Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Military (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/military/)
-   -   CBP Air Interdiction Agent (Pilot) (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/military/108466-cbp-air-interdiction-agent-pilot.html)

pilotaz 06-12-2020 01:46 PM

Fast track and three months? Have they told you when you could expect to be hired?

dapuckstopper15 06-12-2020 01:53 PM


Originally Posted by pilotaz (Post 3074443)
Fast track and three months? Have they told you when you could expect to be hired?


Not really. Polygraph has opened up very slowly and very limited. Keep in mind polygraph and backgrounds are backlogged for all federal agencies. I wouldn’t be surprised if it took me another 6 to 8 months to get hired. I know that as far as FLETC dates, they are looking at January at the earliest since FLETC Just opened up last week at 50% capacity.
If you’re even thinking about applying, I would do it now just to get the process started. Your medical and fitness will be done within two weeks depending on how fast you want to get those done but everything will hold as soon as you reach your polygraph stage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

senecacaptain 06-12-2020 02:55 PM


Originally Posted by pilotaz (Post 3074415)
Will the academy let me take my wife with me? I am getting ready to apply and I would like to know that to plan accordingly. Also does anyone know how much the process is taking now with COVID-19?

uh, no....

kaputt 06-12-2020 03:25 PM

To the guys that have done this for a long time, do the bubbas that flock to this job during down turns stick around once the good times come back to the airlines, or are they the first to go once the hiring comes back?

Just curious as someone who is interested in this job besides just a safe place to ride out the down times in aviation.

mimark 06-12-2020 06:45 PM


Originally Posted by kaputt (Post 3074511)
To the guys that have done this for a long time, do the bubbas that flock to this job during down turns stick around once the good times come back to the airlines, or are they the first to go once the hiring comes back?

Just curious as someone who is interested in this job besides just a safe place to ride out the down times in aviation.

I can't think of many furloughed airline pilots that work for us and I have been here 20 + years. Our hiring process is so long and slow (it is improving) that people don't really come here as a job to fill in while furloughed. The majority of pilots here that were former airline guys came here with no intention of returning to airlines (most from regionals however).

When I first started at AMO prior to 9/11, all the old AMO (Customs) pilots said I should go to the airlines. A couple years later I was glad I didn't (9/11). This current situation is the third major setback for the airlines since I have worked for CBP. I guess that staying was the right choice. Many pilots left for the airlines in the last few years, many are probably wishing they had not now.

We are pilots, the grass is always greener on the other side, somebody always is getting a better deal than us.

Being a pilot for AMO is very different than an airline pilot. Both have good and bad points. Financial stability is probably CBP's best point.

senecacaptain 06-12-2020 09:27 PM

Airline: boom and bust cycles with big money during the boom times. 200-300k etc a year Big-3. May "get rich" may also get very broke. May never fly with the same Captain ever. 10,000+ pilots each Major etc. Set parking brake, you are done. Loose your medical may be a big deal. everything is about seniority. Aircraft is a tool to make money. Point A to Point B. Houston to Tulsa. Airline jobs are about making the company money, and making yourself money

Govt Jobs: retirement package, healthcare in retirement (healthcare on duty too, obviously), salary low to mid 100's in most cases, full retirement at age 50 with healthcare in some law enforcement jobs. Will never be rich, will never be broke either. Start a second career. Commonly have a core group of coworkers you get to know pretty well. This is good and bad. Collateral duties, "work on this project", powerpoints, etc may be assigned to you. Good if you like that stuff. Loose your medical ? Salary will continue without a hiccup (in most cases) while you get assigned to a "support role" pending medical return. Seniority plays a role but a "slug" senior to you will probably not get that cool assignment or new aircraft training (but maybe he will). Ready room mentality. Reputations and credibility are very important. Great pilots but those who complain all the time are avoided for TDY duty, just-average pilots who never whine and are cool TDY dudes are always in demand. "get the mission done" etc. Aircraft is a tool to provide success to the ground guys (most agencies). Govt is flying 737, 757, G-550, King Airs, P-3, UH-60 Blackhawks, Cessnas, Challengers, and other stuff. Govt does not conduct flights, it conduct missions. Most Govt flying is is some form designed to protect America or make America safer in some manner. It is "not about you." PIC/Captain is called Aircraft Commander. this requires some de-Governmentalizing at resume / job fair time, especially for younger millennial HR types. "Why do you operate a King Air with a crew, isn't that a single pilot airplane?" etc. stuff.

