Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Hangar Talk
quietest and loudest JET flight decks?? >

quietest and loudest JET flight decks??

Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

quietest and loudest JET flight decks??

Old 06-27-2021, 07:13 AM
  #31  
Gets Everyday Off
 
TransWorld's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: Relaxed
Posts: 4,034
Default

Originally Posted by flyinthrew View Post
DAL pilots never fly with hats off.
Not even when they rack out on long international flights?
TransWorld is offline  
Old 06-27-2021, 07:14 AM
  #32  
Gets Weekends Off
 
ugleeual's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: 767/757 CA
Posts: 1,804
Default

787
777
320
767
757
737

not sure how the A330/340/350 (DAL?)fit inÖ probably near 777/320 on quietest/loudest list above.
ugleeual is offline  
Old 06-27-2021, 11:30 AM
  #33  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captjns's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar
Posts: 5,439
Default

Not familiar with the B787, but loudest on the ground any pre-B787 with the Recirculating Fans ON. In flight??? Hands down the 727 doing .87999. If you ever get the clacker, just fly a bit faster so you no longer hear the clacker.
captjns is offline  
Old 06-28-2021, 07:53 PM
  #34  
Disinterested Third Party
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,778
Default

Originally Posted by Old Coastie View Post
C-130 A model with three bladed props and no synchrophasers. It's why I wear hearing aids today (that and guns and rock 'n roll).
I got out of a B-24 (PB4Y) into a C-130A, and thought the C-130A was the smoothest, quietest airplane I'd ever flown.

It's all relative.

The 4Y without extra hearing protection was beyond the threshold of pain. Loud enough that we did most cockpit communication with hand signals. Loud enough that I stood next to the departure end of the runway with a decibel meter, when two F-16's departed in afterburner, then compared to the 4Y...and the 4Y was louder. Everything is quiet by comparison, except the ringing in my ears.

Not a "jet," though. Then again, neither is the C-130.
JohnBurke is offline  
Old 07-29-2021, 08:10 AM
  #35  
Gets Weekends Off
 
atpwannabe's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Dispatcher
Posts: 2,206
Default

Originally Posted by captjns View Post
Not familiar with the B787, but loudest on the ground any pre-B787 with the Recirculating Fans ON. In flight??? Hands down the 727 doing .87999. If you ever get the clacker, just fly a bit faster so you no longer hear the clacker.

Definitely the 727 and 737/100/200...(cigar engines). Loudest fricking things I've ever heard.

atp
atpwannabe is offline  
Old 07-31-2021, 11:35 PM
  #36  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Airhoss's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Currently not bumped.(Scratch that, bumped again)
Posts: 5,189
Default

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
I got out of a B-24 (PB4Y) into a C-130A, and thought the C-130A was the smoothest, quietest airplane I'd ever flown.

It's all relative.

The 4Y without extra hearing protection was beyond the threshold of pain. Loud enough that we did most cockpit communication with hand signals. Loud enough that I stood next to the departure end of the runway with a decibel meter, when two F-16's departed in afterburner, then compared to the 4Y...and the 4Y was louder. Everything is quiet by comparison, except the ringing in my ears.

Not a "jet," though. Then again, neither is the C-130.
You must have been with H&P, I flew for Bighorn.

in any case Iíve never flown the 4Y but I can tell you that the B-25 is loud too.
Airhoss is offline  
Old 08-01-2021, 06:31 AM
  #37  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Airhoss's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Currently not bumped.(Scratch that, bumped again)
Posts: 5,189
Default

Originally Posted by Airhoss View Post
You must have been with H&P, I flew for Bighorn.

in any case Iíve never flown the 4Y but I can tell you that the B-25 is loud too.
As far as nets go I canít argue with the 737, the DC-8 is no slouch either.
Airhoss is offline  
Old 08-10-2021, 09:37 AM
  #38  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Default

Probably mentioned already, but the dash 8 Q400 with wiper down at high speed was quit noisy ...

Flocks is offline  
Old 09-09-2021, 10:34 AM
  #39  
Gets Weekends Off
 
HIFLYR's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: 777 Captain in Training
Posts: 1,302
Default

Originally Posted by RedeyeAV8r View Post
Try a 727-100 doing .87 Mach. Where were those noise cancelling headsts when I needed them?
yep the younger crowd missed this and you forgot the noise of the clacker going off! Cruise and descend on the clacker regardless of turbulence!
HIFLYR is offline  
Old 09-09-2021, 11:01 AM
  #40  
Line Holder
 
Broccoli Rob's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2021
Posts: 40
Default

Originally Posted by HIFLYR View Post
yep the younger crowd missed this and you forgot the noise of the clacker going off! Cruise and descend on the clacker regardless of turbulence!
If you're not clackin', you're slackin'.
Broccoli Rob is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread