Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Dear Tradewind Thanks For The Divorce! (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/103121-dear-tradewind-thanks-divorce.html)

FormerTWPilot 05-10-2017 06:46 PM

Dear Tradewind Thanks For The Divorce!

Dear Tradewind,

It has been a rocky marriage and unfortunately/fortunately we had to go our separate ways. I will be honest like most of your pilot relationships we were clearly using each other for what we both needed. I wanted to write you this note as you are certainly going to move on and I wish you nothing but the best. Please take my feedback as advice on how to have more successful pilot relationships moving forward.

Everyone knows 135 gigs are hard and there are a lot of moving pieces. The company needs to make money whenever it can, and if it means adding a charter to the end of a pilot’s really long day, I understand and I am fine with that part. But, you guys have lost 10+ pilots in the past 45+ days. Seriously that is a huge red flag management team! This company has a lot of problems. I don’t agree with 100% of what the previous TW disgruntled pilot posted on this forum that is wrong with Tradewind, but I do agree with a good majority of it. You guys could have fixed a lot by now but lets be real with each other, not much has changed. I too could write a novel about all the issues with the clueless, teenage, minimum wage dispatchers that are seriously clueless. But it is accurately covered in the previous post on here and I will be wasting my breath trying to get you to hire legitimate dispatchers that come at a higher cost.

Sorry for kicking this dead horse, but seriously if there is one thing that you take out of this breakup note it is the word “overweight.” I appreciate you guys taking fuel off the planes in order to help remedy this issue, but come on. We all know you are just putting lipstick on a pig. Every pilot is still being pressured to fly these planes overweight! When you have 7 pax and can’t take all the bags due to weight and balance, and the baggage handlers give you a hard time because the plane before you took off with 8 people and “way more bags,” then you know there is 100% a problem. Irony is the plane that took off before you with 8 people and more bags just happened to be flown by someone in ownership. Insert monkey emoji with hands over mouth.

Ignorance on wake turbulence is the company’s second biggest constant safety threat. There are a lot of pilots that are not utilizing proper wake turbulence separation. A PC-12 has no business starting a take off roll 30 - 40 seconds after an MD-11 or 777 has just taken off or landed. There are senior pilots based in SJU that are setting this example on a regular basis and it is going to cause an accident. Are 90-120 seconds really that important to your businesses bottom line or everyone’s safety?

Management needs to weed out the bad apples across the board. I know first hand that they have received multiple complaints about a certain pilot that is blatantly rude, has zero people skills, speaks without any consideration of others, that 95% of the pilots hate flying with. If the company held a Survivor type tribal council for all the pilots to vote one pilot off the island, they would 100% be gone. I used to dread having to go fly with this pilot as does every other pilot that ends up in a pairing with them. It really is amazing how much better a long day of part 135 flying is when you fly with a decent person. I may seem petty and all “boo hoo I have to fly with a crappy person” millennial, but you guys, “Tradwind Management” were the ones that made the post about how we are “all a team” and “that is what makes all the hard work worth it.” Well if being a team is going to make the hard work worth it, get rid of the crappy teammates that everyone hates being on the team with!

In addition when it comes to bad apples, there is a certain standards captain that needs to learn that Tradewind is a business not a fraternity where they get to haze all the pilots new and old. When the entire crew on the SBH shuttle takes the time to get the plane cleaned and prepped for the next day and the standards captain just blatantly throws trash on the floor 3 inches from the garbage bag, on purpose, night after night, it really turns people off in regards to the entire company. Show some respect to your pilots and maybe you will get some in return. Also in regards to another SJU senior pilot: We all notice that they repeatedly steal every single pilots half day schedules when they decide that they are going to grace us with their presence on the line. Do they not think that some of us make plans when we are scheduled for a half-day? Again I know it is part 135 and the company has to make money so schedule swaps will happen, but this pilot ONLY choose to fly when they notice one of us non managerial pilots have a single turn day and they can call crew scheduling to steal the short flying schedule.

Lastly not a huge issue, but one that I don’t think management has heard already is that senior leadership needs to stop staying in the SBH house when crews are there. When you are in the middle of your crew rest and leadership comes home in the wee hours of the morning after a night of drinking and other uplifting activities, eventually you will have a pilot with enough balls to stand up to leadership and not fly the next morning. Because (total shocker here) senior TW leadership that is drunk and who knows what else, tends to make a LOT of noise upon reentering the SBH house and going to bed 30 minutes later.

I know there will be management emails, and “management scandal cover up“ responses below. They will read like the last, disappointed that someone has made these issues public rather than addressing them directly with management. But you guys had your chance to fix a lot of this and haven’t, so I personally believe that I owe it to the pilots that are thinking about coming to fly for Tradewind to post my "personal opinion" divorce letter here publicly! For my comrades that are left behind, I hope management spends more time fixing issues this go around rather than just trying short-term damage control. With a few simple changes you guys could stop the pilot hemorrhaging. Maybe create the “team atmosphere” you guys posted about.

