Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2020, 04:09 AM   #11  
Line Holder
 
stevecv's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2019
Position: CFI, II
Posts: 26
Default

So many problems with electrification...How do I know the batteries will always be able to hold 100% of their capacity? What about the fact that airplanes get significantly lighter as the burn fuel en-route? What about all the electricity airports would need to charge the batteries? Is every airport going to have its own nuclear reactor?

I want technology to continue to advance, but talk about hurdles...
stevecv is offline  
Old 08-01-2020, 07:02 AM   #12  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 26,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecv View Post
So many problems with electrification...How do I know the batteries will always be able to hold 100% of their capacity? What about the fact that airplanes get significantly lighter as the burn fuel en-route? What about all the electricity airports would need to charge the batteries? Is every airport going to have its own nuclear reactor?

I want technology to continue to advance, but talk about hurdles...
All that's true but the real problem with batteries is energy density/specific energy... just can't carry enough juice.

Mathematically impossible to fly larger planes on longer routes. Battery-powered airlines will, at best, be limit to short regional hops. That might actually happen, but I'm talking maybe one hour flight time, if that.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 08-01-2020, 08:24 AM   #13  
Gets Weekends Off
 
JamesNoBrakes's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player
Posts: 3,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
All that's true but the real problem with batteries is energy density/specific energy... just can't carry enough juice.

Mathematically impossible to fly larger planes on longer routes. Battery-powered airlines will, at best, be limit to short regional hops. That might actually happen, but I'm talking maybe one hour flight time, if that.
And I'd think the secondary problem would be IF you could have adequate battery density, it would seem it'd be better to just use an electric motor to drive a fan, like pretty much every other electric airplane proposal. Using this exotic process to generate a "jet" of air that would still need to turn a fan, seems to add a lot of extra steps that would just waste energy and add weight. Making plasma is not a big deal, you can do it between electrical contacts. Making it on the scale that would actually transfer enough heat to the air and sustaining that would take massive amounts of energy. I would think this is more along the lines of "we found a new/novel way to make plasma", but due to the laws of thermodynamics and physics, it takes a massive amount of energy to create. Otherwise, as said in this thread, they are essentially claiming "free energy".
JamesNoBrakes is offline  
Old 08-01-2020, 06:38 PM   #14  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 26,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
And I'd think the secondary problem would be IF you could have adequate battery density, it would seem it'd be better to just use an electric motor to drive a fan, like pretty much every other electric airplane proposal. Using this exotic process to generate a "jet" of air that would still need to turn a fan, seems to add a lot of extra steps that would just waste energy and add weight. Making plasma is not a big deal, you can do it between electrical contacts. Making it on the scale that would actually transfer enough heat to the air and sustaining that would take massive amounts of energy. I would think this is more along the lines of "we found a new/novel way to make plasma", but due to the laws of thermodynamics and physics, it takes a massive amount of energy to create. Otherwise, as said in this thread, they are essentially claiming "free energy".
Plasma is good for spacecraft, because you have to bring your own reaction mass and it can be accelerated to very high velocities . The more energetic that mass is when it parts company with you, the better your delta-v. And 1/2MV^2 says that a little additional velocity goes a long way, and a lot of additional velocity goes a very, very long way. For a given amount of working mass.

But if you have all the free air you can use, yeah it seems like a fan would be a lot simpler.
rickair7777 is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jetlinx FLPilot50 Part 135 24 12-10-2019 06:03 PM
Oil's up. oldmako United 103 10-25-2019 12:02 PM
Amazon Expanding Shipping Capability Birdsmash Cargo 74 06-11-2019 10:51 AM
Subcontract Airlines (Part 121 "Regional") winglet Regional 47 05-15-2016 09:45 PM
Direct Air files for bankruptcy trent890 Charter 17 04-15-2012 06:39 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:46 PM.