Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Major (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/major/)
-   -   Feds to ban emotional support animals (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/major/131781-feds-ban-emotional-support-animals.html)

FXLAX 12-06-2020 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickair7777 (Post 3167425)
In fairness, the part of the fed that allowed horses was not the FAA. ADA should never have been allowed to intrude on the FAA's turf. If OSHA jurisdiction ends at the jetway, why do random, ill-conceived ADA edicts apply?


Because government...duh.

trip 12-07-2020 07:18 AM

Counted eight dogs, (big ones, not lap yappers) on leashes the other day in SLC A term. One was a legit service member support dog, the rest just pets. One had ****ed on the floor and the good hubby was trying to clean it up.
Off Topic- New SLC terminal, not really impressed thus far.

Grumble 12-07-2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip (Post 3167792)
Counted eight dogs, (big ones, not lap yappers) on leashes the other day in SLC A term. One was a legit service member support dog, the rest just pets. One had ****ed on the floor and the good hubby was trying to clean it up.
Off Topic- New SLC terminal, not really impressed thus far.

This right here is why this crap needs to end. If you can't be without your pet, you're probably not stable enough to be in public without a helmet in the first place, and you're a vile human being for taking advantage of people that need genuine service animals.

Allegheny 12-07-2020 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know what all the fuss is about. I am now retired but I used to travel with my ESA, Emotional Support Animal, "Mongo." He had a way about him, just the way he looked settled people down. I did have to haul a lot of bananas, but no one ever gave me much trouble with him around. He did all my personal negotiation with stupid people.

firefighterplt 12-07-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allegheny (Post 3167877)
I don't know what all the fuss is about. I am now retired but I used to travel with my ESA, Emotional Support Animal, "Mongo." He had a way about him, just the way he looked settled people down. I did have to haul a lot of bananas, but no one ever gave me much trouble with him around. He did all my personal negotiation with stupid people.

RIP Harambe #DOFH

JamesNoBrakes 12-07-2020 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickair7777 (Post 3167425)
In fairness, the part of the fed that allowed horses was not the FAA. ADA should never have been allowed to intrude on the FAA's turf. If OSHA jurisdiction ends at the jetway, why do random, ill-conceived ADA edicts apply?

Things in the cabin that could not be secured were never approved. Part 382 (the old one) made allowance for this (that carriage could be refused in the sake of safety) and in those cases, the animal could be required to go in the cargo hold in a cargo carrier. Anything in the cabin that's not a person is cargo and must be secured by an approved means. The problem is the airlines refused to enforce this and I don't know of any cases where this was pursued, as no "covert" surveillance was ever undertaken. It was a bad system, with stuff getting past the gate agents and onto the aircraft that obviously had no place there, then they'd have to "remove" someone with a disability, which I guess would go over very bad, but if regulations were on their side they would have been fine...except for court costs and that's probably what they were really trying to avoid.

The rules were a mess though and much clearer now.

Zard 12-08-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highfarfast (Post 3167285)
I agree with this except the borderline cruel part. It IS absolutely cruel.

People, donít put your pets in cargo.

Additionally, taking pets to airport terminal is extremely rude. Itís one thing if itís really necessary because you need an SERVICE animal. Service animals are not pets. We arenít talking about that. But emotional support? Common. Not only are there people that donít like animals (and even fear them) but there are people with real allergen issues. Youíre requiring those people to tolerate your pet. And the pet itself? Where is it going to relieve itself? Even not considering that, you donít think itís stressed?

People, donít put your pets on airplanes.

Drive if you really must take your pets with you.

Yes. The rest of us are judging you.

PS: Weíve had pets all our lives. We love animals. Almost all of the ones weíve had have been rescue and they make up an important part of our family. They do not travel with us by air.


OK. Off soap box.


I'm still looking for that bridge or tunnel to Hawaii.

highfarfast 12-08-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zard (Post 3168215)
I'm still looking for that bridge or tunnel to Hawaii.

Why is it that you need to take your pet on vacation to Hawaii?

Zard 12-08-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highfarfast (Post 3168412)
Why is it that you need to take your pet on vacation to Hawaii?

I don't. However, I did have to move my pet to and from there when Uncle Sugar told me to report to my new gig.

Boxhound 12-09-2020 05:01 AM

.......
 
Whelp. What am I supposed to do now with my therapy rattlesnake? Every time I do something good for him or try to take care of him--he tries to bite me!


Kinda like some airline managements that I've worked for in the past.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:09 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands