Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #351  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Nov 2013
Posts: 15
Default

Looks like the 9 seat configuration has been listed as an aircraft configuration on Lakes' website.
Stall is offline  
Old 02-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #352  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SMACFUM's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2013
Posts: 512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stall View Post
Looks like the 9 seat configuration has been listed as an aircraft configuration on Lakes' website.
New Pilot Shortage Strategy: Rip Half the Seats Off the Airplane | The Cranky Flier
SMACFUM is offline  
Old 02-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #353  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,030
Default

GLA hiring FO's with 300 hours.

https://greatlakesairlines-openhire....r=992273&aid=1
tom11011 is offline  
Old 02-24-2014, 07:09 PM   #354  
Gets Weekends Off
 
spaaks's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2013
Posts: 845
Default

Here's hoping the FAA doesn't let this through
spaaks is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 05:20 AM   #355  
Moderator
 
Cubdriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.
Posts: 5,988
Default

So if they hire you, do you get a class date right away? You're looking two months of unpaid training followed by no job if the 135 ticket does not come through.
Cubdriver is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 05:33 AM   #356  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2013
Posts: 463
Default

$16.24/FLIGHT HOUR and $1.35 Per Diem...simply disgusting. I can't believe they can belittle the profession this badly. Just when you think other regional's are bad this takes it to a whole new level.

Considering a CFI in certain areas charges $50 and more per hour why in the world would someone volunteer themselves up for that.
SkylineAviation is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 06:47 AM   #357  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Ultralight's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2012
Posts: 611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineAviation View Post
$16.24/FLIGHT HOUR and $1.35 Per Diem...simply disgusting. I can't believe they can belittle the profession this badly. Just when you think other regional's are bad this takes it to a whole new level.

Considering a CFI in certain areas charges $50 and more per hour why in the world would someone volunteer themselves up for that.
Very true, but when you consider some people (or some people's parents) are actually paying to sit in the right seat of a turbo prop, $16 an hour in the green looks like a better option.

With the new rules in place, new pilots need to find a way to build 1,500 hours. If you went to Lakes you wouldn't even have to get your CFI's saving a nice chunk of change.

If I were to start over again I would be tempted to skip the CFI ratings, go to Lakes until I have the time to apply to Ameriflight, get some turbine PIC and a semi respectable paycheck over there, and then put my resume out on airline apps.

I hope the feds reject it too, but if it gets approved it certainly gives a newly minted Commercial a pilot a different option to think about.
Ultralight is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #358  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
Very true, but when you consider some people (or some people's parents) are actually paying to sit in the right seat of a turbo prop, $16 an hour in the green looks like a better option.

With the new rules in place, new pilots need to find a way to build 1,500 hours. If you went to Lakes you wouldn't even have to get your CFI's saving a nice chunk of change.

If I were to start over again I would be tempted to skip the CFI ratings, go to Lakes until I have the time to apply to Ameriflight, get some turbine PIC and a semi respectable paycheck over there, and then put my resume out on airline apps.

I hope the feds reject it too, but if it gets approved it certainly gives a newly minted Commercial a pilot a different option to think about.
On what basis would the feds reject it? I'm not sure any rules are being broken, the feds have issued the 135 certificate right?
tom11011 is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #359  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2013
Posts: 463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
Very true, but when you consider some people (or some people's parents) are actually paying to sit in the right seat of a turbo prop, $16 an hour in the green looks like a better option.

With the new rules in place, new pilots need to find a way to build 1,500 hours. If you went to Lakes you wouldn't even have to get your CFI's saving a nice chunk of change.

If I were to start over again I would be tempted to skip the CFI ratings, go to Lakes until I have the time to apply to Ameriflight, get some turbine PIC and a semi respectable paycheck over there, and then put my resume out on airline apps.

I hope the feds reject it too, but if it gets approved it certainly gives a newly minted Commercial a pilot a different option to think about.
With that said, I only spent a few thousand or so if I remember right on my CFI and CFII years ago, so it's not like you saving all that much in the scheme of things. And if in fact you do bypass your CFI for a place like Great Lakes, you can't even come close to supporting yourself on $16.24...your gross on 75 hours is only $1218 plus say you are away from base getting per diem for 300 hours, that's another $405. Assuming you keep all $405 by packing food your take home is still $1623. Take away taxes and/or medical benefits, good luck getting an apartment, eating, and paying electric let alone paying back any student loans.

You can do much better for yourself by still getting the CFI making at a minimum $25/hour and not getting abused nearly as much by scheduling at a place like Great Lakes.

I'm not arguing with your point or opinion but what they're doing at Great Lakes is a total scam.
SkylineAviation is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #360  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Ultralight's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2012
Posts: 611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineAviation View Post
With that said, I only spent a few thousand or so if I remember right on my CFI and CFII years ago, so it's not like you saving all that much in the scheme of things. And if in fact you do bypass your CFI for a place like Great Lakes, you can't even come close to supporting yourself on $16.24...your gross on 75 hours is only $1218 plus say you are away from base getting per diem for 300 hours, that's another $405. Assuming you keep all $405 by packing food your take home is still $1623. Take away taxes and/or medical benefits, good luck getting an apartment, eating, and paying electric let alone paying back any student loans.

You can do much better for yourself by still getting the CFI making at a minimum $25/hour and not getting abused nearly as much by scheduling at a place like Great Lakes.

I'm not arguing with your point or opinion but what they're doing at Great Lakes is a total scam.
Yea I guess you could budget for around $5,000 for your CFI, MEI, & CFII. The way things are going now you could make a lot more money instructing and could get over a thousand hours in a year if you put the effort in. $25,000 a year at $25 an hour, v's the roughly $20,000 Lakes would pay with per diem. The $5,000 difference would cover your CFI tickets. No 6 weeks without a paycheck during training, and no training contract either.
I'm not sure what would look more competitive on a resume. 1,000 hours part 135 turbine SIC v's 1,000 instructing, but I guess once you meet ATP mins you could pretty much choose your regional regardless.
Ultralight is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great Lakes presents an opportunity skypilot35 Other 139 12-29-2015 03:51 PM
Part 135 Cost Structure Pony Express Part 135 11 05-06-2013 08:08 PM
Leave Great Lakes for an RJ operator? Aero1900 Career Questions 22 12-03-2012 06:31 AM
King Air B-200 Question wmuflyboy Flight Schools and Training 29 05-30-2009 08:40 PM
135 is a Great Place to Start! FuelJetA Part 135 11 03-12-2006 03:29 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:46 PM.