Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Seaplanes in Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 11:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Default Seaplanes in Alaska

Do they operate year round in the Juneau area?
Old 04-16-2017, 11:54 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: Pirate
Default Oops

Don't get caught calling them seaplanes in Alaska... they are floatplanes... lol.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Originally Posted by BizPilot View Post
Do they operate year round in the Juneau area?
Yes, they do. The pond at Juneau Int. freezes in the winter, so operators need to use amphibs until the spring thaw. In fact, the pond just opened about a week ago.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Just a quick question for you experienced Alaska guys (it's a stupid one). How bad are the mosquitoes in the warmest months of the year?
I'll be heading west Alaska soon and I read horror stories haha. Apparently not that bad if you stay in your town, but if you decide to have a walk, you'll eat flying protein.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by Javichu View Post
Just a quick question for you experienced Alaska guys (it's a stupid one). How bad are the mosquitoes in the warmest months of the year?
I'll be heading west Alaska soon and I read horror stories haha. Apparently not that bad if you stay in your town, but if you decide to have a walk, you'll eat flying protein.
In the YK delta it varies a lot from year to year. One year my morning ritual was to give myself a liberal application of DEET every morning. I had to sleep under a mosquito net in order to keep the little devils from buzzing around my ears all night. Another year I never used DEET once, and killed only once mosquito all summer. Go figure!

Get yourself a spray bottle of 100% DEET, and that should be more than enough for the season. Just remember that DEET dissolves anything plastic, so don't accidentally spray it on your eyeglasses, mic muff, the windshield, etc.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Panzon View Post
In the YK delta it varies a lot from year to year. One year my morning ritual was to give myself a liberal application of DEET every morning. I had to sleep under a mosquito net in order to keep the little devils from buzzing around my ears all night. Another year I never used DEET once, and killed only once mosquito all summer. Go figure!

Get yourself a spray bottle of 100% DEET, and that should be more than enough for the season. Just remember that DEET dissolves anything plastic, so don't accidentally spray it on your eyeglasses, mic muff, the windshield, etc.

Dang. I worked outside with 120 degrees and also with -10, nooot a problem, but I hate mosquitoes with all my heart

I'll get nets, a gallon of DEET and napalm.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:09 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Don't be alarmed, but in Alaska, mosquitoes are required to have transponders.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Mosquitos weren't too bad on the Delta last summer, but the back flies on the lower Yukon were unlike anything I had ever seen.

I only did one summer out there, though, so I can't say much else. Bring the bug dope.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Is it really that bad if you "limit" yourself to your house and work? no camping or hiking haha
Old 04-16-2017, 09:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Juneau is beautiful. Crime is increasing in the area tho.