Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2018, 02:32 PM   #1  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Posts: 14
Default Going back to helicopters

I have found that the airlines are not a fit for me and I am going to go back to flying helicopters. Has anyone considered the same? If you have any info on who is hiring (non-CFI work), please post the information in this forum.

Thanks.
grumpydwarf is offline  
Old 10-16-2018, 02:49 PM   #2  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jul 2018
Posts: 63
Default

Interesting to hear your going back. Mind sharing details to why? Im just getting ready to make the jump from helicopters.

Whod you work for while in the fixedwing world?

Whats your resume look like hours wise and what kind of work you looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpydwarf View Post
I have found that the airlines are not a fit for me and I am going to go back to flying helicopters. Has anyone considered the same? If you have any info on who is hiring (non-CFI work), please post the information in this forum.

Thanks.
Skyguy85 is offline  
Old 10-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #3  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jul 2012
Position: 767 FO
Posts: 36
Default

Buddy of mine flew helos in Marine Corps, then helo EMS after retirement. Recently went to SKW, didnt like it, now hes back flying EMS. What ever makes you happy.
Tandem46 is offline  
Old 10-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #4  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy85 View Post
Interesting to hear your going back. Mind sharing details to why? Im just getting ready to make the jump from helicopters.

Whod you work for while in the fixedwing world?

Whats your resume look like hours wise and what kind of work you looking for?
I'm with Envoy. The training is rough and doesn't prepare you as well for the line as it could if they would make a few changes. All my friends who went to skywest have said the training there is very good. Mostly for me, there is no job satisfaction and the schedule doesn't work as well as I thought it would, especially since I commute. If you are into the jet-setting lifestyle, go for it. It's mostly the older guys transitioning that have a hard time settling in.

I have about 1500 rotorwing hours which is enough for some contracting jobs, and I'm ok with that. Do you know of any companies looking for helo pilots, preferable west of the Mississippi.
grumpydwarf is offline  
Old 10-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #5  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jul 2018
Posts: 63
Default

How much rotor time? Seems like you could get on with a 135 tour company flying the grand canyon to build some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpydwarf View Post
I'm with Envoy. The training is rough and doesn't prepare you as well for the line as it could if they would make a few changes. All my friends who went to skywest have said the training there is very good. Mostly for me, there is no job satisfaction and the schedule doesn't work as well as I thought it would, especially since I commute. If you are into the jet-setting lifestyle, go for it. It's mostly the older guys transitioning that have a hard time settling in.

I have about 1500 rotorwing hours which is enough for some contracting jobs, and I'm ok with that. Do you know of any companies looking for helo pilots, preferable west of the Mississippi.
Skyguy85 is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 05:58 PM   #6  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Jan 2019
Position: 777
Posts: 1
Thumbs up Helo brother

Grumpy,
If you're not happy you're not happy. The life style is certainly difficult to adjust to, especially if you commute. Seniority and living at your domicile certainly helps. I commuted for 18 years before moving to my domicile. IMHO I would get a taste of seniority or perhaps switching to another employer before going back to helicopters. I will tell you that my first year a UAL working for $28 per hour as an engineer made me question what I was doing.



Since you asked... Look at USAJOBs, offshore to oil rigs (PHI etc.), state agencies such as Arizona Highway Patrol, Boarder Patrol, or power companies like Salt River Project. The air ambulance jobs are very rewarding but can be transient based on profitability (or an accident). You can also look into a Army contract instructing gig at Ft Rucker. There are really cool helicopters jobs out there but most of them only pay peanuts. If it were me I would lean towards a Federal/State job.



Good luck!
holeybuckets is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #7  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: May 2017
Position: New hire 135 airline pilot
Posts: 24
Default Me too!

Hey Grumpy!

Same for me- Regional airlines not a good fit, and I thought training was lacking (at a MO HQ'd regional). I'm a former Blackhawk guy at 1400TT and I've not found much available in RW, except for Robinsons which do not appeal to me in any way. I'm considering a pilot job at a 135 operation - sounds less stressful and more team-oriented from the outside.

What's the latest on your pilot career since your original post?
Privateer383 is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 09:04 AM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
hindsight2020's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2006
Posts: 392
Default

PHI just filed chapter 11. Feast or famine, this blasted industry, helos very much included.
hindsight2020 is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Taco280AI's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2017
Posts: 427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpydwarf View Post
I'm with Envoy. The training is rough and doesn't prepare you as well for the line as it could if they would make a few changes. All my friends who went to skywest have said the training there is very good. Mostly for me, there is no job satisfaction and the schedule doesn't work as well as I thought it would, especially since I commute. If you are into the jet-setting lifestyle, go for it. It's mostly the older guys transitioning that have a hard time settling in.

I have about 1500 rotorwing hours which is enough for some contracting jobs, and I'm ok with that. Do you know of any companies looking for helo pilots, preferable west of the Mississippi.
It's mainly self study, as far as my experience went. And the real learning started in IOE.
Taco280AI is offline  
Old 04-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #10  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jun 2015
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privateer383 View Post
Hey Grumpy!

Same for me- Regional airlines not a good fit, and I thought training was lacking (at a MO HQ'd regional). I'm a former Blackhawk guy at 1400TT and I've not found much available in RW, except for Robinsons which do not appeal to me in any way. I'm considering a pilot job at a 135 operation - sounds less stressful and more team-oriented from the outside.

What's the latest on your pilot career since your original post?
Take a look at these guys- Careers | PJ Helicopters

Not sure if you'd be willing to move to N. California, but they have a large turbine fleet including some UtilityHawks. I believe they have the exclusive contract to fly PG&E's UtilityHawks as well. You'd probably be a shoo-in.
geosync is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guard/Reserve guys coming back to Major jobs hjs1971 Major 57 12-08-2010 03:55 AM
Got out... looking to get back in CRM1337 Career Questions 2 10-26-2010 01:56 PM
JetBlue renegade FA wants his job back ToiletDuck Major 44 08-18-2010 04:07 PM
FDX Changing europe back end DH to operate max8222 Cargo 18 07-29-2010 09:28 AM
Getting back into flying - Comments welcome GimmeAir Flight Schools and Training 3 05-19-2009 03:31 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:53 AM.