Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Air methods guys out there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 07:07 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2016

For any Air Methods pilots out there, I'm wondering how difficult is it to get selected for an interview? Is it as easy as it is to obtain an interview at a regional?
Old 09-11-2017, 09:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by Aubieflyer View Post
All managers are VFR rotor pilots. Let that sink in. Questions pm me. I can answer them

This cannot be emphasized enough. If you're looking for a FW job, this one is a solid 5/10. Was better two years ago but recent restructuring has shown zero interest or ability to manage the fixed wing side of the house. You're better off at a regional if you're a younger guy not close to age 65.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:57 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by dvtpilot View Post
This cannot be emphasized enough. If you're looking for a FW job, this one is a solid 5/10. Was better two years ago but recent restructuring has shown zero interest or ability to manage the fixed wing side of the house. You're better off at a regional if you're a younger guy not close to age 65.
Thank you for responding. I'm just wondering, why is it getting worse? Also, out of question, when you are on your 12 hour shift, are you at the airport or are you at your house?
Old 09-26-2017, 05:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2015

Originally Posted by newpilotusa View Post
Thank you for responding. I'm just wondering, why is it getting worse? Also, out of question, when you are on your 12 hour shift, are you at the airport or are you at your house?
Not getting worse, just the cancer is spreading. There are a handful of inept, incompetent Regional "directors" who will not stand up to the medical side of the house, hence the scud-running. If a nurse says you did an inverted approach, well, guess what bubba, you did and its your arse.

Specifically, avoid bases east of the Mississippi. The RAD is a very poorly regarded rotor pilot who can't comprehend FW flying, 135 rules or anything but flying his R44 in a cornfield. He will come down on you every chance he gets for turning down a flight.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

The RAMs were always a mixed bag. My program was east of the Mississippi (by about a mile), and we were pretty much left out of the As The Prop Turns regional political fights, etc. I gather that was largely because we were a hospital program...if you get a choice, you definitely want a hospital program. I did some workover at a couple of the community programs and the QOL was several ticks lower, for sure.

FWIW, I never once had a decision to turn down a flight questioned. But again, that probably had something to do with the program.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by JLTD View Post
Indeed! From a FW guy I know who went through class:

Instructor: you FW guys when flying VFR you have to go slower and lower if the ceiling and visibility are coming down right?

Guy: No, we just call ATC and get an IFR clearance.

Instructor: Well that's the wrong answer.

Spot on that it's a rotor company with some FW aircraft. The rotors don't fly much IMC and never if icing has been reported.

Read up on some of the other Methods threads here for the full story; basically the pilots are all cool, but if your Lead doesn't like you you're in a bad way. Solid company otherwise.
I just wanted to bump this up because it speaks volumes about the ever-present issues of being a f/w pilot at a r/w company. It’s something to think about becaue the scenario is believeable. However, a first-person account of it would be more credible.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:48 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2017

I flew the PC12 for Air Methods for five years, I left the company, and aviation in 2013. As far as quality of life, it is pretty good. 7 on, 7 off. 12 hour shifts spent at the airport with your own room and bed. I only flew about 2-3 times per week, and in the 5 years I was there I logged about 600 hours.

I would not recommend it for anyone looking to move forward in their career, I left Ameriflight in the 99 for it because I had 3 kids under 5, and wanted to be home every day to help my wife. (I took all night shifts the first 2 years).

The flying is tough. You get a call at 2 am, need to check weather, file a flight plan, and be taxiing in about 10 minutes. A lot of the destination airports were in mountainous terrain and VFR only, and many local pilots wouldn't even go to them in day VFR conditions. Fatigue is a real issue, and it's tough to stay on top of your game when only flying 15 hours a month.

As far as it being a helicopter company, I'd actually describe it as a healthcare corporation that operates helicopters, and keeps a few airplanes to stay profitable. Company management is all nurses and medics, and most training is geared to helicopter operations.

It is a nice place to work, and I'd recommend it as a retirement job, but you'll never make much more than first year regional FO pay as a fixed wing pilot there.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:09 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2017
Position: Shaky.... at best

Originally Posted by twebb View Post
Is there a list of fixed wing bases in PA? Any details on a new contract?
I'm pretty sure the only FW base in the North East is in Potsdam, NY. Way up on the North side of the Adirondacks.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:56 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Curious for current Air Methods pilots. What are the current pay rates, schedule, QOL? I'd be looking at the King Air out of APA. Feel free to PM me too. Thank you in advance!
Old 04-26-2018, 08:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

Originally Posted by rougepilot View Post
Curious for current Air Methods pilots. What are the current pay rates, schedule, QOL? I'd be looking at the King Air out of APA. Feel free to PM me too. Thank you in advance!
You can find the union contract online.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk