Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > > >
Horizon Air Regional Airline
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #1  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Posts: 99
Default EUG commute

Hey all,

I've got an interview scheduled about a month out and I'm scrambling to get a good idea of what QOL would be like for someone commuting from EUG to any of the domiciles. I'd love to hear from anyone who's actively doing this or has in the past.

With a little seniority is commuting same day realistic at all? Or are most trips starting at 0530?
Starchkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:12 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
TeamSasquatch's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Posts: 207
Default

How hard is it to get Portland as a base? Seems like Seattle isn't hard to hold? Id think you could just drive to PDX and fly to SEA, or probably drive all the way the SEA if you had a line? How long do you think the drive to SEA would take with normal traffic? You might spend 2hrs sitting in PDX, waiting for flow into SEA...
TeamSasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:19 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2016
Posts: 163
Default

StarChecker:

Eugene is quite do-able, we have numerous pilots and flight attendants commuting out of there. The best option is to drive. Your best bet for a base would be Portland or Medford. You could easily get either as a new-hire.

I expect you'd have to do a few months of reserve, so plan on having a crash pad until you can hold a regular line (or long-call reserve). Long-call would be a great deal for a junior guy that commutes, as you get 12 hours to report for duty. Portland traffic is a pain in the backside, so early morning OR early afternoon shows would be preferable.
DashAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #4  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSasquatch View Post
How hard is it to get Portland as a base? Seems like Seattle isn't hard to hold? Id think you could just drive to PDX and fly to SEA, or probably drive all the way the SEA if you had a line? How long do you think the drive to SEA would take with normal traffic? You might spend 2hrs sitting in PDX, waiting for flow into SEA...
The drive to PDX is 2 hours without traffic and about 5 1/2 to SEA in ideal conditions.

I've heard that SEA is fairly easy to get. From what I could tell searching online it appears there is an early AM flight(pre 0600 departure time) to PDX and SEA out of EUG and another flight that leaves a bit later around 0730 or so for SEA. I was told you have to list on two flights.

I'm wondering if there are a reasonable number of trips that start late enough to make commuting from EUG somewhat comfortable. I would just move if I could but I've got roots set too deep in EUG with kids etc.
Starchkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:27 PM   #5  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashAviator View Post
StarChecker:

Eugene is quite do-able, we have numerous pilots and flight attendants commuting out of there. The best option is to drive. Your best bet for a base would be Portland or Medford. You could easily get either as a new-hire.

I expect you'd have to do a few months of reserve, so plan on having a crash pad until you can hold a regular line (or long-call reserve). Long-call would be a great deal for a junior guy that commutes, as you get 12 hours to report for duty. Portland traffic is a pain in the backside, so early morning OR early afternoon shows would be preferable.
Ok, that does make sense. I imagine there may even be some EUG overnights as a possibility now and then? Perhaps EUG wouldn't be too bad. Obviously living in base is preferred but you have to do what you have to do.

Thanks for the suggestion Dash
Starchkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2015
Position: CRJ
Posts: 298
Default

I have several friends that make the drive to PDX, it is much preferred over trying to make the short flight. several ppl i know spent one or two months in Medford before getting PDX. Long call would be ideal. Cant say how common a true 2 hr call out is but it would only be make-able during mid morning to mid afternoon, and then in the evening after say 630. I had a buddy who would drive to Albany and spend half a day there with buddies. Maybe find a friend or family member in Salem or Portland to hang with for a few days while on reserve. Or chance it from home.
Tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
TeamSasquatch's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Posts: 207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchkr View Post
The drive to PDX is 2 hours without traffic and about 5 1/2 to SEA in ideal conditions.

I've heard that SEA is fairly easy to get. From what I could tell searching online it appears there is an early AM flight(pre 0600 departure time) to PDX and SEA out of EUG and another flight that leaves a bit later around 0730 or so for SEA. I was told you have to list on two flights.

I'm wondering if there are a reasonable number of trips that start late enough to make commuting from EUG somewhat comfortable. I would just move if I could but I've got roots set too deep in EUG with kids etc.
Thanks for the info on the drive times. It would be good to know how long youd be on reserve too. Sounds like Horizon is a bit longer than others. Im betting youll need a crash pad and drive to keep your sanity while on reserve.
TeamSasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #8  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
I have several friends that make the drive to PDX, it is much preferred over trying to make the short flight. several ppl i know spent one or two months in Medford before getting PDX. Long call would be ideal. Cant say how common a true 2 hr call out is but it would only be make-able during mid morning to mid afternoon, and then in the evening after say 630. I had a buddy who would drive to Albany and spend half a day there with buddies. Maybe find a friend or family member in Salem or Portland to hang with for a few days while on reserve. Or chance it from home.
More good suggestions. I do have some family and friends up there. I'm already feeling more at ease about the idea.

If I remember correctly the Q is the only type in PDX but that's actually what I want to fly anyway. I've been flying corporate jets for a long time and I'm looking for a change and challenge. Well, the change was forced upon me with a layoff but change is good sometimes.
Starchkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:08 PM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2016
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchkr View Post
Ok, that does make sense. I imagine there may even be some EUG overnights as a possibility now and then? Perhaps EUG wouldn't be too bad. Obviously living in base is preferred but you have to do what you have to do.

Thanks for the suggestion Dash
There are lots of Eugene overnights. I checked the schedule for September, and 60 of the 273 trips have at least one Eugene layover.
DashAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #10  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashAviator View Post
There are lots of Eugene overnights. I checked the schedule for September, and 60 of the 273 trips have at least one Eugene layover.
That right there is gold. Thanks for looking that up, truly appreciated. An overnight now and then at home is worth a lot.
Starchkr is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airline choice and commute considerations scubadiver GoJet 6 08-27-2018 11:57 AM
Choosing and airline / commute considerations scubadiver Endeavor Air 15 08-24-2018 04:36 PM
jfk commute LCCescapee Major 17 11-10-2015 01:33 PM
Commute opinions NoDeskJob Major 12 12-03-2014 08:04 AM
DFW Commute jarretk Career Questions 7 04-08-2014 01:02 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:43 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright 2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1