Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Major (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/major/)
-   -   How would you handle this? (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/major/17343-how-would-you-handle.html)

SteamJet 09-27-2007 12:22 PM

How would you handle this?
 
I have a firm class date for airline "A" in less than a month. It's a decent airline with a decent future and I wouldn't mind working there. The day after I accepted "A"s offer, I got a contingent offer (it's a long story) from airline "B" that will become a firm offer (or go away) 2 weeks before the "A" class starts. The "B" class starts 2 days before the "A" class and I would very much prefer to work at "B". Right now both "A" and "B" believe I'm committed to their airline.

As an added bonus, I have an interview with airline "C" one week before the other two airline's classes start. Conventional wisdom says airline "C" is a superior place to work than either "A" or "B". The problem with "C" is if they hired me, I would already be IN "A" or "B"s class when I found out.

It's possible I'm going to have to stiff "A" 2 weeks before their class starts and/or "A" or "B" after I've already showed up and started their indoc training. If either of these scenarios plays out, what is the best way to handle the situation?

I'm already very uncomfortable leading these companies on, especially "B" since it is a small company and I have an internal rec from one of my friends there. It also distresses me greatly that I would be causing them a lot of trouble/expense, especially if I actually started class and then quit after a few days. On the other hand, I've come to learn this is a cut-throat business and things like this do happen.

If anyone has experience with this type of situation, I would appreciate your insight and input on how to best handle the situation. Thanks.

DustoffVT 09-27-2007 12:28 PM

Be professional, but do what's best for your family. I've been in your situation, I think most pilots get there at some point. I emailed a chief pilot I had given a firm yes to and told him no, and he thanked me for at least contacting them - they had gotten many no-shows. An exhange like that can save a bridge you might need to cross later.

Slice 09-27-2007 12:31 PM

I think I'd need actual names of companies to make a firm decision. If C is UPS, I'd leave the other two for it. I wouldn't feel bad about leaving during ground school as far as the airline goes, but you don't want to make your friend look bad after giving you a rec. So, maybe turn down B and leave A if your get a C class date. OR, see if you can get a later class at B and bail on A if C doesn't offer you a J. Get it?:D

rytheflyguy 09-27-2007 12:36 PM

You have to do what is best for you, just as the company will do what is best for the company if furloughs become necessary. Just notify A or B as soon as reasonably possible and be professional in your communications. Good luck!!

Freightpuppy 09-27-2007 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rytheflyguy (Post 238236)
You have to do what is best for you, just as the company will do what is best for the company if furloughs become necessary. Just notify A or B as soon as reasonably possible and be professional in your communications. Good luck!!

Agreed.....

captjns 09-27-2007 01:11 PM

Follow your heart and intuition as to which carrier will provide the best longevity with the reduced chance for furlough, pay, benefits and QOL for you and your family.

Good luck... you'll make the wise choice when you have to.

ryane946 09-27-2007 01:15 PM

Information needed to answer the question:
A = ?
B = ?
C = ?
Home is in = ?

If you don't want to list B (since it is a small company), you should still probably tell us who A and C are.

hvydriver 09-27-2007 01:33 PM

You've gotta do what's best for you SJ. Just be professional in your communications.

freezingflyboy 09-27-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryane946 (Post 238265)
Information needed to answer the question:
A = ?
B = ?
C = ?
Home is in = ?

If you don't want to list B (since it is a small company), you should still probably tell us who A and C are.

SteamJet told you all you need to know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteamJet (Post 238226)
I have a firm class date for airline "A" in less than a month. It's a decent airline with a decent future and I wouldn't mind working there. The day after I accepted "A"s offer, I got a contingent offer (it's a long story) from airline "B" that will become a firm offer (or go away) 2 weeks before the "A" class starts. The "B" class starts 2 days before the "A" class and I would very much prefer to work at "B". Right now both "A" and "B" believe I'm committed to their airline.

As an added bonus, I have an interview with airline "C" one week before the other two airline's classes start. Conventional wisdom says airline "C" is a superior place to work than either "A" or "B". The problem with "C" is if they hired me, I would already be IN "A" or "B"s class when I found out.

It's possible I'm going to have to stiff "A" 2 weeks before their class starts and/or "A" or "B" after I've already showed up and started their indoc training. If either of these scenarios plays out, what is the best way to handle the situation?

I'm already very uncomfortable leading these companies on, especially "B" since it is a small company and I have an internal rec from one of my friends there. It also distresses me greatly that I would be causing them a lot of trouble/expense, especially if I actually started class and then quit after a few days. On the other hand, I've come to learn this is a cut-throat business and things like this do happen.

If anyone has experience with this type of situation, I would appreciate your insight and input on how to best handle the situation. Thanks.

"A" is not SteamJet's first choice but its not a bad choice and is "the bird in hand".

"B" is where SteamJet really wants to work, but it's a small company and it's a conditional offer.

"C" is where everyone thinks SteamJet should go regardless of anything else in his/her life (like most would say about FedEx, UPS and SWA).

The company names are irrelevant.

swaayze 09-28-2007 07:13 AM

This one's pretty easy actually. Since the B class starts prior to the A class and you will supposedly know 2 weeks prior if B will confirm you, there is no problem here. Stay committed to A until you hear from B and give them as much notice as you can with apologies if you're going to B instead.

As for C, go interview and worry about that later if they offer you the job and you still think C might be a better opportunity at that point.

It's a bit of a tough spot for people with integrity, but this business just works this way. Do not feel bad about leaving A or B for C if you choose, just don't expect them to ever give you another shot if things don't work out at C.

Good luck.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:47 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright 2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands


Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1