I truly hope you guys “TW Management” will take this breakup feedback to heart. Inevitably it will enable you to help turn your sinking ship around. Based on the low time pilots you are hiring you have to be aware that you are losing pilots way faster than you can get them trained and then replaced 3 months later when they quit.

I do wish you all the best! And please stop posting the lies about how we are “all a team and that is what makes all the hard work worth it.” You know what makes all the hard work worth it? Decent coworkers, the paycheck and maybe even the occasional pat on the back! LOL “pat on the back from a 135 operator” I know, I know, lets not get crazy!

FormerTWPilot

tonsterboy5 05-11-2017 02:16 AM

Classy to toss trash right next to the bin, someone needs to grow a set and pick up his trash and shove it in his luggage or put it on his chair

David Puddy 05-13-2017 05:23 AM

That's a pretty good divorce letter with some good feedback. If they are smart, your former management will acknowledge some of those issues internally and rememdy at least some of them. This is a PEOPLE business after all and good pilots are mobile.

At the end of the day, the regionals are hiring big time, paying decent cash and some are offering flows to the majors. If people meet the minimums, I can't imagine why 135 flying would remain attractive in this hiring environment.... This is a PILOT's market!!!

JG4245 05-13-2017 05:40 AM

I left there about a year ago and it seemed like things might start to get better (I was hoping). Unfortunately I have heard lots of stories on par with this thread. During my time there they simply grew too fast and couldn't handle the growth properly. There are worse places to build time and for the hours TW was hiring at the experience was great. Don't expect QOL to be good though and be prepared to work your a$$ off if you are looking at going to Tradewind.

Side note: The fraternity comment isn't completely untrue either. It is a tight nit management group for better or worse depending on how you fit in.

Sakonnet 05-14-2017 06:32 AM

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek"
-Former President Obama

Your quiet demeanor is not one that will help these issues be resolved. You simply sat back and watched instead of having the courage to speak up. These are not the qualities of a leader in this business.

-A Former Tradewind Captain

FormerTWPilot 05-16-2017 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sakonnet (Post 2363553)

Your quiet demeanor is not one that will help these issues be resolved. You simply sat back and watched instead of having the courage to speak up. These are not the qualities of a leader in this business.

-A Former Tradewind Captain

So unfortunately your assumptions are incorrect good sir. On multiple occasions I addressed issues with the former chief pilot who has since been promoted. A good eighty percent of my emails would go completely unanswered. Even when I would include in the closing statement of the email "please respond to confirm that you have received this email," I would still 80% of the time not get any response. Then when I would see him in person and would ask about the email I sent, I would get the response: "Oh yeah! Sorry I have been really busy, I will get back to you." He is a nice guy and I enjoy his company on a personal level, but he is in WAY over his head when it comes to running a pilot group that has grown as large as Tradewinds has. I get that when you are a chief pilot you become the liaison between corporate and the pilots and you must lean in the direction of corporate. But he was taking it to the extreme and breaking the law in regards to several HR concerns on multiple occasions. After getting no response in regards to addressing concerns directly with him initially, I just documented them via email and told myself that he had no clue what he was doing. I know the replacement CP was off to a good start when I left, but I have heard through the rumor mill that he is getting micro managed by the old guy and things are starting to quickly get back to the way they were. Tradewind is so good at taking one step forward and two steps back. Ownership really needs to take a personal interest in talking with all the pilots about the job performance of their pilot leadership. I really think it would be eye opening for them to hear some honest feedback.

PT6LOL 05-16-2017 08:04 PM

{{{ Management needs to weed out the bad apples across the board. I know first hand that they have received multiple complaints about a certain pilot that is blatantly rude, has zero people skills, speaks without any consideration of others, that 95% of the pilots hate flying with.}}}

He is standards cpt ..right ?

cjskyboss 05-17-2017 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by PT6LOL (Post 2364685)
He is standards cpt ..right ?

I am pretty sure it would be a she not a he :) (at least it would be in my personal Tradewind pilot survivor pool.) However the SC that the OP is referring to about the trash on the floor would have my second vote to get a pink slip. Both of them are horrible to fly with! :eek:

FormerTWPilot 05-17-2017 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by cjskyboss (Post 2364882)
I am pretty sure it would be a she not a he :) (at least it would be in my personal Tradewind pilot survivor pool.) However the SC that the OP is referring to about the trash on the floor would have my second vote to get a pink slip. Both of them are horrible to fly with! :eek:

Congratulations!!! We have a winner!!!!

PT6LOL 05-17-2017 04:57 PM

///..Also in regards to another SJU senior pilot: We all notice that they repeatedly steal every single pilots half day schedules when they decide that they are going to grace us with their presence on the line. Do they not think that some of us make plans when we are scheduled for a half-day? Again I know it is part 135 and the company has to make money so schedule swaps will happen, but this pilot ONLY choose to fly when they notice one of us non managerial pilots have a single turn day and they can call crew scheduling to steal the short flying schedule. ////

That gives bad impression to others with ,,team effort:confused:,,..You are on the wrong team then.:)
It is strange the company allows that.