Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Military Military Aviation
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
USMCFLYR's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'
Posts: 11,564
Default Hawg gun question

Hawg Drivers -

Some of us were talking about guns today and this question came up.
Was the gun in the A-10 located with the waterline of the aircraft and what was the cant on the gun?

I think I found the answer to the first question off of Wikpedia:
"The fuselage of the aircraft is built around the gun.[23] For example, the nose wheel is offset to the right so that the gun's firing barrel at the 9 o'clock position is aligned on the aircraft's centerline."; but what about the second question? Btw - I also saw that it says the gun is optimized for a 30 deg dive at a slant range of 4,000'.

Thanks for any information.

USMCFLYR
USMCFLYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: HMMWV in Iraq
Posts: 177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Hawg Drivers -

Some of us were talking about guns today and this question came up.
Was the gun in the A-10 located with the waterline of the aircraft and what was the cant on the gun?

I think I found the answer to the first question off of Wikpedia:
"The fuselage of the aircraft is built around the gun.[23] For example, the nose wheel is offset to the right so that the gun's firing barrel at the 9 o'clock position is aligned on the aircraft's centerline."; but what about the second question? Btw - I also saw that it says the gun is optimized for a 30 deg dive at a slant range of 4,000'.

Thanks for any information.

USMCFLYR
Interesting question, I'd like to see this answer too. A/A guns are optimized with a little bit of cant up to pull lead in a fight, so I'd think A/G guns are the opposite or exactly on the waterline.

Also, I may be mistaking your questions, but isn't it possible for the gun to be aligned on centerline but not necessarily on the waterline?
sigtauenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
kronan's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 757 Capt
Posts: 1,965
Default

no cant up,

built on the centerline to minimize the built in aiming errors.

and now that it's a computer sight, range and windage doesn't matter. T.O.T is the key.

Old days, it was sighted for a 4k no wind shot....down low, rarely went up to such a high altitude back then. Shoot, 30 degrees is just over a mile up. Took special oxygen to get that high back then
kronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #4  
Moderator
 
vagabond's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Position: C-172
Posts: 7,683
Default

Can somebody pleeeeeease speak in simple Engrish for the benefit of this old lawyer?
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
USMCFLYR's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'
Posts: 11,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigtauenus View Post
Interesting question, I'd like to see this answer too. A/A guns are optimized with a little bit of cant up to pull lead in a fight, so I'd think A/G guns are the opposite or exactly on the waterline.

Also, I may be mistaking your questions, but isn't it possible for the gun to be aligned on centerline but not necessarily on the waterline?
Sig -

To tell the truth I'm not sure if I'm trying to use a different term or not - but I basically meant along the nose of the plane. I at least meant centerline and waterline to mean the same thing.

USMCFLYR
USMCFLYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:12 AM   #6  
Moderate Moderator
 
UAL T38 Phlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Uncertain; Negative RNP
Posts: 4,528
Default Definitions

USMC:

Waterline(s): parallel lines of reference, in inches, more or less parallel to the bottom of the aircraft. The idea being that if the aircraft were placed in water, this would be the resulting line. There will be a Zero reference line; anything above is referenced with "+" so many inches, and those below are "-."

Station: a reference for distance from nose to tail, in inches. Zero is not necessarily on the aircraft...often in front of the nose.

Buttock Line: References left and right of the centerline, in inches.
UAL T38 Phlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
USMCFLYR's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'
Posts: 11,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAL T38 Phlyer View Post
USMC:

Waterline(s): parallel lines of reference, in inches, more or less parallel to the bottom of the aircraft. The idea being that if the aircraft were placed in water, this would be the resulting line. There will be a Zero reference line; anything above is referenced with "+" so many inches, and those below are "-."

Station: a reference for distance from nose to tail, in inches. Zero is not necessarily on the aircraft...often in front of the nose.

Buttock Line: References left and right of the centerline, in inches.
Yes - in this case then I meant centerline or waterline - same concept. I was also referencing this to the 'waterline' symbol in our HUD showing nose position when the INS derived velocity vector is removed or it is HUD limited.
Station above is the weight and balance term.
Haven't heard buttock line

USMCFLYR
USMCFLYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: 767 FO
Posts: 7,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
Can somebody pleeeeeease speak in simple Engrish for the benefit of this old lawyer?

As an old pilot I must say centerline reference would be left or right. Waterline reference would be up or down. To fully understand the physics of canting up as it relates to aiming you must have spent at least part of your life as a toddler boy going through potty training.
FDXLAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #9  
Line Holder
 
ficone's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2007
Position: 757 FO
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
Can somebody pleeeeeease speak in simple Engrish for the benefit of this old lawyer?
The irony here is satisfying, seeing how I think the main purpose of legalese is lawyer job security!
ficone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #10  
Moderator
 
vagabond's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Position: C-172
Posts: 7,683
Default

Ah, canting. So that's what my 2 year old nephew is doing!! I can see a future fighter pilot in the family. I'll do my best to brain wash him that the F-18 is the only aircraft worth flying!

PS: this is thread drift big time, but do you guys like my avatar?
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
embry-riddle CFI question museic Flight Schools and Training 30 06-05-2012 10:53 PM
Deliberate Vandalism Question ~ Valhalla2008 Aviation Law 11 09-21-2008 06:25 AM
$64,000 Question Over40 Regional 13 08-06-2008 07:49 PM
Question for Guard Guys... Early Retirement Eligibility MJB68 Military 1 08-02-2008 02:48 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:57 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright 2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1