Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums > >

Military Career | Transition to airline pilot

 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums

    Already registered? Login above

OR
 
To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of
the largest community of airline pilots in the U.S. and beyond.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Join the Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 04:28 PM   #1
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
ItnStln's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2016
Posts: 96
Default Army National Guard Fixed Wing Questions

I am looking to join the Army National Guard and becoming a pilot. The states that I am looking at are West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. Each of those states has fixed wing units from what I saw online. What I would like to know is how does one become a fixed wing pilot in the Army National Guard? It seems like most of the pilots are rotary wing, so I am not sure the process to fly fixed wing versus rotary wing.
From what I found online, the fixed wing units are:
West Virginia
C-12C: Parkersburg (OSA Det 28) and Bridgeport (Fixed Wing Army National Guard Training Site)
C-23: Bridgeport (Fixed Wing Army National Guard Training Site)
C-26: Bridgeport (Fixed Wing Army National Guard Training Site)
Maryland
C-12F: Aberdeen Proving Grounds (OSA Det 13)
Pennsylvania
C-12: Fort Indiantown Gap (OSA Det 22)
C-23B: Fort Indiantown Gap (Det 1 F Co 192nd Avn)
Virginia
C-12F: Sandston (OSA Det 26)
The list seems outdated as it still has the C-23, so if anyone has any newer information, please let me know. From what I read the C-23 was retired, so what replaced it?
Also how do deployments work for fixed wing pilots?
My goal is to become a widebody Captain at a legacy airline before I retire. Currently I have zero flight experience outside of Microsoft Flight Simulator, but I enjoy aviation. I am not looking to become a fixed wing pilot in the Army National Guard just to get the flight experience however! In the past I spoke to some Army National Guard pilots who enjoyed their jobs, and did it to take a break from their civilian jobs for a couple of days. Any additional input would be appreciated as I am open to any and all input/criticism.
ItnStln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
WannaBe FO
 
Ohlsan's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2016
Posts: 83
Default

Normally you got through the rotary wing school and fly helicopters until you prove yourself, then you apply for the fixed wing Det when they have an opening. I got put in a Det after volunteering for a fixed wing deployment, and have been in the Det ever since.
Ohlsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
ItnStln's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2016
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlsan View Post
Normally you got through the rotary wing school and fly helicopters until you prove yourself, then you apply for the fixed wing Det when they have an opening. I got put in a Det after volunteering for a fixed wing deployment, and have been in the Det ever since.


Thanks for the information! How do deployments work for fixed wing pilots? Do you deploy under a division, ARCENT, or CENTCOM? Also I'm looking to go in as a Commissioned Officer, but would a Warrant Officer have a better chance at becoming a fixed wing pilot?
ItnStln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
WannaBe FO
 
Ohlsan's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2016
Posts: 83
Default

If your goal is to make it to the majors, I would look into the Air Guard, you will have a much better chance and will get your time a lot faster.
Ohlsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
WannaBe FO
 
Ohlsan's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2016
Posts: 83
Default

There are very few fixed wing jobs for commissioned guys in the ARNG, most Dets have 4 warrant officers, and no commisoned. Some of the training units you posted about do have commisoned pilots though, just not a lot. You normally deploy as a Det and work for the aviation brigade. It all depends on the deployment
Ohlsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:47 PM   #6
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
ItnStln's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2016
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlsan View Post
If your goal is to make it to the majors, I would look into the Air Guard, you will have a much better chance and will get your time a lot faster.
The Air Guard people I've spoken to said I'd need a PPL to be competitive, and I'm 28 so I was told I'm too old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlsan View Post
There are very few fixed wing jobs for commissioned guys in the ARNG, most Dets have 4 warrant officers, and no commisoned. Some of the training units you posted about do have commisoned pilots though, just not a lot. You normally deploy as a Det and work for the aviation brigade. It all depends on the deployment
So if I want fixed wing look at WO? Also did anything replace the C-23? How hard is it to get an instructor job?
Thanks again for your answers!
ItnStln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:53 PM   #7
WannaBe FO
 
Ohlsan's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2016
Posts: 83
Default

Nothing replaced the C-23, it takes about 2 years of flying the c12 to get to the IP course. The problem I see is getting to the C12, it takes time and it's hard to say you will ever get in a fixed wing Det. You may get in right away and you may not get in at all. It comes down to luck and timing. I got lucky that they needed someone to deploy so I did. I then got lucky again when we returned from the deployment and had a couple guys retire so I was able to stay in the unit and go to the IP course. The good news is if you get in the flying is great and you can average 340+ hours a year of king air time if you are available to fly.
Ohlsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:14 PM   #8
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
ItnStln's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2016
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlsan View Post
Nothing replaced the C-23, it takes about 2 years of flying the c12 to get to the IP course. The problem I see is getting to the C12, it takes time and it's hard to say you will ever get in a fixed wing Det. You may get in right away and you may not get in at all. It comes down to luck and timing. I got lucky that they needed someone to deploy so I did. I then got lucky again when we returned from the deployment and had a couple guys retire so I was able to stay in the unit and go to the IP course. The good news is if you get in the flying is great and you can average 340+ hours a year of king air time if you are available to fly.
I'm sure you're right, timing and luck are everything! Is the 340+ hours you mentioned in a full time capacity, or m-days? I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible before calling another recruiter, so thank you for answering my questions!
ItnStln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #9
WannaBe FO
 
Ohlsan's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2016
Posts: 83
Default

Full time I average 380 a year, as a part timer, in a good unit, you will be able to fly as much as you want. But I would plan on 300-400 a year if your trying.
Ohlsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:30 PM   #10
WannaBe FO
 
Ohlsan's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2016
Posts: 83
Default

If I was you I would skip the recruiter and call directly to the units. The FWAATS guys are great and I'm sure if you asked they would give you a tour and answer any of your questions.
Ohlsan is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Army Guard or Air Guard? CaptainCarl Military 9 07-06-2011 09:11 PM
MD national guard pilot positions. Longbow64 Military 1 04-01-2008 02:22 PM
Rotor wing to Fixed wing ApacheAv8tor Corporate 0 02-02-2008 10:19 AM
Should I joing national guard after I ETS? Longbow64 Military 5 02-01-2008 02:27 PM
Best Way Into the Army National Guard erj145aviator Military 1 08-17-2006 09:32 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:17 PM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.0, Copyright ©2000-2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2000 - 2012 Internet Brands, Inc.