Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Major
Spirit and investors buy Air Jamaica >

Spirit and investors buy Air Jamaica

Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

Spirit and investors buy Air Jamaica

Old 07-06-2009, 12:37 PM
  #11  
First Rule of Fight Club
 
BoredwLife's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: My seat smells like cat pee
Posts: 1,534
Default

The Jamacian cabinent can still shoot this down. The employess are in a huge uproar and are claiming major job loses with future trimming and restructuring.
BoredwLife is offline  
Old 07-06-2009, 01:35 PM
  #12  
Gets Weekends Off
 
DAL4EVER's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: 88B - Loud Pipes Save Lives
Posts: 1,592
Default

Will Spirit drop the champagne flights and replace them instead with 40s of Old English? "Rollin', rollin', rollin'."
DAL4EVER is offline  
Old 07-06-2009, 02:13 PM
  #13  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captscott26's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: A320 CA
Posts: 944
Default

If the Jam govt doesnt protect the employees of Air Jamaica in this deal they are totally screwed. Indigo does what makes money......and if you look at the numbers it is obvious that Spirit makes money, and Air Jamaica doesn't. Not sure if this is accurate but I read that AJ has a CASM more than double what NK's is. What would you do if you were on the Indigo BOD?
captscott26 is offline  
Old 07-07-2009, 06:20 PM
  #14  
Line Holder
 
PAN PAN PAN's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2009
Position: To close for guns switching to bazooka
Posts: 43
Default

Originally Posted by BoredwLife View Post
The Jamacian cabinent can still shoot this down. The employess are in a huge uproar and are claiming major job loses with future trimming and restructuring.

Be afraid, be very afraid...I know I would be here comes the ULCC business model
PAN PAN PAN is offline  
Old 07-09-2009, 06:09 AM
  #15  
Gets Weekends Off
 
WorldTraveler's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2008
Posts: 130
Default

This is just one more example of how airline management has figured out a way around cross border ownership restrictions.

Like it or nor, the Jamaican government will have to do some kind of deal. Spirit will likely have to offer some sort of labor protections. In lieu of this deal, the future for Air Jamaica, looks a lot like Alitalia.
WorldTraveler is offline  
Old 07-09-2009, 06:37 AM
  #16  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: 320*****
Posts: 487
Default

Originally Posted by RAHPilot5 View Post
Next, RAH buys Spirit
next RAH goes CH11 within 3-5 years
Normann is offline  
Old 07-09-2009, 09:53 AM
  #17  
Gets Weekends Off
 
RemoveB4flght's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2008
Posts: 500
Default

Originally Posted by WorldTraveler View Post
This is just one more example of how airline management has figured out a way around cross border ownership restrictions.

Like it or nor, the Jamaican government will have to do some kind of deal. Spirit will likely have to offer some sort of labor protections. In lieu of this deal, the future for Air Jamaica, looks a lot like Alitalia.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.. Obviously there is a well founded concern that new ownership will bring about sweeping changes to the company structure, including job cuts. If I were a rank and file employee of Air Jam I would be nervous too.

I don't wish job loss on anyone, but you have to look at the numbers. Air Jamaica was privately owned for nine years before it was re-nationalized back in 2005.

At that time, it posted an operating loss of 90 million for the year, and since then that operating loss has grown to 150 million a year, which is subsidized by the government. That doesn't include an additional 600 million in outstanding loans.

On the other hand, 2009 has shown stellar performance this year in terms of load factor and cancelled flights.

The airline is begging to be streamlined.. and while national identity and airline job loss would appear to be the concerns in the headlines, the country is so dependant on tourism that I would imagine the real concern would be instead to increase frequencies and explore new markets.

Ending the government subsisdized losses and increasing the amount of tourists setting foot on their soil will far outweigh the negative impact of job losses due to streamlining the business model... IMHO
RemoveB4flght is offline  
Old 07-09-2009, 10:21 AM
  #18  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: A320 CA
Posts: 501
Default

Originally Posted by RemoveB4flght View Post
You can't have your cake and eat it too.. Obviously there is a well founded concern that new ownership will bring about sweeping changes to the company structure, including job cuts. If I were a rank and file employee of Air Jam I would be nervous too.

I don't wish job loss on anyone, but you have to look at the numbers. Air Jamaica was privately owned for nine years before it was re-nationalized back in 2005.

At that time, it posted an operating loss of 90 million for the year, and since then that operating loss has grown to 150 million a year, which is subsidized by the government. That doesn't include an additional 600 million in outstanding loans.

On the other hand, 2009 has shown stellar performance this year in terms of load factor and cancelled flights.

The airline is begging to be streamlined.. and while national identity and airline job loss would appear to be the concerns in the headlines, the country is so dependant on tourism that I would imagine the real concern would be instead to increase frequencies and explore new markets.

Ending the government subsisdized losses and increasing the amount of tourists setting foot on their soil will far outweigh the negative impact of job losses due to streamlining the business model... IMHO
Agreed completely...
A320Flyer is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread