Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Renfro's Alaskan Adventures

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 01:13 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2016
Default Renfro's Alaskan Adventures

Just wondering if anyone has any info on Renfro's Alaskan Adventure, such as pay, schedule, benefits, etc. thanks
Old 04-23-2017, 04:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

I don't know any of that stuff, but seeing as they're one of the smallest carriers out in Bethel, I can't imagine they have much in terms of benefits, and pay probably isn't great unless you're doing their 91 stuff and getting some tips. My guess is they do 2 weeks on/off like everybody else for the 135 stuff, but that's just a guess.

What's your TT? I would honestly steer you to Ryan or Hageland if you're looking to fly around the Delta.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015

They are the bottom feeder in bethel. Lowest pay and you basically have to live there they rarely do a 2/2 schedule. I second the above post. If you have 500hrs or more apply to grant otherwise apply to hageland or Ryan. More than once they parked in front of me on a ramp and couldn't start their plane and had to help them replace an alternator in pouring cold rain. Their maintenance isnt the best. Plus the chief pilot is old as hell and has no clue what he is doing. I hated flying in a hold next to him he could never hold altitude or heading and he never shuts up on the radio. Its a last resort place to work.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:15 PM
On Reserve

Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciate it.
I'm currently at 502TT. I've tried Hageland (got the interview but didn't get the job). For Ryan, sent emails and called multiple times, but of course nothing.... Same goes for Grant and Bering Air.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by PrettyFlyGuy View Post
They are the bottom feeder in bethel. Lowest pay and you basically have to live there they rarely do a 2/2 schedule. I second the above post. If you have 500hrs or more apply to grant otherwise apply to hageland or Ryan. More than once they parked in front of me on a ramp and couldn't start their plane and had to help them replace an alternator in pouring cold rain. Their maintenance isnt the best. Plus the chief pilot is old as hell and has no clue what he is doing. I hated flying in a hold next to him he could never hold altitude or heading and he never shuts up on the radio. Its a last resort place to work.
I met their chief in Marshall a few hours after the midair last summer, I got the impression that he's only there because he's got the 119 experience. Was very quick to distance himself and the 135 side of the company from it, since their plane involved was 91. Didn't sit very well with me. Hearing him on the radio was always a pain, haha.

Originally Posted by chris tarderz View Post
Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciate it.
I'm currently at 502TT. I've tried Hageland (got the interview but didn't get the job). For Ryan, sent emails and called multiple times, but of course nothing.... Same goes for Grant and Bering Air.
Do you have any Alaska time or are you looking to move up there? If you have your cfi, it might not hurt to throw an application to UAA and build some Alaska time that way. Other than the Delta, there isn't a ton of flying for people without Alaska time unless you know somebody in my experience. And now that Yute is gone, you're gonna need at least 1000 or so hours before you're in a sled, so you'll do some sitting in the right seat of a van (1900 if you're lucky).

There are a few outfits in Homer that you could look into, but they tend to look for a bit more experience since they go off airport and land on some pretty short/rough strips. K Bay Air and Smokey Bay Air are the two carriers there- all 206s and 207s and the flying is an absolute blast.

I don't really know a lot of the flying out of Anchorage, but Spernak might be worth looking into if you're not sure about leaving the road system.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:37 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Do you have any Alaska time or are you looking to move up there? If you have your cfi, it might not hurt to throw an application to UAA and build some Alaska time that way. Other than the Delta, there isn't a ton of flying for people without Alaska time unless you know somebody in my experience. And now that Yute is gone, you're gonna need at least 1000 or so hours before you're in a sled, so you'll do some sitting in the right seat of a van (1900 if you're lucky).

There are a few outfits in Homer that you could look into, but they tend to look for a bit more experience since they go off airport and land on some pretty short/rough strips. K Bay Air and Smokey Bay Air are the two carriers there- all 206s and 207s and the flying is an absolute blast.

I don't really know a lot of the flying out of Anchorage, but Spernak might be worth looking into if you're not sure about leaving the road system.
Looking to move up there, but preferably it would be nice to have a 2 weeks on/off and just commute.
I'll take a look into the 2 operators out of Homer, thanks.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by chris tarderz View Post
Looking to move up there, but preferably it would be nice to have a 2 weeks on/off and just commute.
I'll take a look into the 2 operators out of Homer, thanks.
If you're thinking about commuting, Homer probably won't be for you. That's almost all full time work there.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:14 AM
On Reserve

I was able to obtain some additional info and will share it with the community.
The pay is $175 a day and over a period of time it will go up to $225 a day. Start off flying the 172 and then upgrade to a 206. There are 2 types of schedules that can be picked, a 15 days on/off and a 20 day on 10 off. Stand by tickets with Ravn Air are given to Anchorage. Pilot housing is provided. Roughly 500 to 600 hours of flying per year. Of course they would like a 1 year commitment (verbal agreement). The company is hurting for pilots.