Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Major
Garbage TA rates, what’s going on here? >

Garbage TA rates, what’s going on here?

Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

Garbage TA rates, what’s going on here?

Old 09-30-2022, 01:00 PM
  #21  
The NeverEnding Story
 
BoilerUP's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2005
Posts: 7,354
Default

Originally Posted by bay982 View Post
Just reviewed the RLA flowchart, again, and there’s nothing in there preventing the process from running exactly like I describe, other than past precedent of pilots allowing it to run this way by being endlessly patient. The NMB has no authority to ice us forever as you claim.
NMB has no obligation to release into self-help, either...especially if they don't feel the "reasonability" box has been checked.
BoilerUP is online now  
Old 09-30-2022, 01:11 PM
  #22  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 41
Default

Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
NMB has no obligation to release into self-help, either...especially if they don't feel the "reasonability" box has been checked.
This is factually incorrect and has been proven in court.
BcULstDaBlodyWr is offline  
Old 09-30-2022, 01:49 PM
  #23  
The NeverEnding Story
 
BoilerUP's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2005
Posts: 7,354
Default

Originally Posted by BcULstDaBlodyWr View Post
This is factually incorrect and has been proven in court.

In what case?
BoilerUP is online now  
Old 09-30-2022, 04:27 PM
  #24  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 36,035
Default

Originally Posted by BcULstDaBlodyWr View Post
This is factually incorrect and has been proven in court.

News to me. Not saying it ain't so, but if there's precedent the bar must be pretty high or more people would get released.

I don't think NMB has to release you if they think the company is bargaining in good faith. Guess you could litigate their interpretation of good faith.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 09-30-2022, 10:17 PM
  #25  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: 1900D CA
Posts: 2,891
Default

Leaving the negotiations issues aside for a moment, I think there is an interesting thing going on here I didn't see coming.

The supply and damand for Pilots between the regionals and majors is an odd thing. The regionals have mostly all now secured massively better contracts. Hitting $200/ hour is a huge accomplishment for them. But at the big airlines there's no shortage of applicants and thus no pressure on management to up the pay. At least not much or not yet.

Frontier has increased first year pay twice and started paying for hotels during new hire training. That has seemed to help them fill classes, which they are. Now that they are hitting their hiring targets, the pressure is off of management... for now.

It's an odd situation to see the regionls make significant progress in closing the pay gap, and maybe a much more difficult road ahead for the big airlines?

Taking it another step down the road, airlines like Allegiant, Frontier, Spirit, Avelo and Breeze will all see continued attrition to the big 3. That attrition will be the only real reason for those management teams to roll over and offer up pay raises. Could we see the LCCs catch up to the big 3? The big 3 won't have the attrition problem every other airline will have. Where's the motivation for United and Delta to give a big pay raise? Frontier on the other hand is trying to triple in size and is going to need a lot of pilots to do it.

Interested to see what happens, but the dynamics of the industry have changed a lot since the last round.
Aero1900 is online now  
Old 09-30-2022, 10:32 PM
  #26  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,337
Default No pilot shortage at top tier airlines

Reality is that most pilot groups at top tier airlines have not seen an actual increase in negotiation leverage. There is nowhere for their pilots to go other than other top tier airlines that happen to have a better domicile for the individual pilot. The RLA is strangling any attempts at self help. Management has every incentive to drag out negotiations and none to sign a deal. This is a crappy state of affairs with the only way out being to play the RLA game smarter than management with the goal of being ultimately released for self help (strike). Hopefully, at least one group succeeds.
tnkrdrvr is offline  
Old 10-02-2022, 12:51 PM
  #27  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Ed Force One's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2016
Position: A320 CA
Posts: 641
Default

What does the R in RLA stand for again?

ALPA should be devoting their resources to crafting a new set of rules to bargain under. It doesn't have to be Earth shattering (because it won't be) but it should at least bring our own profession's interests, business models, and general considerations that fit with modern times into consideration.
Ed Force One is offline  
Old 10-02-2022, 01:16 PM
  #28  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: 1900D CA
Posts: 2,891
Default

Originally Posted by Ed Force One View Post
What does the R in RLA stand for again?

ALPA should be devoting their resources to crafting a new set of rules to bargain under. It doesn't have to be Earth shattering (because it won't be) but it should at least bring our own profession's interests, business models, and general considerations that fit with modern times into consideration.
Definitely true. When the RLA was implemented, rail was absolutely critical to the economy. The Gov't Definitely didn't want to risk strikes jacking up commerce

In fact, just last month the Biden administration got involved to prevent a large rail strike. It's too important to the economy
Aero1900 is online now  
Old 10-03-2022, 08:11 AM
  #29  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2018
Posts: 326
Default

Originally Posted by Aero1900 View Post
Definitely true. When the RLA was implemented, rail was absolutely critical to the economy. The Gov't Definitely didn't want to risk strikes jacking up commerce

In fact, just last month the Biden administration got involved to prevent a large rail strike. It's too important to the economy
they did not prevent the strike
Jdub2 is offline  
Old 10-03-2022, 09:10 AM
  #30  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: 1900D CA
Posts: 2,891
Default

Originally Posted by Jdub2 View Post
they did not prevent the strike
Ok. Whatever.

The administration got deeply involved to try and prevent the strike. The point being that the govt doesn't want strikes because it's bad for the economy

https://apnews.com/article/biden-economy-strikes-congress-94089be6a4f469444da99fec9dde1b3e
Aero1900 is online now  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Albief15
FedEx
161
10-02-2015 04:11 PM
Donkey
Hangar Talk
1
03-29-2009 12:42 PM
jungle
Money Talk
7
01-25-2009 07:02 AM
SWAjet
Money Talk
9
08-04-2008 04:24 PM
SWAjet
Money Talk
0
03-30-2005 11:12 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread