Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Lambourne's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: B777 Capt
Posts: 844
Default SWA dealing with FAA over unauthorized parts

Didn't see this posted on the forum, from the WSJ. Interesting reading about SWA and continuing issue with maintenance compliance.


"FAA inspectors and managers maintained that since the specific parts were never authorized for aviation use, the planes that had them installed technically weren't fit to carry passengers. Only an airline can ground its aircraft, but carriers don't want to continue flying planes contrary to the FAA's wishes. The agency has authority to impose fines and other penalties when it feels certain planes shouldn't operate."

L
Lambourne is offline  
Old 08-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #2  
Line Holder
 
4 Fan Trashcan's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: SWA Poolie
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambourne View Post
Didn't see this posted on the forum, from the WSJ. Interesting reading about SWA and continuing issue with maintenance compliance.


"FAA inspectors and managers maintained that since the specific parts were never authorized for aviation use, the planes that had them installed technically weren't fit to carry passengers. Only an airline can ground its aircraft, but carriers don't want to continue flying planes contrary to the FAA's wishes. The agency has authority to impose fines and other penalties when it feels certain planes shouldn't operate."

L
UPDATE 1-Southwest jets can fly with unapproved parts -govt | Reuters


* Unauthorized parts found on older Southwest 737s

* Parts do not pose safety threat, FAA says (Updates with FAA, Southwest comment)

4 Fan.
4 Fan Trashcan is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #3  
HOSED BY PBS AGAIN
 
ewrbasedpilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,703
Default

The FAA never fazes to amaze me. While flying B727's at Express One Int'l., they actually shut us down for "violations" concerning "non FAA approved" parts that we got from FAA APPROVED vendors!!! They also violated us for AD's on aircraft that were not performed 20 years prior to our purchase of the aircraft!!! Go figure..............and they wonder why no one respects them?????...
ewrbasedpilot is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
OscartheGrouch's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: B737/Capt
Posts: 998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambourne View Post
Didn't see this posted on the forum, from the WSJ. Interesting reading about SWA and continuing issue with maintenance compliance.


"FAA inspectors and managers maintained that since the specific parts were never authorized for aviation use, the planes that had them installed technically weren't fit to carry passengers. Only an airline can ground its aircraft, but carriers don't want to continue flying planes contrary to the FAA's wishes. The agency has authority to impose fines and other penalties when it feels certain planes shouldn't operate."

L
Well LB, since I have been censored by the authorities that be, please explain what your implications are by pointing out another flaw that SWA has. Your credibility is in question when many of your previous posts are in fact "digs" towards SWA. As I stated in my censored post SWA has numerous aircraft now and growing pains (at least up to this point) require some MX management and organizational skills that might not be up to par with the "legacies." Throwing stones when ones house is not completely in order is well ..... without credibility.

The Oscar
OscartheGrouch is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
OscartheGrouch's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: B737/Capt
Posts: 998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewrbasedpilot View Post
The FAA never fazes to amaze me. While flying B727's at Express One Int'l., they actually shut us down for "violations" concerning "non FAA approved" parts that we got from FAA APPROVED vendors!!! They also violated us for AD's on aircraft that were not performed 20 years prior to our purchase of the aircraft!!! Go figure..............and they wonder why no one respects them?????...
EWR,

For once I am totally on your level. If SWA has made "mistakes" than we will have to adjust accordingly. The implications by some that SWA did this without regard for public safety is well ...... again without credibility. Thanks for the support - I think.

Oscar
OscartheGrouch is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #6  
Line Holder
 
4 Fan Trashcan's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: SWA Poolie
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscartheGrouch View Post
Well LB, since I have been censored by the authorities that be, please explain what your implications are by pointing out another flaw that SWA has. Your credibility is in question when many of your previous posts are in fact "digs" towards SWA. As I stated in my censored post SWA has numerous aircraft now and growing pains (at least up to this point) require some MX management and organizational skills that might not be up to par with the "legacies." Throwing stones when ones house is not completely in order is well ..... without credibility.

The Oscar
I gotta wonder why some people love to hate SWA so much.
4 Fan Trashcan is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
hockeypilot44's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Fan Trashcan View Post
I gotta wonder why some people love to hate SWA so much.
Southwest represents what the legacy pilots didn't want this industry to become. Southwest is the poster child for low cost carriers. The legacies response was the regional jet. Things have changed tremendously in the last ten years, but some people still blame Southwest.
hockeypilot44 is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Lambourne's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: B777 Capt
Posts: 844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscartheGrouch View Post
Well LB, since I have been censored by the authorities that be, please explain what your implications are by pointing out another flaw that SWA has. Your credibility is in question when many of your previous posts are in fact "digs" towards SWA. As I stated in my censored post SWA has numerous aircraft now and growing pains (at least up to this point) require some MX management and organizational skills that might not be up to par with the "legacies." Throwing stones when ones house is not completely in order is well ..... without credibility.

The Oscar

You act like I broke in and placed unapproved parts on the SWA airplanes. Sir, this is news and this is a forum to discuss the news within the industry. If this was my carrier I am sure someone would have posted this along with comments on our demise.

This is life, deal with it.

L
Lambourne is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #9  
Line Holder
 
ftrplt18e's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: F/O New Hire
Posts: 89
Default

Sorry Lambourne, but I'm going to throw the BS flag. You want to post "news" Good for you! I appreciate that. I think what Oscar took offense to was your lead in commentary...."continuing issue with maintenance compliance. "
You can stand above the fray when you post news without the negative commentary. Didn't American just have maintenance issues a couple months ago. It's an ongoing battle with the FAA, but now that you've opened the door to everyone slamming YOUR airline, I'm sure Oscar will hammer you for every piece of negative info.
Actually, I think he's above that....most of us are.
ftrplt18e is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Herkulesdrvr's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Posts: 712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Fan Trashcan View Post
I gotta wonder why some people love to hate SWA so much.
I think when you have pummeled the competition for so long you figure lets join em. Problem is that swa is not hiring and so many try to get on and dont make it. I guess its jealousy or one's own unhappiness in their life. It really is ridiculous when you read some of the comments. Swa has raised this industry up in so many ways and in many aspects improved things for all of us.
Herkulesdrvr is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Southwest may make a bid for Frontier StormChaser Major 378 08-10-2009 01:25 PM
News from FAA Todzilla Cargo 34 06-30-2009 12:29 PM
Garbage station coming at LGA! Donkey Hangar Talk 1 03-29-2009 12:42 PM
Airlines sue the FAA over rest rules EWRflyr Major 2 01-09-2009 04:12 PM
Skybus 2 DWN3GRN Major 81 11-17-2008 02:04 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:50 PM.