Some Govt jobs will send pilots to annual recurrent events, conduct internal annual checkrides, surprise no-announce checkrides, send pilots to water survival/dunker school, survival school, etc. Many are highly structured and modeled after military programs.

etc

two different worlds

USMCFLYR 06-13-2020 03:24 PM

SC it was like you were reading my mind :p)

Well explained.

Personally - I'm a turtle.
Slow and steady.
I don't do BOOM or BUST very well.

DustoffVT 06-13-2020 06:38 PM


Originally Posted by USMCFLYR (Post 3075103)
SC it was like you were reading my mind :p)

Well explained.

Personally - I'm a turtle.
Slow and steady.
I don't do BOOM or BUST very well.

ha ha - never thought of the hornet as a turtle! More the hare - pretty damn quick but there better be a tanker nearby if you want to see the end of the race...

pilotaz 06-15-2020 06:11 AM


Originally Posted by senecacaptain (Post 3074724)
Airline: boom and bust cycles with big money during the boom times. 200-300k etc a year Big-3. May "get rich" may also get very broke. May never fly with the same Captain ever. 10,000+ pilots each Major etc. Set parking brake, you are done. Loose your medical may be a big deal. everything is about seniority. Aircraft is a tool to make money. Point A to Point B. Houston to Tulsa. Airline jobs are about making the company money, and making yourself money

Govt Jobs: retirement package, healthcare in retirement (healthcare on duty too, obviously), salary low to mid 100's in most cases, full retirement at age 50 with healthcare in some law enforcement jobs. Will never be rich, will never be broke either. Start a second career. Commonly have a core group of coworkers you get to know pretty well. This is good and bad. Collateral duties, "work on this project", powerpoints, etc may be assigned to you. Good if you like that stuff. Loose your medical ? Salary will continue without a hiccup (in most cases) while you get assigned to a "support role" pending medical return. Seniority plays a role but a "slug" senior to you will probably not get that cool assignment or new aircraft training (but maybe he will). Ready room mentality. Reputations and credibility are very important. Great pilots but those who complain all the time are avoided for TDY duty, just-average pilots who never whine and are cool TDY dudes are always in demand. "get the mission done" etc. Aircraft is a tool to provide success to the ground guys (most agencies). Govt is flying 737, 757, G-550, King Airs, P-3, UH-60 Blackhawks, Cessnas, Challengers, and other stuff. Govt does not conduct flights, it conduct missions. Most Govt flying is is some form designed to protect America or make America safer in some manner. It is "not about you." PIC/Captain is called Aircraft Commander. this requires some de-Governmentalizing at resume / job fair time, especially for younger millennial HR types. "Why do you operate a King Air with a crew, isn't that a single pilot airplane?" etc. stuff.

Some Govt jobs will send pilots to annual recurrent events, conduct internal annual checkrides, surprise no-announce checkrides, send pilots to water survival/dunker school, survival school, etc. Many are highly structured and modeled after military programs.

etc

two different worlds


Awesome thank you for the explanation! Getting ready to apply! :)

flynavyj 06-15-2020 10:42 AM

Hey all - Loved reading through thread!

I applied to CBP last week, and received an e-mail this morning saying I was referred and deemed eligible, which was then followed by the you have a conditional job offer. The obvious question will be moving my family to one of the bases likely on the southern border, away from our immediate family and near no friends or support structure.

I'm curious, when flying missions do you typically find yourself on an assignment away from base for an extended period, or are most of your missions day trips (or night trips) and out and backs?

I spent 6 years during the recession as a US DoD analyst, so I'm familiar with government structure and bureaucracy. I will need to send them my SF-50 (as soon as i find it, or request one). I'm by and large a midwest boy, enjoys fishing, shooting, art, and spending time with my family.

Curious how well I'd match with the majority of CBP pilots out there?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:41 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands