Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Air Ambulance Physical Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 05:54 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Default Air Ambulance Physical Requirements

Hey guys,

I'm a pilot that has been out of the cockpit for a few years now and was thinking of going back to flying for a living.

I've always been intrigued by air ambulance. Understand that it's not the big coin, but I've missed doing something meaningful since retiring from the military.

Beyond getting hired with a nothing more than taildragger time in the last several years, I do have some concerns about some of the uniquely physical aspects of the job...namely patient loading.

I'm pushing 50 now and, while I don't walk with a cane, I gave the better part of my back to pulling Gs, running in boots, and hunching in cockpits. Realistically, how much lifting, shoving, and hauling are you doing in Air Ambulance? I understand that some aircraft have lifts and cargo doors and such. Some don't.

But anyone able to give me a general feel as to how much of this stuff is involved in the job?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:49 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2013

There are multiple guys over 65 that work for my company, who don't seem to have an issue. You are having to pull quite a bit of weight while loading the patient, but the ramp system makes it very doable, and usually you have at least 4 others to help. The biggest issue I have had is the tight spaces. Having to lift 75lbs while bending at the waist, and repositioning yourself often includes getting over a seat to avoid wires, hoses, ect. that come with some patients. I believe it would be much easier in an aircraft with a big cabin like the PC-12 (my company uses PA31).

The most challenging part of the job is the limited time you have to plan the flight. 20 min wheels up time at some operations. Overall it is a lot of fun, but the flying is definitely very challenging. I would highly recommend you get very instruments current before applying to help training go smoother, as you are having to learn a lot about the medical side of the job.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:14 AM
On Reserve

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah the bending, twisting thing was actually more my concern than the straight lifting requirement. I can totally see how being craned over the seat, hunched over with a good old corn fed patient would be a challenge. It's good to hear that you have some guys quite a bit older than me managing it.

I would definitely need to put some work into my instrument currency. I have a good deal of instrument time, but not very recently and perhaps not with the same equipment.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:18 AM
On Reserve

Oh, forgot to ask...

As for flight planning, do you tend to keep a few canned routes on hand and check forecasts throughout your duty period to make filing easier?

Or are the possible destinations too numerous to really make that workable?
Old 03-17-2017, 03:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Hey Propdriver, I sent you a PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:28 AM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by Deacon211 View Post
Oh, forgot to ask...

As for flight planning, do you tend to keep a few canned routes on hand and check forecasts throughout your duty period to make filing easier?

Or are the possible destinations too numerous to really make that workable?
I've flown for several ambulance operations, turbojet, turboprop, and piston. While some flying has a route, it's unusual; most all medevac flying is short notice, and may cover a wide area.

There are two basic kinds of medical flights; administrative transports in which one is moving a patient between facilities or taking someone for treatment, and those of a more pressing nature. While I have had a few occasions when we had a contract for regular movements of patients between locations, most of the time it's been a no-notice or short-notice pop-up trip, same as a charter. There may be an area of regular airports serviced, but it's been very common for the ambulance flying I've done to have pop-up trips that go across the country, into foreign countries, between states, etc.

Regarding your question about loading patients, it runs the gamut. It depends on the operation. Some places, policy was that pilots did not do the loading (risk of injury to the pilot creates a big problem in the middle of a medical transport). Other places, the pilot did most everything. In most cases, a tray or ramp or sled was available made of aluminum that extended out of the aircraft and on which the patient and gurney or bed slid in or out. In many cases, onboard medical personnel and ground ambulance personnel did the heavy lifting or moving.

I always made a policy of not interesting myself in the patient. I didn't really care what the patient's condition was or the purpose of the flight; all decisions need to be made on safety of flight. I never followed up on patients to see how they faired. I isolated my decision making and limited any interest or personal attention to the needs of the flight.

Flight planning can be done on the way to the hangar, over the phone, or today via foreflight or other means. At one operation, I lived in company housing not too far from the airport. When a call came in, I dropped whatever I was doing and went straight to the airport. I had my briefing and filing by phone on the way there and while I was towing the airplane out of the hangar, and already had an engine turning before the nurses and medics showed up.

I've flown burn victims, car wreck victims, shooting victims, even a chainsaw accident victim. I've had to take courses of medication after flying with contagious patients. I've had to help clean out vomit and blood, and have been pulled into the ambulance when things turned south prior to loading and the medical crew ran out of hands. I've flown dead children, dying children, and had people code or stroke out on board. On one occasion I was sent without medical personnel, the passenger was in the right seat on a transport home, and had a heart attack while we were in a remote area. A lot of flights in the middle of the night, a fair amount of bad weather flights. I've transported hearts and bones and kidneys, and have taken medical crews to harvest organs and bodies. I've been sent to get tissue samples prior to an organ harvest, and once went to an ICU to collect the samples, and was confronted by the family of the victim...who was still on life support next to me.

