Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Old 05-09-2019, 12:04 PM
  #12131  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,795
Default

Contrary to rumors, Delta does hire white pilots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnqZnw25E-E
ShyGuy is online now  
Old 05-09-2019, 01:08 PM
  #12132  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,909
Default

Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
Contrary to rumors, Delta does hire white pilots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnqZnw25E-E
If I recall the mother is on the hiring board.
Riverside is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 01:28 PM
  #12133  
Super Moderator
 
crewdawg's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,106
Default

Originally Posted by flensr View Post
Sorry to dispute your experience but that just about summarizes my Delta interview...
Originally Posted by 80ktsClamp View Post
The interview looks a lot at how you react to things. Get defensive and close up? You're not gonna do well.
^^^this right here! I get that it seems stupid that they'd even ask questions about high school GPAs/no failed UPT rides. But it's their game and their ball, it's all about your answers and how you explain yourself. I had terrible (sub 3.0) GPAs in high school/college and it was never even addressed...could have just been the interviewers I got that day. If you get defensive or dismissive about it, it won't end well. Explain to them that you were working two jobs to pay your way through college and use that time to talk about how it made you better. Heck, even saying you were young/foolish and had misplaced priorities, then showcasing how you turned that around...it will likely end up mo betta. Either way, my point was simply having a bad GPA isn't going to keep you from the job, I am a testament to that.

Be humble and answer every question by owning up to mistakes and explaining what you learned, will go a long way. I too was asked if I really only hooked one ride in UPT...I laughed and said I was a great negotiator in the debrief. I then explained my hook it tweets and how I fixed it.

Originally Posted by flensr View Post
Spirit and SWA interviews were polar opposites of Delta. Half an hour chatting about flying, then go over the logbook to find some more flying stories to chat about. When can you start? Totally different approach.
I actually couldn't agree more. My AAL interview was infinitely more fun/relaxed and less stressful than my DAL interview...two totally different styles of interview. If I had chosen which airline to go to based simply on the interview, I'd still be at AAL. It is what it is, but I can assure you that DALs interview structure is nowhere near a reflection of the culture on the line.
crewdawg is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 05:18 PM
  #12134  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Jan 2015
Posts: 571
Default

Originally Posted by hilltopflyer View Post
Nope just saying that having a vagina or different skin color is for sure an easier way to get to the legacies. So in turn being a white male civilian makes it a lot harder to get a job there.
After reading this thread, Iím totally woke!! I canít believe that the big D is so discriminatory against poor white dudes. Even though Iíve literally NEVER seen anything other than ancient white dudes on the flight deck of any flight Iíve ever jumpseated or deadheaded on. Maybe we should start a go fund me or something for all the poor white dudes that are being treated so harshly by society. 🙄🙄
Rahlifer is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 05:20 PM
  #12135  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,795
Default

Originally Posted by Rahlifer View Post
After reading this thread, Iím totally woke!! I canít believe that the big D is so discriminatory against poor white dudes. Even though Iíve literally NEVER seen anything other than ancient white dudes on the flight deck of any flight Iíve ever jumpseated or deadheaded on. Maybe we should start a go fund me or something for all the poor white dudes that are being treated so harshly by society. 🙄🙄
I see what you're trying to say, but those "ancient white dudes" (your words) were hired back in those times, 20-30 yrs ago. It looks like most people here are talking about hiring practices of the last couple years.
ShyGuy is online now  
Old 05-09-2019, 05:23 PM
  #12136  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2016
Posts: 6,320
Default

Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
I see what you're trying to say, but those "ancient white dudes" (your words) were hired back in those times, 20-30 yrs ago. It looks like most people here are talking about hiring practices of the last couple years.
And yet, we still have 94% of seats going to those disadvantaged white males 🤔

It got real quiet in here when I asked people for any real evidence of an anti-white-male bias in pilot hiring. Strange how firmly some people believe in things without evidence.
OOfff is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 05:29 PM
  #12137  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2018
Posts: 2,621
Default

Originally Posted by OOfff View Post
And yet, we still have 94% of seats going to those disadvantaged white males 🤔

It got real quiet in here when I asked people for any real evidence of an anti-white-male bias in pilot hiring. Strange how firmly some people believe in things without evidence.
These kind of people don't believe in data or facts. They only believe anecdotal stories that fit their view. You can't get through to them at all, so we might as well stop trying.
m3113n1a1 is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 05:39 PM
  #12138  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Sep 2018
Posts: 215
Default

Originally Posted by m3113n1a1 View Post
These kind of people don't believe in data or facts. They only believe anecdotal stories that fit their view. You can't get through to them at all, so we might as well stop trying.
lol, you provided no more "data and facts" then anybody else. Any data provided thus far has not been cited. On top of that, 94% if it is true is meaningless unless we put that up against the percentage of applicants. If the applicants were 97% white male, then guess what, they may have been discriminated against.

Use that 3.8 high school GPA that got you hired at Delta to figure out that data and statistics in a vacuum can be manipulated to support any side you want.
ICUROOK is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 06:05 PM
  #12139  
Da Hudge
 
80ktsClamp's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Poodle Whisperer
Posts: 17,473
Default

Originally Posted by ICUROOK View Post
lol, you provided no more "data and facts" then anybody else. Any data provided thus far has not been cited. On top of that, 94% if it is true is meaningless unless we put that up against the percentage of applicants. If the applicants were 97% white male, then guess what, they may have been discriminated against.

Use that 3.8 high school GPA that got you hired at Delta to figure out that data and statistics in a vacuum can be manipulated to support any side you want.
...and thus proving the fact that the millineals very much do not have the market in entitlement cornered.

How about those military statistics you were faced with? Always an excuse...
80ktsClamp is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 07:11 PM
  #12140  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2016
Posts: 6,320
Default

Originally Posted by ICUROOK View Post
lol, you provided no more "data and facts" then anybody else. Any data provided thus far has not been cited. On top of that, 94% if it is true is meaningless unless we put that up against the percentage of applicants. If the applicants were 97% white male, then guess what, they may have been discriminated against.

Use that 3.8 high school GPA that got you hired at Delta to figure out that data and statistics in a vacuum can be manipulated to support any side you want.
So, where are the data to support your complaints of anti-white-male bias?

If we assume that WAI has a handle on the number of female commercial pilots at a hair over 5%, and we know that women are likely more well-represented at the younger end of the spectrum, I donít see any room for anti-male bias in those numbers.


But if you have any corrected numbers with a source, feel free to post it.
OOfff is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Elvis90
Military
2
11-11-2010 10:25 AM
meloveboeing
Regional
5
10-02-2010 08:47 AM
kc135driver
United
119
08-24-2010 09:30 AM
exerauflyboy5
Flight Schools and Training
15
02-18-2009 09:29 PM
Busdriver
JetBlue
70
01-16-2006 11:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread