Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2020, 05:16 AM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Xtreme87's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2014
Posts: 954
Default 30 day shut down of air travel must happen

Given the hysteria, Itís only going to get worse. This is honestly the only option for salvaging our industry. Hit the reset button. The virus peaks and starts to decline. They announce an aggressive deep cleaning campaign. Come back with a bang. They need to rip the bandaid off right now though. Otherwise just putting along for months with falling bookings and hemorrhaging money is just going to burn through cash even faster. This is a psychological virus more than anything.
Xtreme87 is offline  
Old 03-14-2020, 05:19 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
daOldMan's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2015
Posts: 569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme87 View Post
Given the hysteria, Itís only going to get worse. This is honestly the only option for salvaging our industry. Hit the reset button. The virus peaks and starts to decline. They announce an aggressive deep cleaning campaign. Come back with a bang. They need to rip the bandaid off right now though. Otherwise just putting along for months with falling bookings and hemorrhaging money is just going to burn through cash even faster. This is a psychological virus more than anything.
This is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. It would take 90 days just to get things spun back up again.
daOldMan is offline  
Old 03-14-2020, 05:28 AM   #3  
Line Holder
 
GhettoJet's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2019
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme87 View Post
Given the hysteria, Itís only going to get worse. This is honestly the only option for salvaging our industry. Hit the reset button. The virus peaks and starts to decline. They announce an aggressive deep cleaning campaign. Come back with a bang. They need to rip the bandaid off right now though. Otherwise just putting along for months with falling bookings and hemorrhaging money is just going to burn through cash even faster. This is a psychological virus more than anything.
You are correct. This is a pretty long article, but has a lot of in depth analysis.

Link to Article
GhettoJet is offline  
Old 03-14-2020, 06:10 AM   #4  
Line Holder
 
StandardBrief's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2018
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme87 View Post
Given the hysteria, Itís only going to get worse. This is honestly the only option for salvaging our industry. Hit the reset button. The virus peaks and starts to decline. They announce an aggressive deep cleaning campaign. Come back with a bang. They need to rip the bandaid off right now though. Otherwise just putting along for months with falling bookings and hemorrhaging money is just going to burn through cash even faster. This is a psychological virus more than anything.
Maybe you can help save your company cash and quit your job right now.
StandardBrief is offline  
Old 03-14-2020, 06:29 AM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
labbats's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: A320
Posts: 1,179
Default

If this was some flesh eating bacteria then sure I would agree with you. Itís the flu.
labbats is online now  
Old 03-14-2020, 06:48 AM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Grumpyaviator's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2012
Posts: 525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by labbats View Post
If this was some flesh eating bacteria then sure I would agree with you. Itís the flu.
...and the survival rate is almost 100%, except for the elderly and pre-existing conditions, and even then the mortality rate is very low.

If I knew how to paste a doc here I could share a very interesting spread sheet.
Grumpyaviator is offline  
Old 03-14-2020, 06:48 AM   #7  
Line Holder
 
ak68W's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Posts: 82
Default

Media needs to stop spreading panic over the common cold virus. The idiotic masses need to go back to work and school and quit buying ramen and toilet paper. Sorry people itís everywhere, you canít hide from it, and itís just not that bad for people without pre existing conditions. (Same as any other cold virus or flu). Media wants to ruin the economy since itís an election year and thatís the main driving factor.
ak68W is offline  
Old 03-14-2020, 06:52 AM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Name User's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,702
Default

If the Admin had restricted travel from Asia back in Jan with everyone coming in getting tested before being released through customs, you can bet the media would claim it was xenophobia from the current admin.

You really can't win with those pricks, which is why I no longer watch the news.
Name User is offline  
Old 03-14-2020, 06:53 AM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Grumpyaviator's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2012
Posts: 525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak68W View Post
Media needs to stop spreading panic over the common cold virus. The idiotic masses need to go back to work and school and quit buying ramen and toilet paper. Sorry people itís everywhere, you canít hide from it, and itís just not that bad for people without pre existing conditions. (Same as any other cold virus or flu). Media wants to ruin the economy since itís an election year and thatís the main driving factor.
Itís possible activists are sensationalizing this to create a recession to affect the election (see some comments by Bill Maher who supports this strategy), and the administration is going to the extreme as a response.

Better for Washington to go beyond whatís necessary than to be criticized for not doing enough.
Grumpyaviator is offline  
Old 03-14-2020, 06:56 AM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
OOfff's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyaviator View Post
Itís possible activists are sensationalizing this to create a recession to affect the election (see some comments by Bill Maher who supports this strategy), and the administration is going to the extreme as a response.

Better for Washington to go beyond whatís necessary than to be criticized for not doing enough.
yep. Italy shut down its entire economy to push trump toward a loss.
OOfff is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Domestic air travel 3 green Delta 119 03-18-2020 04:54 AM
FDX discount personal travel dckozak Cargo 26 01-04-2013 05:40 PM
CO Pass charges? SNA320 United 30 09-03-2011 10:23 AM
FedEx Domestic China service... FXMDog Cargo 13 03-20-2007 06:21 AM
Travel + Leisure names JetBlue World's Best Domestic Airline Gman JetBlue 14 03-04-2007 09:14 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:39 AM.