Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Regional > Horizon Air
What's happening at Horizon and Jets? >

What's happening at Horizon and Jets?

Notices
Horizon Air Regional Airline

What's happening at Horizon and Jets?

Old 01-26-2017, 09:47 AM
  #1031  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: "Hey Dumb Dumb"
Posts: 108
Default Educate new pilots

Originally Posted by jumpman View Post
So LaMar gave the PDP presentation at my school in Bend, OR the other day. He showed off the shiny new jets and Horizon's proud history. At the same time he even subtly remarked that Horizon has the lowest pay in the industry and is desperate for pilots. They want to hold job interviews in a few months and if selected you will get $7500 as a training stipend, then a $10,000 bonus and a 2 year commitment once your ATP mins are met. I have to admit even I was a little excited and there were a lot of doe-eyed students in the room, something like 30-40 people signed up to be contacted about interviews. I'm glad I came here first though. Thanks for the heads up on the situation, it's like a tragic story that I can't put down. I'll be sure to let my classmates know to check this thread out before they make any decisions, maybe if we can keep QX from suckering a bunch of new pilots they will improve things, or just go under. Hope things get better for you guys.
Jumpman you are correct, an educated “new” pilot will make the right decision. This thread has become a teaching point in my class. If new pilots don’t go to Horizon they will either fold or change.
gazoo34 is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 10:50 AM
  #1032  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: RJ FO
Posts: 2,408
Default

Originally Posted by jumpman View Post
So LaMar gave the PDP presentation at my school in Bend, OR the other day. He showed off the shiny new jets and Horizon's proud history. At the same time he even subtly remarked that Horizon has the lowest pay in the industry and is desperate for pilots. They want to hold job interviews in a few months and if selected you will get $7500 as a training stipend, then a $10,000 bonus and a 2 year commitment once your ATP mins are met. I have to admit even I was a little excited and there were a lot of doe-eyed students in the room, something like 30-40 people signed up to be contacted about interviews. I'm glad I came here first though. Thanks for the heads up on the situation, it's like a tragic story that I can't put down. I'll be sure to let my classmates know to check this thread out before they make any decisions, maybe if we can keep QX from suckering a bunch of new pilots they will improve things, or just go under. Hope things get better for you guys.
I think this is Mesa's strategy as well. Go to small towns where hopefully everyone is ignorant to the state of the industry. Sign up some starry-eyed CFIs and get them locked into a contract before they know what hit them. Sad.
word302 is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 11:58 AM
  #1033  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: "Hey Dumb Dumb"
Posts: 108
Default

How many days off does Horizon guarantee? Does Horizon have EFBs and do the pilots have to pay for them? How many upgrade classes have been cancelled in the last year?
gazoo34 is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 12:06 PM
  #1034  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2014
Posts: 271
Default

Originally Posted by gazoo34 View Post
How many days off does Horizon guarantee? Does Horizon have EFBs and do the pilots have to pay for them? How many upgrade classes have been cancelled in the last year?
QOL doesn't sound good. Even if you go to the jet you will be on junior schedules then upgrade in the Q and fly short 6+ leg days and be junior again as a Captain. If you could upgrade in the jet that would be cool but with all the senior guys doesn't look good. Not to mention upgrading straight in to the Q - that sounds like a nightmare.
BeechPilot33 is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 03:38 PM
  #1035  
Gets Weekends Off
 
snackysmores's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: fatigued
Posts: 1,314
Default

Originally Posted by BeechPilot33 View Post
QOL doesn't sound good. Even if you go to the jet you will be on junior schedules then upgrade in the Q and fly short 6+ leg days and be junior again as a Captain. If you could upgrade in the jet that would be cool but with all the senior guys doesn't look good. Not to mention upgrading straight in to the Q - that sounds like a nightmare.
Even if you are junior on the jet your schedule will be infinitely better than the most senior Q400 line holder. It's the promise land. Until you upgrade on the Q and you're F'd.
snackysmores is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 03:40 PM
  #1036  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2012
Posts: 439
Default

Originally Posted by gazoo34 View Post
How many days off does Horizon guarantee? Does Horizon have EFBs and do the pilots have to pay for them? How many upgrade classes have been cancelled in the last year?
13 currently, 11 Line and 12 Reserve in the new contract
Yes, iPad Air 2, no
2 I think
Galaxy5 is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 06:11 PM
  #1037  
Don't get weekends off
 
42ER's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2015
Posts: 145
Default

Originally Posted by Galaxy5 View Post
13 currently, 11 Line and 12 Reserve in the new contract
Yes, iPad Air 2, no
2 I think
New contract?
42ER is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 06:15 PM
  #1038  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2007
Posts: 341
Default

Originally Posted by Galaxy5 View Post
13 currently, 11 Line and 12 Reserve in the new contract
Yes, iPad Air 2, no
2 I think
It's 13 in 35 day bid. Not sure what it is now. Starting with jets reserves get 12 a month. Line holders get 11per 30 day month and 12 per 31.
lowflying is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 07:18 PM
  #1039  
just a number
 
Joined APC: Jan 2015
Position: arm flapper
Posts: 71
Default

Originally Posted by jumpman View Post
So LaMar gave the PDP presentation at my school in Bend, OR the other day. He showed off the shiny new jets and Horizon's proud history. At the same time he even subtly remarked that Horizon has the lowest pay in the industry and is desperate for pilots. They want to hold job interviews in a few months and if selected you will get $7500 as a training stipend, then a $10,000 bonus and a 2 year commitment once your ATP mins are met. I have to admit even I was a little excited and there were a lot of doe-eyed students in the room, something like 30-40 people signed up to be contacted about interviews. I'm glad I came here first though. Thanks for the heads up on the situation, it's like a tragic story that I can't put down. I'll be sure to let my classmates know to check this thread out before they make any decisions, maybe if we can keep QX from suckering a bunch of new pilots they will improve things, or just go under. Hope things get better for you guys.
Hey Jumpman i sent you a PM.
caylejqx is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 10:56 PM
  #1040  
Line Holder
 
Ashes's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2015
Posts: 64
Default

Originally Posted by word302 View Post
I think this is Mesa's strategy as well. Go to small towns where hopefully everyone is ignorant to the state of the industry. Sign up some starry-eyed CFIs and get them locked into a contract before they know what hit them. Sad.
Admiral Ackbar said it best...

I've noticed that Horizon has stopped advertising here. When an airline starts pulling pages out of the Mesa playbook, watch out. One thing I rember from my time there pre-9/11 was a very casual relationship with the truth. They called the CP "lie more." Lying isn't something an organization does, it's who they are.

Hopefully the bottom feeders will either evolve or die off. Regional jobs will never be great, but they don't have to suck excessively. I know that the puppy mills don't spend a lot of time on the history of labor relations in the industry, but it seems like it should be fairly obvious that someone accepting substandard employment isn't doing himself or anyone else any favors.

Times have changed. It's a seller's market. Some companies seem to have recognized that and chosen to compete for new talent by making themselves objectively better places to work & start a career. A company that is back-dooring the union pilots already on the property with a BS bonus scam isn't really offering anything more than an opportunity to join the rest of the folks already getting dumped on.

Last edited by Ashes; 01-26-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Ashes is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Guard Dude
Delta
201720
04-06-2022 06:59 AM
Harry Tasker
Horizon Air
790
12-03-2015 09:02 AM
brewpilot
Horizon Air
262
06-26-2012 10:07 AM
tyrael37
Horizon Air
72
05-18-2008 07:58 PM
Flyin1500
Regional
14
05-24-2007 07:02 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread