Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Major
SWA requirement for 737 type rating. >

SWA requirement for 737 type rating.

Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

SWA requirement for 737 type rating.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:10 AM
  #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
surreal1221's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2006
Posts: 893
Default SWA requirement for 737 type rating.

Okay quick question.

On the SWA page it states that they are hiring pilots w/o a 73 type rating, then states that the airline requires you to get the type rating within 6 months.

Is this standard practice for many LCC airlines?

I am under the impression that, if hired by a regional, that they will pay for your training and type rating in an RJ, etc. Now say I want to move to SWA and try to get picked up, but I don't have a 73 type rating. If the airline hires me, will they train me for it? (w/ pay. . .no PFT, I spit on PFT).

I guess this is kinda a general question that me, being a newb to all of this, will learn eventually. Just wondering if this is something that could also occur at say Air Tran or any other LCC?
surreal1221 is offline  
Old 06-04-2006, 01:17 PM
  #2  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 31,549
Default

Despite what the web page says, SWA will rarely even interview anyone who does not have the 737 type. I guess they have enough applicants willing to pay for it or who got one somewhere else...

Essentially all regionals, LCCs (except SWA), and majors in the US do not require you to buy aircraft-specific training. Some airlines do have a training contract to ensure you don't take their training and then quit in 3 months to go work elsewhere. There are also a few "pay for training" scams out there where very low-time pilots pay an airline or their affiliate flight school a large sum in exchange for training and a job.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 06-04-2006, 01:58 PM
  #3  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
surreal1221's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2006
Posts: 893
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777
Despite what the web page says, SWA will rarely even interview anyone who does not have the 737 type. I guess they have enough applicants willing to pay for it or who got one somewhere else...

Essentially all regionals, LCCs (except SWA), and majors in the US do not require you to buy aircraft-specific training. Some airlines do have a training contract to ensure you don't take their training and then quit in 3 months to go work elsewhere. There are also a few "pay for training" scams out there where very low-time pilots pay an airline or their affiliate flight school a large sum in exchange for training and a job.
Alright, appreciate the follow up. Was just wondering.
surreal1221 is offline  
Old 06-04-2006, 05:04 PM
  #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Slice's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Spartan
Posts: 3,227
Default

Originally Posted by surreal1221
Okay quick question.

On the SWA page it states that they are hiring pilots w/o a 73 type rating, then states that the airline requires you to get the type rating within 6 months.

Is this standard practice for many LCC airlines?

I am under the impression that, if hired by a regional, that they will pay for your training and type rating in an RJ, etc. Now say I want to move to SWA and try to get picked up, but I don't have a 73 type rating. If the airline hires me, will they train me for it? (w/ pay. . .no PFT, I spit on PFT).

I guess this is kinda a general question that me, being a newb to all of this, will learn eventually. Just wondering if this is something that could also occur at say Air Tran or any other LCC?

I wouldn't call it PFT, because they don't care how you get the type...ie, if you flew mil or at another airline that gave you the type you haven't paid for anything. The requirement does suck if you didn't go that route. My thought is that they use it as a weed out tool to see who really wants to work there. I do know 4-5 guys that were given job offers before getting the type but they were all check airman types or the like. Latest word from RK is that they won't be calling anymore non-typed pilots in because they need people going into the pool to be ready to go.
Slice is offline  
Old 06-04-2006, 07:23 PM
  #5  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
surreal1221's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2006
Posts: 893
Default

Appreciate it Slice. I'm obviously not in the position to even dream about working at SWA. . . lol.

Was just wondering if this was some sort of standard practice for entry level FO that are moving up from a regional.
surreal1221 is offline  
Old 06-05-2006, 11:11 AM
  #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Sr. Barco's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: 737 Captain
Posts: 480
Default SWA type rating

SWA requires the type because it lowers their insurance bill. Maybe there's other reasons but this is what I've been told by people in the know.

SWA does hire a fair amount of pilots without the type who then get the type and start class.

Anyone who is serious about flying for SWA should attend their company sponsored open house on Saturday June 10 in DAL. It is at the training center and begins at 8:00am.

Take care

S.B.
Sr. Barco is offline  
Old 06-05-2006, 11:39 AM
  #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,425
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777
Despite what the web page says, SWA will rarely even interview anyone who does not have the 737 type. I guess they have enough applicants willing to pay for it or who got one somewhere else.
I finished a trip last month with a guy that was hired at SWA without a type rating. He got it prior to starting class and paid about $6k for it. More than worth it IMO, as he'll more than make it up jumping from regional CA to SWA FO after his first year.
fosters is offline  
Old 06-05-2006, 11:40 AM
  #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737/FO
Posts: 423
Default

Originally Posted by Sr. Barco
SWA requires the type because it lowers their insurance bill. Maybe there's other reasons but this is what I've been told by people in the know.

SWA does hire a fair amount of pilots without the type who then get the type and start class.

Anyone who is serious about flying for SWA should attend their company sponsored open house on Saturday June 10 in DAL. It is at the training center and begins at 8:00am.

Take care

S.B.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it also cuts their new hire sim training in half - from about 40 hours of sim time to 20. If you already have the type, you need less training in the aircraft to meet FAA requirements for 121 new hire. Half the training, half the cost. A big avantage when you hire as many pilots as SWA does. Is there a SWA pilot or insider out here that can confirm this?

Last edited by WEACLRS; 06-05-2006 at 01:08 PM.
WEACLRS is offline  
Old 06-05-2006, 12:05 PM
  #9  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 31,549
Default

Originally Posted by fosters
I finished a trip last month with a guy that was hired at SWA without a type rating. He got it prior to starting class and paid about $6k for it. More than worth it IMO, as he'll more than make it up jumping from regional CA to SWA FO after his first year.
Yes, there are a few guys who get interviewed pre-type, but not many. And the $6K was certainly worth it now that he already has the job offer.

My sore spot is that there are many folks out there who buy the type and then attend an interview with a 20-30% selection opportunity...I feel bad for those folks and refuse to be one of them. SWA should not create the environment where you have to blow $6k+ to have a reasonable shot at an interview. They can still require you to get the type after the job offer and prior to class date if that's what they need.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 06-05-2006, 12:09 PM
  #10  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 31,549
Default

Originally Posted by WEACLRS
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it also cuts their new hire sim training in half - from about 40 hours of sim time to 20. If you already have the type, you need less training in the aircraft to meet FAA requirements for 121 new hire. Half the training, half the cost. A big avantage when you hire as many pilots as SWA does.
True, but what if other airlines required you to buy a type prior to transitioning to a new aircraft...some airlines have LOTS of different aircraft on property. You'd be blowing $8-10K every few years as your career progressed...

It's just not somewhere we really want to go...
rickair7777 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Murano
Flight Schools and Training
13
05-04-2009 07:14 PM
Herc130AV8R
Military
25
03-22-2008 06:22 PM
Vader
Fractional
28
11-02-2007 06:37 AM
greenDOG
Hiring News
22
06-17-2006 07:54 PM
Air Polygamy
Regional
16
03-12-2006 08:24 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread