Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Hangar Talk
Increased environmental activism >

Increased environmental activism

Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Increased environmental activism

Old 11-20-2022, 07:28 PM
  #51  
In a land of unicorns
 
Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO
Posts: 5,939
Default

Originally Posted by SonicFlyer View Post
Taxation is theft. And taxation is how socialists want to control others.
This makes no sense. Could you explain further? Especially how this is relevant to socialism?

I bet it blows your mind when I remind you socialism ends up with very low taxation.

But that would require you to know what socialism is.
dera is offline  
Old 11-21-2022, 06:06 AM
  #52  
Perennial Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Excargodog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 9,841
Default

Originally Posted by Wingedbeast View Post
You don't seem to know what socialism is. People like you love to point to the Nordic countries as socialist but they are capitalist.

Socialism ends up with low taxes because the wealth is taken by the "people" aka the government, there is nothing to tax. Nationalizing industry ect.

Anyway this entire thread has drifted. It was originally about brain dead children acting like lunatics because they believe the debunked and laughable predictions of "extinction" because of an unproven theory that humans are causing global warming. They are anti capitalists masquerading as "climate activist"

Shouldn't Miami be under water by now? That was there prediction made in the 90s. Miami under water by 2010.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-s...hare_permalink

An excerpt:

​​​​​​​ But China emits two-thirds more CO2 than Europe and the U.S. combined. Coal accounts for 60% of Chinaís power generation, and more new coal plants are set for approval through 2025 than the entire existing U.S. fleet. China says it needs more coal power for energy security and, unlike Europe and the U.S., it wonít commit climate suicide.
Excargodog is online now  
Old 11-21-2022, 06:52 AM
  #53  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2011
Posts: 969
Default

Originally Posted by Wingedbeast View Post
Shouldn't Miami be under water by now?
It is sinking. Deeper inland via the canals and invisibly worse underground as freshwater aquifers turn to salt. But when it comes to power v. beach powder, FL's 23 million won't be setting thermostats one degree higher. Rising demand for cheap energy is a given. Making existing power generators uneconomic to pave the way for unproven sources is a bad joke. https://youtu.be/cIWzz6wcNug
METO Guido is offline  
Old 11-21-2022, 07:36 AM
  #54  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2022
Posts: 497
Default

Originally Posted by Wingedbeast View Post
You argue with one you have argued with all of them. They all read off the same script.
Oh the irony of this statement. You are the flip side of the same coin.

Itís absolutely fascinating to me that hard core extremists on both sides cant see they truly are the same ridiculous propaganda filled sheep, splayed for slaughter to feed the establishment.

The nice thing is that the adults in the room are going to try and get in front of it despite the shenanigans from both sides. This year marked the first time capital investment for renewable energy outpaced those for oil.

Donít kill your economy, but donít fall prey to right propaganda
Hubcapped is offline  
Old 11-21-2022, 07:57 AM
  #55  
Perennial Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Excargodog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 9,841
Default

Originally Posted by Hubcapped View Post
Oh the irony of this statement. You are the flip side of the same coin.

Itís absolutely fascinating to me that hard core extremists on both sides cant see they truly are the same ridiculous propaganda filled sheep, splayed for slaughter to feed the establishment.

The nice thing is that the adults in the room are going to try and get in front of it despite the shenanigans from both sides. This year marked the first time capital investment for renewable energy outpaced those for oil.

Donít kill your economy, but donít fall prey to right propaganda
I donít know about the accuracy (or lack of same) of the global warming models. Frankly, Iím not sure ANYONE knows about the accuracy of the global warming models, but BASED on those global warming models, there is literally NOTHING that the US and Europe can do to offset the expansion of CO2 release from Chinaís burgeoning coal-fired energy industry. You could reduce the US and European countries industrial CO2 output to zero within five years and that still would not offset the CO2 output increase they are already planning on building over that time.

Itís sort of a heads I win, tails you lose sort of phenomenon mathematically. If the models are right and we do nothing we are screwed. If the models are right and we spend trillions giving it our best effort we are similarly screwed. Personally, Iím a big fan of modern design inherently safe modular nuclear power reactors. Make them here, fuel them, then sell them to China. That might actually be helpful.
Excargodog is online now  
Old 11-21-2022, 09:41 AM
  #56  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2022
Posts: 497
Default

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
I donít know about the accuracy (or lack of same) of the global warming models. Frankly, Iím not sure ANYONE knows about the accuracy of the global warming models, but BASED on those global warming models, there is literally NOTHING that the US and Europe can do to offset the expansion of CO2 release from Chinaís burgeoning coal-fired energy industry. You could reduce the US and European countries industrial CO2 output to zero within five years and that still would not offset the CO2 output increase they are already planning on building over that time.

Itís sort of a heads I win, tails you lose sort of phenomenon mathematically. If the models are right and we do nothing we are screwed. If the models are right and we spend trillions giving it our best effort we are similarly screwed. Personally, Iím a big fan of modern design inherently safe modular nuclear power reactors. Make them here, fuel them, then sell them to China. That might actually be helpful.
A lot of what you say has validity. I like your idea of modular nuclear units going forward.

My one point of contention would be the inherent moral conundrum that you are alluding too. Just because we ďthinkĒ it wonít make a difference, I feel it would. It paves the way through developing institutional knowledge for more efficient and robust networks in struggling nations. It starts the R&D process sooner, etc etc.

There are a lot of reasons to push for this, not just bury your head cause a bunch of selfish aholes on the other side of the planet donít quite get the potential severity of this yet.

Lead by example, pave the way for the technology, go tii on Walmart and consumeÖ.done
Hubcapped is offline  
Old 11-21-2022, 11:07 AM
  #57  
In a land of unicorns
 
Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO
Posts: 5,939
Default

Originally Posted by Wingedbeast View Post
You don't seem to know what socialism is. People like you love to point to the Nordic countries as socialist but they are capitalist.

Socialism ends up with low taxes because the wealth is taken by the "people" aka the government, there is nothing to tax. Nationalizing industry ect.

Anyway this entire thread has drifted. It was originally about brain dead children acting like lunatics because they believe the debunked and laughable predictions of "extinction" because of an unproven theory that humans are causing global warming. They are anti capitalists masquerading as "climate activist"

Shouldn't Miami be under water by now? That was there prediction made in the 90s. Miami under water by 2010.
Trust me, I know the Nordic model better than you do.

And yes, Socialism ends up with low taxes. So how is increasing taxes "socialist"?
dera is offline  
Old 11-21-2022, 11:38 AM
  #58  
Perennial Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Excargodog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 9,841
Default

Originally Posted by Hubcapped View Post
A lot of what you say has validity. I like your idea of modular nuclear units going forward.

My one point of contention would be the inherent moral conundrum that you are alluding too. Just because we ďthinkĒ it wonít make a difference, I feel it would. It paves the way through developing institutional knowledge for more efficient and robust networks in struggling nations. It starts the R&D process sooner, etc etc.

There are a lot of reasons to push for this, not just bury your head cause a bunch of selfish aholes on the other side of the planet donít quite get the potential severity of this yet.

Lead by example, pave the way for the technology, go tii on Walmart and consumeÖ.done
The global warming models, if true, then constitute the classic Ďtragedy of the commons.í Thatís far more than a moral conundrum. If indeed the models are accurate and the ďselfish aholes on the other side of the planetĒ donít get it yet, itís already too late. They have committed way too much to their present course to suddenly get religion now. Classically the response of any nation to an existential crisis was war.

China, having accumulated a significant excess of males due to their one-child policy and subsequent patriarchal focused selective abortions may be more inclined to do that than others. Pushing modular inherentl safe nuclear power technology and weaning them off coal seems to be a better prospect than going to war with them to decrease CO2 output. They simply lack the time and resources to go all renewable. Their GDP per capita was less than a fourth ours even before COVID lockdowns.

Last edited by Excargodog; 11-21-2022 at 11:52 AM.
Excargodog is online now  
Old 11-21-2022, 01:01 PM
  #59  
In a land of unicorns
 
Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO
Posts: 5,939
Default

Originally Posted by Wingedbeast View Post
I doubt you do.

Taking more of your private property to redistribute is socialism as in it starts with taking more of your money.
I do. I've been to the Nordic countries many times.

Are they using my tax money to take over factories and farms?
Thought so.
dera is offline  
Old 11-21-2022, 05:31 PM
  #60  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2022
Posts: 497
Default

Originally Posted by Wingedbeast View Post
Reality is not "propaganda".

Propaganda is claiming humans are causing so-called climate change.
It's also claiming that the sea levels are rising when they haven't risen an inch.
It's claiming entire cities would be under water 10 years ago.



I doubt you do.

Taking more of your private property to redistribute is socialism as in it starts with taking more of your money.
Let me throw 2 equally idiotic, obtuse, prpoganda filled statements lapped up by good little doggies that need a pack to be part of:

Climate change doesnít exist
Green new deal is going to save us
Hubcapped is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
stratoduck
Regional
6
06-26-2009 09:46 AM
ToiletDuck
Regional
2
01-30-2008 12:11 PM
COTriple7
Major
0
07-19-2007 11:20 PM
captain_drew
Cargo
1
04-01-2005 04:36 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread