Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Air methods guys out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:35 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2014
Position: King air medevac
Default Air methods guys out there?

Applied to fixed wing side of the house and I got the first interview call from an HR guy who said he would send it up the chain for the next step. If it does go up, what can I expect for the technical interview process, i.e. what should I study up with on? Some thoughts:
1. Do they do an in interview sim check? If so, what kind of sim?
2. I read somewhere that VFR basic weather/visibility stuff is a big deal. Probly a rotor wing culture thing....?
Not looking for anyone to spoon feed me. Just a rough idea of the pilot side of the interview.
My highlights: ATP, 3600 total, current Part 135 freight employed.
Thanks!
Old 03-23-2017, 04:48 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2017
Position: Shaky.... at best

I'm a rotor guy there and have been for 5 years so I can tell you what I know from that side. We have a PC-12 based with us as well and those guys went through the same exact hiring process as us rotor heads. No sim ride, standard HR questions, one or 2 questions about weather minimums as well. Yes it is a rotor company but you will/could be doing approaches to a large airport only to break off to a smaller satellite airport within a few miles, hence some special VFR and standard airspace weather questions. Also depending on the base location it would be a regional manager and director doing the interview.... who will both be rotor guys. We're not that bad

The Air Methods hiring process is fairly slow, just be patient with them. The HR department takes a long time to get through things. They've been better in the past year or so but it's still a lot of waiting around to hear from them. Go visit the base you're interested in and knock on the door. They'd be able to tell you who the regional manager is and that can sometimes help really speed up the process if you reach out to them.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Cheers!
Old 03-23-2017, 05:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

"It's 2am...the phone rings...there's an accident and the highway patrol had shutdown the interstate...for your LZ..."

Do they still require 1500 r/w time for the PC12?
Old 03-23-2017, 06:03 PM
New Hire

PM sent.......filler
Old 03-24-2017, 03:14 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2014
Position: King air medevac

Thanks very much NxNW. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I think I can handle all that.

Glad to hear you say that visiting the base would be a good thing. I will do definitely do that.

By the way, love the smiley face saying you rotor guys ar not so bad. Nice touch, lol. For the record, the interaction I have had with the Air Methods air crews at my different stops on the road have all been very positive. It seems they look for a little more than a pilot who can fog a mirror. The folks I have met so far have been very personable and upbeat. It would imagine they try to find staff who are able to interact with patients and their families.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:42 PM
On Reserve

Position: KA200

Been with them for a few months. It's a helicopter company that dabbles in fixed wing. Ask lots of questions!
Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 PM
Line Holder

Position: Shaky.... at best

Originally Posted by deadstick35 View Post
"It's 2am...the phone rings...there's an accident and the highway patrol had shutdown the interstate...for your LZ..."

Do they still require 1500 r/w time for the PC12?
Ha, yeah. It's that new PC-12 tilt wing.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: CE-650

Is there a list of fixed wing bases in PA? Any details on a new contract?
Old 05-12-2017, 06:43 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2011
Position: Chair flying

Originally Posted by AFORF View Post
Been with them for a few months. It's a helicopter company that dabbles in fixed wing. Ask lots of questions!
Indeed! From a FW guy I know who went through class:

Instructor: you FW guys when flying VFR you have to go slower and lower if the ceiling and visibility are coming down right?

Guy: No, we just call ATC and get an IFR clearance.

Instructor: Well that's the wrong answer.

Spot on that it's a rotor company with some FW aircraft. The rotors don't fly much IMC and never if icing has been reported.

Read up on some of the other Methods threads here for the full story; basically the pilots are all cool, but if your Lead doesn't like you you're in a bad way. Solid company otherwise.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by JLTD View Post
Indeed! From a FW guy I know who went through class:

Instructor: you FW guys when flying VFR you have to go slower and lower if the ceiling and visibility are coming down right?

Guy: No, we just call ATC and get an IFR clearance.

Instructor: Well that's the wrong answer.

Spot on that it's a rotor company with some FW aircraft. The rotors don't fly much IMC and never if icing has been reported.

Read up on some of the other Methods threads here for the full story; basically the pilots are all cool, but if your Lead doesn't like you you're in a bad way. Solid company otherwise.

Lol. So the company SOP is to scud run. Got it.