Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Major Legacy, National, and LCC
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #2491  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: May 2017
Posts: 48
Default

Do you think a 737 type rating would help out at all. I'm army but all my time will be in the King Air 200/350. Should be around 2,000 ish hours when service obligation is finished. I'm going to get my ATP before I get out in order to give myself an oppourtinity to maybe get picked up at a LCC, major, or hopefully a legacy. All seem like better options than starting the journey into the 121 world at a regional. And now I'm trying to figure out if a 737 GI bill funded type rating would help this out at all for what it's worth.

Thanks
ArmyFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #2492  
Ich bin Pilot von Beruf
 
Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: CRJ Kapitän
Posts: 616
Default

Don't waste time and money on the B737 type. Put some time in at a regional and acquire a type rating and ATP while you are being paid for your piloting skills. With your military aviation background, you will have your choice of which legacy/LCC that you want.
Duesenflieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #2493  
Line Holder
 
FSF17's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2013
Position: Navy IP/Safety/NATOPS
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duesenflieger View Post
Don't waste time and money on the B737 type. Put some time in at a regional and acquire a type rating and ATP while you are being paid for your piloting skills. With your military aviation background, you will have your choice of which legacy/LCC that you want.
Uncle Sam will pay for his ATP. There's no reason for him not to get it, and if that means getting a 737 type out of the deal, then so be it.

ArmyFW, get your ATP for free while you're in. I don't know how much the 737 type will help though.
FSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #2494  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Jun 2016
Position: P-8A NATOPS Instructor
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSF17 View Post
Uncle Sam will pay for his ATP. There's no reason for him not to get it, and if that means getting a 737 type out of the deal, then so be it.

ArmyFW, get your ATP for free while you're in. I don't know how much the 737 type will help though.
Free? Give me the details and I'll sign up tomorrow. Everyone (from LT's to retiring CO's) I've seen has been getting the ATP on own time, own dime.
P8Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #2495  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2015
Position: FO of my house.
Posts: 191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P8Bubba View Post
Free? Give me the details and I'll sign up tomorrow. Everyone (from LT's to retiring CO's) I've seen has been getting the ATP on own time, own dime.
Probably because they weren't eligible, transferred their GI Bill benefits to a dependent, and/or used it already on other stuff. I used my GI Bill to pay for my ATP/CTP course and my ATP/Type Rating. You have to pay up front but then the company reimburses you a few weeks after the course when they're paid by the gub'mint.
GatorHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:34 AM   #2496  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Dec 2014
Posts: 53
Default

Could anyone point me in the right direction for gouges and interview prep materials for UAL and AA?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Av8tor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:41 AM   #2497  
BUTTON PUSH IGNORED
 
Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: I got into this business so I wouldn't have to work.
Posts: 648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P8Bubba View Post
Free? Give me the details and I'll sign up tomorrow. Everyone (from LT's to retiring CO's) I've seen has been getting the ATP on own time, own dime.
This was how it was done before last summer. You pay $50 to take your ATP written and when the government pays for your training in a new type, you take the practical in the sim or in the aircraft (if there's an FAA guy available for that type of thing.)

It's how I got my ATP. Thanks to Uncle Sam, I've effectively paid zero for all of my qualifications, from glider, SEL, & MEL commercial and CFI to ATP.

Thanks, Uncle Sam!
Vincent Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:49 AM   #2498  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: CRJ CA
Posts: 1,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Chase View Post
This was how it was done before last summer. You pay $50 to take your ATP written and when the government pays for your training in a new type, you take the practical in the sim or in the aircraft (if there's an FAA guy available for that type of thing.)

It's how I got my ATP. Thanks to Uncle Sam, I've effectively paid zero for all of my qualifications, from glider, SEL, & MEL commercial and CFI to ATP.

Thanks, Uncle Sam!
Uncle Sam reimbursed me for all of my checkrides and knowledge tests as well.
http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/docs/pamphlets/lc_brochure.pdf
zondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #2499  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Cabin Temp Management Specialist
Posts: 157
Default

CJO From Southwest!

9000TT
3200 TPIC
2 Types
Part 91K/135/corporate background
Wrong side of 40
4-year liberal arts degree
Busted Commercial and CFI
Management, volunteer experience
Yard of the Month Winner, Spring 2015

A great day for me and my 'fam and proof that if you want it, it's out there.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #2500  
Gets Weekends Off
 
CODs4ever's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2015
Posts: 494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
CJO From Southwest!

9000TT
3200 TPIC
2 Types
Part 91K/135/corporate background
Wrong side of 40
4-year liberal arts degree
Busted Commercial and CFI
Management, volunteer experience
Yard of the Month Winner, Spring 2015

A great day for me and my 'fam and proof that if you want it, it's out there.
Hey Dude.... congratulations. See you out on the line.

Hey, I know that guy, he's a nihilist. Karl Hungus.
CODs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply

Tags
hiring, interview
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hired with less than 100 Multi hurricanechaser Hiring News 19 02-26-2013 09:13 PM
Why pilots DON'T get hired Freight Dog Career Questions 0 11-25-2007 04:32 PM
Skywest pilots hired on 11/16/06 ghilis101 Regional 11 11-17-2007 07:30 PM
Just Hired ASA, Few questions. afterburn81 Regional 8 05-13-2007 08:27 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:20 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands