Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2006, 07:10 PM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
calcapt's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737 Captain
Posts: 771
Default Please share your advice and wisdom

When I was a young buck just starting out, I remember trying to categorize what was important and what was not when performing this job, always looking for advice from my captains. I was offered all kinds of advice over the years and thought it would be fun to start a thread to share bits of wisdom we have learned over the years with our younger peers. A few of my favorites:


*Don't get too excited over yellow caution lights. If it were that important the light would be red.

*Never ever charge your bar bill to your room on a layover.

* There is no such thing as a discreet romantic rendezvous with a flight
attendant - They will tell someone!

* If you need to call in sick for a trip, keep it short and sweet. This is John Doe, employee 12345, please show me sick for my trip. Say NO more.
Any additional information could come back to haunt you, particularly if it is not the truth.

* If ATC makes an assignment and somehow you don't exactly comply for whatever reason, NEVER admit you screwed up. For example, I heard ATC assign a NWA flight a ten degree turn to the right for spacing. After wrongly turning left 10 degrees, ATC calls and asks "Northwest, which way did you turn?" The crew wisely asked "which way did you tell us to turn? A masterful answer.


All right guys and gals, give us your advice....................
calcapt is offline  
Old 04-22-2006, 07:27 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Geronimo4497's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Formerly Avantair
Posts: 175
Default

-Fly the airplane, don't let it take you for a ride.

-Have some fun, gaddangit, 'cause life is WAY too short
Geronimo4497 is online now  
Old 04-22-2006, 07:44 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Skygirl's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcapt
When I was a young buck just starting out, I remember trying to categorize what was important and what was not when performing this job, always looking for advice from my captains. I was offered all kinds of advice over the years and thought it would be fun to start a thread to share bits of wisdom we have learned over the years with our younger peers. A few of my favorites:


*Don't get too excited over yellow caution lights. If it were that important the light would be red.

*Never ever charge your bar bill to your room on a layover.

* There is no such thing as a discreet romantic rendezvous with a flight
attendant - They will tell someone!

* If you need to call in sick for a trip, keep it short and sweet. This is John Doe, employee 12345, please show me sick for my trip. Say NO more.
Any additional information could come back to haunt you, particularly if it is not the truth.

* If ATC makes an assignment and somehow you don't exactly comply for whatever reason, NEVER admit you screwed up. For example, I heard ATC assign a NWA flight a ten degree turn to the right for spacing. After wrongly turning left 10 degrees, ATC calls and asks "Northwest, which way did you turn?" The crew wisely asked "which way did you tell us to turn? A masterful answer.


All right guys and gals, give us your advice....................
Definitely have to agree with not charging your bar bill to your room.If they specifically itemize everything on your bill, you might want to leave the "adult" film that you watched off the old expense account too...

I wouldn't know anything about flight attendant rendezvous, but it sounds like Calcapt has some experience with that one... I guess it's true what they say about pilots and flight attendants..LOL
Skygirl is offline  
Old 04-22-2006, 08:15 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
calcapt's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737 Captain
Posts: 771
Default Not me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skygirl
I wouldn't know anything about flight attendant rendezvous, but it sounds like Calcapt has some experience with that one... I guess it's true what they say about pilots and flight attendants..LOL

I wouldn't know anything about "that side" of the business. Remember the "don't admit to anything" advice I published in the initial thread???
I hear those travel agents get a little crazy on business meetings!!!
Just a rumor?

Last edited by calcapt; 04-22-2006 at 08:18 PM.
calcapt is offline  
Old 04-22-2006, 08:19 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Skygirl's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcapt
I wouldn't know anything about "that side" of the business. Remember the "don't admit to anything" advice I published in the initial thread???
I hear those travel agents get a little crazy on business meetings!!!
Just a rumor?
Well they don't call them FAM (short for familiarization) trips for nothing!..
Skygirl is offline  
Old 04-22-2006, 08:24 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
calcapt's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737 Captain
Posts: 771
Default Just my luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skygirl
Well they don't call them FAM (short for familiarization) trips for nothing!..

Why can't those FAM trips ever be held at the hotels I layover in. When my ship does come in, I'm never at the pier if you know what I mean.
calcapt is offline  
Old 04-22-2006, 08:32 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Skygirl's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcapt
Why can't those FAM trips ever be held at the hotels I layover in. When my ship does come in, I'm never at the pier if you know what I mean.
Oh, we sometimes stay at crew hotels. I've seen it get pretty wild down in the hotel bar.

Travel agents are known to party on FAM trips, especially when the tour operator/vendor is picking up the tab! I saw one gal, who was pretty smashed, go up to the CEO of my company to introduce herself and she promptly puked on his shoe. I think she needed a liver transplant after that FAM.
Skygirl is offline  
Old 04-22-2006, 08:56 PM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
calcapt's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737 Captain
Posts: 771
Default Wild women

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skygirl
Oh, we sometimes stay at crew hotels. I've seen it get pretty wild down in the hotel bar.

Travel agents are known to party on FAM trips, especially when the tour operator/vendor is picking up the tab! I saw one gal, who was pretty smashed, go up to the CEO of my company to introduce herself and she promptly puked on his shoe. I think she needed a liver transplant after that FAM.

A liver transplant is a small price to pay for having that much fun. If I were your CEO and this girl was attractive, I'm man enough to give her another chance.
calcapt is offline  
Old 04-22-2006, 09:00 PM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
flaps 9's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2005
Position: 737 F/O
Posts: 500
Default

How about the "killer threes"

Altitude above you

Runway behind you

Fuel not added before departure
flaps 9 is offline  
Old 04-22-2006, 09:02 PM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
flaps 9's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2005
Position: 737 F/O
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcapt
A liver transplant is a small price to pay for having that much fun. If I were your CEO and this girl was attractive, I'm man enough to give her another chance.

The drunker they are, the better looking I am.
flaps 9 is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Get rich slowly ... SWAjet Money Talk 12 12-10-2006 02:24 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:03 PM.