

Okay...been out with just the iPhone for a week and was not about to type up all this...so here it goes. Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cencal83406 View Post
If you pay for your ticket, I don't expect you to come up front to "ask" for a ride and say hi. Heck, none of the other customers seem to give a crap that there are people sitting up front... unless they have something smart to say.
I don't think any of us are looking for you to "ask" for a ride...Just acknowledge us as Professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmyl View Post
I only left Comair back in March for NJ so I still feel a connection with the regional pilots. Not sure what that captains problem was, but I always acknowledge the crew as I am getting off the plane. That is if they are standing in the doorway. I obviously won't stick my head upfront since I don't feel that is necessary. No other paying passenger would do that. Well, maybe none, but most other paying passengers.
Jrmyl
I'd be thrilled just to get eye contact from a NetJets guy LoL...Y'all are just in so much of a hurry to get off our planes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin4alivin View Post
No kidding..... one see's yellow ties everywhere....and at times it is a sic you have flown with before, and yes you do acknowledge them, but you sure do not want to have a conversation with them. The fact that most of your FA's think we are jumpseating and treat us like we are catching a free ride when in fact we are paying top dollar for a ticket to sit in the back row next to the lav....I have been told they are out of Diet Coke as we are just jumpseating....ahhh, no..... actually if some of your FA's were nicer it may make a difference on how we feel when we get off the flight.
Let's face it...this is a ugly business no matter who you work for.
...Flight Attendants...can't live with 'em, can't fly without 'em...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFastLiveSlow View Post
So the flexjet, citation shares, avantair folks all pop in and say thanks for the ride? As a pilot (military) I try to smile and say thanks as I'm leaving the aircraft, but I have probably missed a few myself. However, when I read your post, I thought of it a different way. They are all paying customers, not somebody getting a free airline ride. In the customer service sense, wouldn't you as the crew go out of your way to acknowledge them and ask how their flight was. As a mil executive airlift guy, I'm the one making sure everything is perfect for my pax. If I get a thank you, great--but I don't expect it. They are the customer and I'm the one providing the service. Next time, ask them how the flight was and thank them for flying your airline even though you both know they didn't choose or buy the ticket themselves. Then gauge what kind of response you get. Unfortunately, airline flying has lost all of the fun and excitement it might have once posessed. I realize that it's not the crew's doing, but flying on the airlines sucks--even with first class and/or racking up free miles.

I was also curious about the "we both fly small airplanes" comment. I'd choose a long range business jet over any airliner, whether as a pilot or a passenger. Are wide body or heavy airplanes still the top of the food chain?
Absolutely! We'd be more than happy to ask them how their flight was, and even thank them, but that would require a little effort on their part as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learguy View Post
Wow. Ok, I work for brand "F", but I must admit I have been treated with the utmost courtesy on most airlines. Even to the point of being offered free goodies when others pay, offered a bottle of water on the way out "for the road" etc.
I don't stick my head in the cockpit, I think that might be an intrusion, but if a cockpit crewmember is standing by the door, I always thank them for a nice, safe flight. I always thank the cabin crew, even the few that have not performed well. Never burn a bridge, maybe just a bad day, or hey, we are all in this together anyway.
Just my take on the stuff.
That's all we ask! From one Professional Pilot to another!

Think of it this way...When I pay a fare on the City Bus, I greet the driver as I step in, and I am always sure to say "thank you" and "goodbye" to the driver as I step off the bus. It's just common courtesy! Heck, I even said thank you to the driver of the UAL employee shuttle that nearly got us creamed by a 744 pushing back (as it was, the outboard 15 feet or so of wing passed over the bus, and engine 4 wasn't too far off!).

Maybe I've just come across NetJets' "dirty" dozen LoL. Nonetheless, I'm happy to give y'all a ride anytime!
ExperimentalAB is offline  
Old 10-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #29  
Gets Weekends Off
 
USMCFLYR's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'
Posts: 11,610
Default

Quote:
Absolutely! We'd be more than happy to ask them how their flight was, and even thank them, but that would require a little effort on their part as well



That's all we ask! From one Professional Pilot to another!
I said I would try it on this trip so I did. Worse trip from start to finish in a VERY long time btw - and I'm including the 3 hr delay in the grapevine to go 3 miles that made me miss my scheduled flight.
Ended up on SWA. Never got a chance to even see a pilot's face in the cockpit; then after the final leg out in the terminal I caught up with the FO. I thanked him for the flight.
Btw - for all of those customer service questions about -121 and fractionals......I saw a pilot helping a lady in a wheelchair down the jetway.

USMCFLYR
USMCFLYR is offline  
Old 10-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #30  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: CE-560XL(S)
Posts: 12
Default

I'm a Netjets Pilot,

I flew on Pinnacle today home from MSP to CVG. I wasn't in uniform, but I still stuck my head in the cockpit and said hi. Mostly to let them know a CRJ typed pilot was in the back, but I also wanted to see how things were going there (I'm former Comair as well).

I can say that I usually will stick my head up front on Comair, sometimes on other "regional" airlines because I usually get bombed with questions. However I never do it while flying on a major. I don't know why, I just don't.

However, every time I deplane I thank the pilot for a safe flight. ALWAYS!

That's all

-Me-
QSflyer is offline  
 
 
 

 
Closed
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skybus 2 DWN3GRN Major 81 11-17-2008 01:04 PM
Usapa attempts to have AWA pilots fired. cactiboss Major 87 10-03-2008 02:24 PM
Merger Basics For the Future flyharm Mergers and Acquisitions 5 09-11-2008 05:08 PM
Thanks UPS pilots for showing a lot of class and good sportsmanship. B727DRVR Cargo 14 08-22-2008 02:23 PM
Go NetJets pilots! zondaracer Fractional 5 08-06-2008 01:01 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:16 PM.