Point is, there's a lot of variety to what you might expect. It depends on the operator, the area, the kind of flying. There are a number of shady ambulance operators that only take flights with patients that can pay (illegal). I worked for a company that took everyone, but all our competitors would find ways out of flights if the patient's insurance wasn't adequate, or if the patient was uninsured. We also got called a lot more, because hospitals and emergency rooms and clinics knew we'd come, no matter what. In my opinion, ethics matter.

Do some research before you take the job.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: JAFO- First Observer

Since were on the "there I was...". I also flew air ambulance in a former life. Recip. twins with narrow entrance doors. Loaded many 300+ lb patients, one barely fit and we had to angle the litter sideways to get him through the cabin door. The flight nurses/medics may or may not be able to help as much as you would like.

My point is, you should wear a well fitted back brace and stay physically fit. This is no place for a pilot with a weak back.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

I flew the turbo commander with a modified door to allow better access. The pilot stood in the cockpit facing the rear of the cabin. The medic took the foot end of the sled and another medical on the ground passed the head end up to the pilot. The pilot then lifted the sled and maneuvered it onto the med bed inside the aircraft.
9 times out of 10 it wasn't a big deal but every now and again I got an obese patient, and / or a medic who wasn't putting much effort at their end.
I'm in my late 30's and try to stay in shape but I did hurt my back a couple of times. Partly due to me being complacent and not bending my knees. It's more the twisting motion that the lifting.
I guess it depends on the type of system the aircraft uses.

The job itself has its pros and cons like anything else. I got paid to watch breaking bad on my down time but certainly earned my money when the weather was bad and the helicopters wouldn't launch.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

The PC-12 isn't bad at all, even if you're out on the Rez with a uhm indigenous American of sturdy construction. Generally at least one of the medics will also have been chosen for their sturdy construction. Inside the airplane was a breeze in the Pilatus, although I can see how it might be a lot more difficult in a smaller cabin. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:29 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
I've flown for several ambulance operations, turbojet, turboprop, and piston. While some flying has a route, it's unusual; most all medevac flying is short notice, and may cover a wide area.

There are two basic kinds of medical flights; administrative transports in which one is moving a patient between facilities or taking someone for treatment, and those of a more pressing nature. While I have had a few occasions when we had a contract for regular movements of patients between locations, most of the time it's been a no-notice or short-notice pop-up trip, same as a charter. There may be an area of regular airports serviced, but it's been very common for the ambulance flying I've done to have pop-up trips that go across the country, into foreign countries, between states, etc.

Regarding your question about loading patients, it runs the gamut. It depends on the operation. Some places, policy was that pilots did not do the loading (risk of injury to the pilot creates a big problem in the middle of a medical transport). Other places, the pilot did most everything. In most cases, a tray or ramp or sled was available made of aluminum that extended out of the aircraft and on which the patient and gurney or bed slid in or out. In many cases, onboard medical personnel and ground ambulance personnel did the heavy lifting or moving.

I always made a policy of not interesting myself in the patient. I didn't really care what the patient's condition was or the purpose of the flight; all decisions need to be made on safety of flight. I never followed up on patients to see how they faired. I isolated my decision making and limited any interest or personal attention to the needs of the flight.

Flight planning can be done on the way to the hangar, over the phone, or today via foreflight or other means. At one operation, I lived in company housing not too far from the airport. When a call came in, I dropped whatever I was doing and went straight to the airport. I had my briefing and filing by phone on the way there and while I was towing the airplane out of the hangar, and already had an engine turning before the nurses and medics showed up.

I've flown burn victims, car wreck victims, shooting victims, even a chainsaw accident victim. I've had to take courses of medication after flying with contagious patients. I've had to help clean out vomit and blood, and have been pulled into the ambulance when things turned south prior to loading and the medical crew ran out of hands. I've flown dead children, dying children, and had people code or stroke out on board. On one occasion I was sent without medical personnel, the passenger was in the right seat on a transport home, and had a heart attack while we were in a remote area. A lot of flights in the middle of the night, a fair amount of bad weather flights. I've transported hearts and bones and kidneys, and have taken medical crews to harvest organs and bodies. I've been sent to get tissue samples prior to an organ harvest, and once went to an ICU to collect the samples, and was confronted by the family of the victim...who was still on life support next to me.

Point is, there's a lot of variety to what you might expect. It depends on the operator, the area, the kind of flying. There are a number of shady ambulance operators that only take flights with patients that can pay (illegal). I worked for a company that took everyone, but all our competitors would find ways out of flights if the patient's insurance wasn't adequate, or if the patient was uninsured. We also got called a lot more, because hospitals and emergency rooms and clinics knew we'd come, no matter what. In my opinion, ethics matter.

Do some research before you take the job.
+1 very accurate. I do all my flight planning using Flt plan go app. It is great because it gives the most recent routes filed between the 2 airports.