Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Trump proposes eliminating EAS

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015

EAS is a waste of tax dollars. Places in Alaska may "need" EAS, but the state of Alaska should pay for it, not the lower 48/Hawaii. States/communities that want it should pay for, not federal tax dollars. Does it create jobs for lower time pilots? Yes, I've benefitted from it and still do. But it doesn't mean that it's right or should continue to exist. I doubt it'll get chopped from the budget because congress is gonna congress.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by DarkSideMoon View Post
A true fiscal conservative would still be incensed about how much money he's wasting on security in NYC and Mar a Lago, grinding palm beach to a halt every weekend and shutting down a huge chunk of Florida's airspace so he can go golfing every weekend.
Hes a big government democrat- You paying attention? Liberals like you dont even resemble the democrats anymore
Old 03-22-2017, 04:21 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: Jet Cpt.
Default Government Waste

I Flew EAS routes for two years. (Twenty five years ago) Biggest waste of money I have witnessed in my adult life. Cut the program, cut it now!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008

Originally Posted by teddyballgame View Post
EAS has been pronounced dead more times than Generalissimo Francisco Franco.

By administrations and congresses of both parties.

But, as the late Tip O'Neill always said, "All politics is local".

Sure, let's cut gummint spending... but not in my district.

The same dance has been going on with Amtrak for decades. Congress threatens to slash funding to the rail system every fiscal year; until Congressman Bluster is told that it will mean the loss of passenger rail service in his district.

And then somehow, Amtrak gets funded every year.
Exactly. It boils down to the definition of "essential." Essential to what, reelection?

A 30 minute drive vice a 60 minute drive does not constitute "essential" by my reckoning, but a weasel shouting from the roof tops might convince his voters otherwise.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2016

Originally Posted by 8out View Post
I Flew EAS routes for two years. (Twenty five years ago) Biggest waste of money I have witnessed in my adult life. Cut the program, cut it now!
Yup well said
Old 03-23-2017, 07:04 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: B200

Originally Posted by 8out View Post
Hmmmm, let's see $300 million for a program to increase livability and access in an increasingly urbanized America, or another $50 billion for some carrier groups to make America "defendable" again....which one is a bigger waste?
Old 03-23-2017, 09:23 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: B200

Originally Posted by Jecain7 View Post
EAS is a waste of tax dollars. Places in Alaska may "need" EAS, but the state of Alaska should pay for it, not the lower 48/Hawaii. States/communities that want it should pay for, not federal tax dollars. Does it create jobs for lower time pilots? Yes, I've benefitted from it and still do. But it doesn't mean that it's right or should continue to exist. I doubt it'll get chopped from the budget because congress is gonna congress.
The "need" to fly as a Yupik is because Andrew Jackson "needed" to make the Cherokee walk to death. What Alaska got is needed to assuage the conscience of what the U.S. did to native groups in the lower 48 and Hawaii. America was built on these big decisions to land and labor grab, and the costs you are complaining about are sunk costs as reparations. Many would say it is exactly right and should continue to exist in perpetuity. You are right about exactly one part of your argument: Alaskans on the Hill will not cut one penny of those programs, despite their incessant preaching about the desirability of small government or Federal Overreach. Oh, and maybe the part about you benefiting too.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015

Originally Posted by Akutan Bandit View Post
The "need" to fly as a Yupik is because Andrew Jackson "needed" to make the Cherokee walk to death. What Alaska got is needed to assuage the conscience of what the U.S. did to native groups in the lower 48 and Hawaii. America was built on these big decisions to land and labor grab, and the costs you are complaining about are sunk costs as reparations. Many would say it is exactly right and should continue to exist in perpetuity. You are right about exactly one part of your argument: Alaskans on the Hill will not cut one penny of those programs, despite their incessant preaching about the desirability of small government or Federal Overreach. Oh, and maybe the part about you benefiting too.
When you bring up reparations I feel like i'm in a chappelle show skit. Did you ever fly EAS, do you currently fly EAS as a customer? You're ok with your tax dollars paying for something that is wasteful? I don't think you realize how many empty flights are flown just to collect the subsidy. All these small airport terminals need TSA. Which then requires paying those buffoons to stand there and delay your flight. On top of the screening equipment, uniforms, etc. What a huge waste. Bringing random native american tribes and eskimo's into this is really not relevant. Most of these people choose to live in east bumble****. That is their prerogative, don't make john q. taxpayer pay for their choices (like pretty much everyone on some sort of govt program).
Old 03-25-2017, 12:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2016

When would this come into affect if it passes?
Old 03-25-2017, 02:01 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2011
Default EAS & Congress

Most likely,

The Present contractual agreements shall be honored by the Government, and shall run flight service, up until the end of their Effective Contractual Dates, Respectively. But that's IT!!
Then we will see, for all intents and purposes, the end of Essential Air Service as we know it. Anyone employed by an Air Carrier that has its Lion Share of flying as an EAS carrier, should start right now, to get their resumes updated, especially if you be flying in Pennsylvania , Tennessee, or Florida.