Surf Air Acquires Texas Based Rise Airline

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Surf Air Acquires Texas Based Rise Airline

Old 06-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Default Surf Air Acquires Texas Based Rise Airline

Surf Air, the membership airline based in Santa Monica, has acquired a Texas counterpart and announced plans to expand to nearly a dozen new destinations.

Surf Air declined to reveal how much it paid for Dallas-based Rise airline. The deal adds Rise’s 1,000 members to Surf Air’s 3,000 members and adds six Texas locations to Surf Air’s current 12 destinations in California.

Over the next 18 months, the combined carriers expect to add nearly a dozen new destinations, including Las Vegas, Seattle and New Orleans, plus weekend service to Cabo San Lucas in Mexico, and Aspen and Vail in Colorado.

“This is the first step in our global expansion plan,” Surf Air Chief Executive Sudhin Shahani said.

The two companies operate nearly identical businesses, charging a monthly fee to fly busy executives, entrepreneurs and celebrities as often as needed on small planes between a handful of destinations. Both charge a monthly membership fee starting at $1,950.

The primary difference has been that Surf Air owns its aircraft while Rise charters its planes from local operators.

Under the acquisition deal, Rise aircraft will be replaced by Surf Air planes, with the headquarters for the new consolidated company based in Santa Monica. Members of Rise will automatically get their memberships transferred to Surf Air.

Under the acquisition deal, Rise aircraft will be replaced by Surf Air planes, with the headquarters for the new consolidated company based in Santa Monica. Members of Rise will automatically get their memberships transferred to Surf Air.

Rise Chief Executive Nick Kennedy will become president of Surf Air’s Texas and southeast region, reporting to Shahani.

Shahani attributed the success of Surf Air to the convenience the service provides for busy business travelers who don’t want to hassle with long lines, security pat-downs and cramped seats offered by traditional airlines.

“We have created an experience which the airlines can’t match,” he said.

Under the company’s plans for expansion, Shahani said Surf Air will look to serve pairs of cities around the world that are approximately 400 miles apart and feature high demand by business executives.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:08 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2009

Is Surf Air going to be hiring any first officers in the near future? I am around 600 TT with 50 hours in the King Air. Not sure if the 800 hour minimum for first officers is a hard set. I live in SoCal and Surf Air is one of the top airlines I would want to fly for.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by snorthcutt View Post
Is Surf Air going to be hiring any first officers in the near future? I am around 600 TT with 50 hours in the King Air. Not sure if the 800 hour minimum for first officers is a hard set. I live in SoCal and Surf Air is one of the top airlines I would want to fly for.

Check the other Surf Air thread
Old 06-29-2017, 08:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Ooh kase in the winter in a pc-12! Good times.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:32 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Default Texas Hiring

Has anybody heard any word on if and/or when Surf will be hiring Texas based pilots?