Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2019, 04:16 AM   #1731  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Jun 2019
Posts: 19
Default

jcullen4,

Unfortunately, only you can determine whether the QOL at XO is better or not for YOU. There are very stark differences between the regionals and XO. Schedule, pay (including pickups or “extra” flying), destinations, extra duties, etc. all differentiate between the two, and only you can decide which are your important factors.

As Gundriver64 said, if you ultimately want to end up at a Major 121, then staying 121 is probably your best bet.

Good luck in deciding...
Peabody17 is offline  
Old 08-13-2019, 04:31 AM   #1732  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: May 2017
Posts: 51
Default

Thanks guys.
I guess it's time to figure out what my goal is ...
jcullen4 is offline  
Old 08-13-2019, 06:37 AM   #1733  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,300
Default

Meh. Xojet has had 60 or so pilots that went to SW alone. 121 isn’t necessary anymore.
Learflyer is offline  
Old 08-13-2019, 07:29 AM   #1734  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learflyer View Post
Meh. Xojet has had 60 or so pilots that went to SW alone. 121 isn’t necessary anymore.
Sure, but had they had Part 121 PIC time could they have gotten a call that much sooner? I have buds who sit on hiring committees at majors and they all say Part 121 PIC time is king.
Gundriver64 is offline  
Old 08-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #1735  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,300
Default Xojet

Maybe. I’ve been around a long time and have witnessed how major airline hiring has fluctuated in what they deem “king.” I believe that the four year degree is king right now over 121 PIC. Pretty much EVERYONE hired at a major has one; but not everyone has PIC time. In fact, a ton have zero leadership experience and have never touched a tiller before and were SIC’s for only a short time.
Learflyer is offline  
Old 08-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #1736  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learflyer View Post
Maybe. I’ve been around a long time and have witnessed how major airline hiring has fluctuated in what they deem “king.” I believe that the four year degree is king right now over 121 PIC. Pretty much EVERYONE hired at a major has one; but not everyone has PIC time. In fact, a ton have zero leadership experience and have never touched a tiller before.
The type of time and degree/no degree are separate considerations.
Gundriver64 is offline  
Old 08-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #1737  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: 121
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundriver64 View Post
Sure, but had they had Part 121 PIC time could they have gotten a call that much sooner? I have buds who sit on hiring committees at majors and they all say Part 121 PIC time is king.


I had zero 121 time and made the move to Swa.
Sqwk7700 is offline  
Old 08-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #1738  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqwk7700 View Post
I had zero 121 time and made the move to Swa.
Who here has claimed that it takes 121 time exclusively to make it to some major?

They-meaning the majors, have preferred time which usually translates to either part 121 PIC time and/or military fixed-wing time.

If you think otherwise then you probably believe in the Tooth Fairy as well. I can't help you with that one.
Gundriver64 is offline  
Old 08-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #1739  
Gets Weekends Off
 
MOGuy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: CRJ200; FO
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundriver64 View Post
This topic has been covered ad nauseam. If your goal is the majors, then stay Part 121.
Or come to XO and explore the 135 for a bit. We have a lot of people who have left for just about every major and cargo carrier. Now understand that it will take you longer to get there possibly, and you'll need a more robust resume, but it's doable if you want to come experience some REAL flying before you settle down to ILS-to-ILS for the rest of your career.
MOGuy is offline  
Old 08-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #1740  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Sa227capt's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: B737 FO
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGuy View Post
Or come to XO and explore the 135 for a bit. We have a lot of people who have left for just about every major and cargo carrier. Now understand that it will take you longer to get there possibly, and you'll need a more robust resume, but it's doable if you want to come experience some REAL flying before you settle down to ILS-to-ILS for the rest of your career.

Real Flying? Hopefully you're just being sarcastic.
Sa227capt is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interview gouge XOJET jetjockee Fractional 110 08-19-2014 01:47 PM
Xojet flyhi Corporate 6 01-05-2009 08:23 PM
Former USAirways CEO Siegel Now XOJet CEO Bill Lumberg Fractional 44 10-16-2008 10:08 AM
XOJet expansion plans? USMCFLYR Fractional 17 09-20-2008 05:29 PM
XOJet Maintenance G400driver Fractional 1 09-18-2008 07:52 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:07 PM.