Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Old 06-16-2016, 05:35 AM
  #8381  
Gets Weekends Off
 
tomgoodman's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: 767A (Ret)
Posts: 6,013
Default

Originally Posted by GogglesPisano View Post
But still: More than a few of my passengers liked it.
That's a good point. Silly and hokey PA's by the Flight Attendants make me wince too, but I'm not the target audience, nor the arbiter of good taste for nervous and cranky passengers.
tomgoodman is offline  
Old 06-16-2016, 09:18 AM
  #8382  
Gets Weekends Off
 
CGfalconHerc's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: DAL A320 CA
Posts: 547
Default

Originally Posted by tomgoodman View Post
That's a good point. Silly and hokey PA's by the Flight Attendants make me wince too, but I'm not the target audience, nor the arbiter of good taste for nervous and cranky passengers.
Saw the new safety video during a deadhead yesterday..no slapstick humor, just FA's from different countries doing a tasteful, painless brief. Welcome change...

Jmho..
CGfalconHerc is offline  
Old 06-16-2016, 10:01 AM
  #8383  
Gets Weekends Off
 
RhinoPherret's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2012
Posts: 993
Default

Originally Posted by GogglesPisano View Post
I guess I'll cut back on the PA's regarding my days as Red Leader and my 15 Tie-Fighter kills.

That was then. This is now -- we are paid to transport our passengers safely, not regale our daring exploits during the rebellion.

But still: More than a few of my passengers liked it.
Alas, I guess long gone are the days of who could deliver the coolest (not dopiest) PAX briefing; trying to make something out of a zombie scripted monolog in order to get just a bit more attention paid to it, maybe.
RhinoPherret is offline  
Old 06-17-2016, 05:24 AM
  #8384  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2015
Posts: 852
Default

Soooooo to another old subject. Yesterday a United guy made his farewell address to the pax on guard. Of course as soon as the squelch clicked about 40 guys chimed in for several minutes of heckling nonsense. I was quite surprised at how fast it became anti-Delta.. Meanwhile the poor idiot over open water in his SE cessna loses an engine and can't get a word in (not really).

The tools are all the guys allowing the idiot next to them to play on the radio.. and me for laughing.
sweetholyjesus is offline  
Old 06-17-2016, 05:42 AM
  #8385  
Looking for a laugh
 
Justdoinmyjob's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,099
Default

Originally Posted by sweetholyjesus View Post

The tools are all the guys allowing the idiot next to them to play on the radio.. and me for laughing.
Well, not much a regional FO can say or do when it's the captain engaging in <donkey>hattery.
Justdoinmyjob is offline  
Old 06-17-2016, 07:11 AM
  #8386  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Turbosina's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,444
Default

I'd estimate that maybe 5% of pax pay attention to whatever we're blabbing from the front office.

I strongly prefer those CAs who limit their communication to a quick welcome aboard, and nothing else aside from updates on delays or other irregularities. Most pax ignore announcements, or can't understand them, or just want to be left to watch their iPad or sleep in peace.

And while we're on the topic, if you do choose to give a destination weather announcement, why in the name of all that's holy do some guys include the altimeter setting, visibility, the exact wind speed and direction, and exact altitude of the broken or overcast layer? Aside from pilots and sailors, nobody cares or knows what an altimeter setting is. Nor do they care whether it's a broken layer at 2,200 or an overcast layer at 3,500. What's next? A briefing on the NOTAMs?
Turbosina is offline  
Old 06-17-2016, 07:25 AM
  #8387  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2011
Position: retired 767(dl)
Posts: 5,462
Default

Originally Posted by Turbosina View Post
I'd estimate that maybe 5% of pax pay attention to whatever we're blabbing from the front office.

I strongly prefer those CAs who limit their communication to a quick welcome aboard, and nothing else aside from updates on delays or other irregularities. Most pax ignore announcements, or can't understand them, or just want to be left to watch their iPad or sleep in peace.

And while we're on the topic, if you do choose to give a destination weather announcement, why in the name of all that's holy do some guys include the altimeter setting, visibility, the exact wind speed and direction, and exact altitude of the broken or overcast layer? Aside from pilots and sailors, nobody cares or knows what an altimeter setting is. Nor do they care whether it's a broken layer at 2,200 or an overcast layer at 3,500. What's next? A briefing on the NOTAMs?
Welll, You might have to walk to the terminal with some of these LCC's and knowing which taxiways are closed would be helpful.
badflaps is offline  
Old 06-17-2016, 08:53 AM
  #8388  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Dolphinflyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2012
Posts: 652
Default

Originally Posted by Turbosina View Post
What's next? A briefing on the NOTAMs?

I think a good, informative and complete PA should include the field NOTAMs.

Some of our passengers might be alarmed at the sudden sight of tractor cutting the grass mere feet from the wingtips after landing and non-standard signage at some destinations.

Dolphinflyer is offline  
Old 06-18-2016, 02:54 AM
  #8389  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2012
Position: In the dog house...
Posts: 1,135
Default

Originally Posted by Dolphinflyer View Post
I think a good, informative and complete PA should include the field NOTAMs.

Some of our passengers might be alarmed at the sudden sight of tractor cutting the grass mere feet from the wingtips after landing and non-standard signage at some destinations.

Why, just the other day I heard a passenger exclaim how there were 213 lights missing from obstruction towers within a 10 mile radius of the airport. Funny story!
Crazy Canuck is offline  
Old 06-18-2016, 07:19 AM
  #8390  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Mar 2016
Position: 737
Posts: 47
Default

The captain who pulls out his iPad to show me his new truck equipped with a vanity license plate that says "FLYBOY." Then proceeds to set the best Econ fuel thrust setting in a CRJ over the Rockies on a day when moderate to severe mountain wave is reported, then goes to sleep. Fun day of correcting negative trend vectors, max powering out of decreasing airspeed, and listening to FLYBOY sawing logs in the left seat.
Karloffstall is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Elvis90
Military
2
11-11-2010 09:25 AM
meloveboeing
Regional
5
10-02-2010 07:47 AM
kc135driver
United
119
08-24-2010 08:30 AM
exerauflyboy5
Flight Schools and Training
15
02-18-2009 08:29 PM
Busdriver
JetBlue
70
01-16-2006 10:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread