Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #1  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Oct 2006
Posts: 62
Default How would you handle this?

I have a firm class date for airline "A" in less than a month. It's a decent airline with a decent future and I wouldn't mind working there. The day after I accepted "A"s offer, I got a contingent offer (it's a long story) from airline "B" that will become a firm offer (or go away) 2 weeks before the "A" class starts. The "B" class starts 2 days before the "A" class and I would very much prefer to work at "B". Right now both "A" and "B" believe I'm committed to their airline.

As an added bonus, I have an interview with airline "C" one week before the other two airline's classes start. Conventional wisdom says airline "C" is a superior place to work than either "A" or "B". The problem with "C" is if they hired me, I would already be IN "A" or "B"s class when I found out.

It's possible I'm going to have to stiff "A" 2 weeks before their class starts and/or "A" or "B" after I've already showed up and started their indoc training. If either of these scenarios plays out, what is the best way to handle the situation?

I'm already very uncomfortable leading these companies on, especially "B" since it is a small company and I have an internal rec from one of my friends there. It also distresses me greatly that I would be causing them a lot of trouble/expense, especially if I actually started class and then quit after a few days. On the other hand, I've come to learn this is a cut-throat business and things like this do happen.

If anyone has experience with this type of situation, I would appreciate your insight and input on how to best handle the situation. Thanks.
SteamJet is offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #2  
Sequester bait
 
DustoffVT's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: UH-60, AS-350, C-550
Posts: 117
Default

Be professional, but do what's best for your family. I've been in your situation, I think most pilots get there at some point. I emailed a chief pilot I had given a firm yes to and told him no, and he thanked me for at least contacting them - they had gotten many no-shows. An exhange like that can save a bridge you might need to cross later.
DustoffVT is offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 12:31 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Slice's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Spartan
Posts: 3,227
Default

I think I'd need actual names of companies to make a firm decision. If C is UPS, I'd leave the other two for it. I wouldn't feel bad about leaving during ground school as far as the airline goes, but you don't want to make your friend look bad after giving you a rec. So, maybe turn down B and leave A if your get a C class date. OR, see if you can get a later class at B and bail on A if C doesn't offer you a J. Get it?
Slice is offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #4  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Posts: 69
Default

You have to do what is best for you, just as the company will do what is best for the company if furloughs become necessary. Just notify A or B as soon as reasonably possible and be professional in your communications. Good luck!!
rytheflyguy is offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #5  
Freightmama!
 
Freightpuppy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 757/767 FO
Posts: 2,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rytheflyguy View Post
You have to do what is best for you, just as the company will do what is best for the company if furloughs become necessary. Just notify A or B as soon as reasonably possible and be professional in your communications. Good luck!!
Agreed.....
Freightpuppy is offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captjns's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar
Posts: 5,065
Default

Follow your heart and intuition as to which carrier will provide the best longevity with the reduced chance for furlough, pay, benefits and QOL for you and your family.

Good luck... you'll make the wise choice when you have to.
captjns is offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
ryane946's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: FO, looking left
Posts: 1,054
Default

Information needed to answer the question:
A = ?
B = ?
C = ?
Home is in = ?

If you don't want to list B (since it is a small company), you should still probably tell us who A and C are.
ryane946 is offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 01:33 PM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
hvydriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Former DC8 73 Capt, then a Golf Pro, then missed flying and went back to it. Yes, I'm an idiot. ;)
Posts: 417
Default

You've gotta do what's best for you SJ. Just be professional in your communications.
hvydriver is offline  
Old 09-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.
Posts: 3,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane946 View Post
Information needed to answer the question:
A = ?
B = ?
C = ?
Home is in = ?

If you don't want to list B (since it is a small company), you should still probably tell us who A and C are.
SteamJet told you all you need to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamJet View Post
I have a firm class date for airline "A" in less than a month. It's a decent airline with a decent future and I wouldn't mind working there. The day after I accepted "A"s offer, I got a contingent offer (it's a long story) from airline "B" that will become a firm offer (or go away) 2 weeks before the "A" class starts. The "B" class starts 2 days before the "A" class and I would very much prefer to work at "B". Right now both "A" and "B" believe I'm committed to their airline.

As an added bonus, I have an interview with airline "C" one week before the other two airline's classes start. Conventional wisdom says airline "C" is a superior place to work than either "A" or "B". The problem with "C" is if they hired me, I would already be IN "A" or "B"s class when I found out.

It's possible I'm going to have to stiff "A" 2 weeks before their class starts and/or "A" or "B" after I've already showed up and started their indoc training. If either of these scenarios plays out, what is the best way to handle the situation?

I'm already very uncomfortable leading these companies on, especially "B" since it is a small company and I have an internal rec from one of my friends there. It also distresses me greatly that I would be causing them a lot of trouble/expense, especially if I actually started class and then quit after a few days. On the other hand, I've come to learn this is a cut-throat business and things like this do happen.

If anyone has experience with this type of situation, I would appreciate your insight and input on how to best handle the situation. Thanks.
"A" is not SteamJet's first choice but its not a bad choice and is "the bird in hand".

"B" is where SteamJet really wants to work, but it's a small company and it's a conditional offer.

"C" is where everyone thinks SteamJet should go regardless of anything else in his/her life (like most would say about FedEx, UPS and SWA).

The company names are irrelevant.
freezingflyboy is offline  
Old 09-28-2007, 07:13 AM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: DFW A320 FO
Posts: 585
Default

This one's pretty easy actually. Since the B class starts prior to the A class and you will supposedly know 2 weeks prior if B will confirm you, there is no problem here. Stay committed to A until you hear from B and give them as much notice as you can with apologies if you're going to B instead.

As for C, go interview and worry about that later if they offer you the job and you still think C might be a better opportunity at that point.

It's a bit of a tough spot for people with integrity, but this business just works this way. Do not feel bad about leaving A or B for C if you choose, just don't expect them to ever give you another shot if things don't work out at C.

Good luck.
swaayze is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where is the MOAB? purplepilot Cargo 106 09-03-2007 08:20 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:04 AM.