Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
contrails12's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2008
Posts: 267
Default Where was the plan? Is there one?

We knew for months that this virus was inbound.

Whats the plan for masks? Ventilators? Tests? What businesses get shut down and when? Why are we just now working on legislation? on and on

nothing thats happened is a surprise. it happened a few countries over already

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-dom...er-11585013673
contrails12 is offline  
Old 03-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
contrails12's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2008
Posts: 267
Default

Do you think the airlines will voluntarily shut down in lieu of being forced to due to leadership vacuum?
contrails12 is offline  
Old 03-23-2020, 07:24 PM   #3  
Line Holder
 
206321's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2019
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrails12 View Post
Do you think the airlines will voluntarily shut down in lieu of being forced to due to leadership vacuum?
https://thehill.com/policy/transport...hutdown-reportU.S. airlines are drafting plans for a potential voluntary or government-ordered shutdown of passenger flights, The Wall Street Journal reportedMonday night.

Industry and federal officials told the Journal that no final decisions have been made by the carriers or the White House, while airlines currently struggle to operate with limited passengers.

Officials also said other options were under consideration to prevent a shutdown, but the spreading pandemic has made the shut down seem more unavoidable to airline officials, pilot-union leaders and federal transportation officials, according to the Journal.
The Federal Aviation Administration officials are concerned that the virus will spread among agency controllers and technicians as almost a dozen of traffic-control facilities have had to cease operations temporarily after positive cases.

The U.S. airlines have already been hit financially from the virus as most international flights have been canceled and plans have been announced to reduce domestic flights by as much as 40 percent. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) reported an 80 percent drop in travelers Sunday compared to the same day last year.

Carriers, like American Airlines and United Airlines, have been forced to cancel more than 40 percent of their flights Monday because of a lack of passengers, according to Flightaware.com.

An industry official told the Journal that the airlines would “definitely prefer” if the government initiated a shutdown somewhat because they could use it as leverage during calls for federal aid.

But President Trump and his advisers have been reportedly hesitant to issue an order to stop commercial flights partly due to the fact that these aircrafts also carry U.S. mail and essential cargo shipments.

One option for the government to continue cargo shipments is to use portions of the Civil Reserve Air Fleet, which are commercial jets for the Pentagon to use during national emergencies. The fleet would need to be activated by the Pentagon or the White House.

The Pentagon and the White House were not immediately available for comment.

Officials told the newspaper that implementation of any shutdown would take several days.

Several states have issued stay-at-home orders that prevent 80 million U.S. residents from conducting nonessential travel outside of their homes.
206321 is offline  
Old 03-23-2020, 07:24 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Name User's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrails12 View Post
We knew for months that this virus was inbound.

Whats the plan for masks? Ventilators? Tests? What businesses get shut down and when? Why are we just now working on legislation? on and on

nothing thats happened is a surprise. it happened a few countries over already

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-dom...er-11585013673
If you want to be really upset, go to Netflix and look up the series "explained", and find the "pandemic" episode. Filmed about six months ago, it is a good primer on how a pandemic can happen, how SARS was a wake up call, etc. Only 22 mins long. What really hurts is how similar COVID19 is to past events and that this could've been almost totally prevented or at least greatly minimized.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cumentary.html
Name User is offline  
Old 03-23-2020, 07:26 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
2StgTurbine's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,542
Default

FYI a ventilator cost about $20,000 and requires trained operators. Expecting any country to have enough ventilators for a pandemic like this is the same as a passenger expecting an airline to keep a spare aircraft and crew ready to go at EVERY airport.

How would a hospital justify the cost, staff, and space these ventilators would take up? Would the government have to foot the bill? Should the government require hospitals to be prepared for once a century virus outbreaks?
2StgTurbine is online now  
Old 03-23-2020, 07:30 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
contrails12's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2008
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StgTurbine View Post
FYI a ventilator cost about $20,000 and requires trained operators. Expecting any country to have enough ventilators for a pandemic like this is the same as a passenger expecting an airline to keep a spare aircraft and crew ready to go at EVERY airport.

How would a hospital justify the cost, staff, and space these ventilators would take up? Would the government have to foot the bill? Should the government require hospitals to be prepared for once a century virus outbreaks?
Whats an F35 cost these days?
contrails12 is offline  
Old 03-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
2StgTurbine's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrails12 View Post
Whats an F35 cost these days?
I'm not saying you don't have a point, but look at the world we live in. The federal government has been broken for decades. It's incapable of getting anything done. At best we get one major law per administration. People can't even agree on facts. When scientists, experts, or anyone with an education says something that contradicts political beliefs, then they are accused of being in the pockets of "big academia." Our society is incapable of even recognizing problems that other countries have solved with fact based pragmatism. A week ago someone on here even claimed that our American patriotism is what will defeat COVID-19.
2StgTurbine is online now  
Old 03-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Extenda's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2014
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StgTurbine View Post
I'm not saying you don't have a point, but look at the world we live in. The federal government has been broken for decades. It's incapable of getting anything done. At best we get one major law per administration. People can't even agree on facts. When scientists, experts, or anyone with an education says something that contradicts political beliefs, then they are accused of being in the pockets of "big academia." Our society is incapable of even recognizing problems that other countries have solved with fact based pragmatism. A week ago someone on here even claimed that our American patriotism is what will defeat COVID-19.
Truth. How the hell did we come to this? It’s so pathetic.
Extenda is online now  
Old 03-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Turbosina's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extenda View Post
Truth. How the hell did we come to this? It’s so pathetic.
Well, political scientists have been predicting the 21st century would be the Chinese Century. The 20th century (well, 1918-onwards, especially 1945-onwards) absolutely belonged to America. The 21st? Perhaps not so much. China has shown the desire and willingness to project economic and now military force well beyond its borders. That said, they also have their own challenges. Ghost cities built, with no inhabitants. Extreme corruption. Houses of cards built on debt. That, and Chinese culture has never resonated around the world as American culture, especially pop culture, has. English is the global language, not Mandarin or Cantonese. And that still counts for something when you consider a country's global influence.

Then again, in the late 80s we all thought that Japan would quickly surpass the US and become the global economic superpower. I lived and worked in Tokyo the summer it all came apart. What followed was Japan's "Lost Decade." They still haven't fully recovered.

That is where I fear we're headed. Not feral gangs of armed thugs roaming the countryside and pillaging what they can find, "Book of Eli" style. Just a decade-long economic malaise with 15-20% unemployment, crumbling infrastructure, and declining life expectancies. Instead of the Roaring Twenties....perhaps it'll be the Terrible Twenties.

Or someone might discover tomorrow that sniffing glue cures the coronavirus. Then we'll all be saved. I better go buy stock in Elmer's....
Turbosina is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How's our A Fund Doing? 10 year History DLax85 FedEx 112 05-27-2018 06:01 PM
MEC only retirement Vote?? from Block Rep Flaps50 FedEx 129 12-17-2017 05:09 PM
Base Plan vs Buy Up Plan w/Tricare Standard (or other secondary insurance) DLax85 Cargo 11 01-18-2017 07:53 PM
Southwest Pilots 401K Ranked Number 1 shoelu Major 24 12-21-2011 12:20 PM
We Can Make A Valiant Effort to Save the DAL Pension Plan Cardinal Major 0 11-04-2006 11:02 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:42 AM.