Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Tropic Ocean Airways (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/107840-tropic-ocean-airways.html)

SonicFlyer 11-12-2018 05:34 AM

Non-compete clauses are not enforceable.

And $90k/yr is still poverty level wages in Miami.

Flaps8posrate 11-12-2018 07:06 AM

Speaking from knowledgeable, legal point of view, the non compete provision, in a broad sense, is unenforceable in any court. Let’s say, if you worked for them and then started a company to directly compete with them (same base), then yes, it could be enforced. But really, who among you have the wherewithal to get a 135 certificate and, not to mention, the ability to buy and maintain an aircraft. Probably less tham .005 of the members of this board. So, back to the point - that noncompete is not enforceable!

Originally Posted by Caravanpilot (Post 2706859)
Tropic is the industry standard for wages 10 years ago. The training program is great, but the wages are at lease 50% below standard. The excuse of “we are higher than industry standard” may apply to a wheeled Caravan, but any float Captain, especially a Part 135 IFR amphib Captain should be looking for a minimum of 90K a year, plus all the benefits. Tropic forces their pilots to sign a broad ranging no compete that doesn’t allow them to fly floats for any other operator, except in Alaska, for a period of 2 years after leaving. (I believe it reads, anywhere Tropic may operate or may potentially operate in the future). This Is not only bad for morale, but also seems completely un American. Your employees should want to stay and be rewarded, rather than be forced to stay because you are afraid they may take a job that pays industry standard. The DO is a pilot, but his top gun ego and me first attitude doesn’t really mesh well with a safety conscious flight environment.

kaputt 11-12-2018 12:10 PM

I find it humorous that there are employers out there playing games like it’s still 2006 in the aviation industry.

Flaps8posrate 11-12-2018 07:25 PM

The 135 world is full of them.

Originally Posted by kaputt (Post 2707135)
I find it humorous that there are employers out there playing games like it’s still 2006 in the aviation industry.

KaiGywer 01-05-2019 11:12 PM

All this talk about substandard wages, but I can't seem to find any listings of what the wages actually are. Does anyone know? Also, how commutable would this job be? The post above lists "Jumpseat agreements with some 121 airlines", does anyone know which airlines this would be? How about ZED for other airlines?

Thanks in advance.

Selfmade92 01-05-2019 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by SonicFlyer (Post 2706891)
Non-compete clauses are not enforceable.

And $90k/yr is still poverty level wages in Miami.

non compete is enforcable

90k/yr is upper middle class in miami.

aeroengineer 01-07-2019 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Selfmade92 (Post 2737614)
non compete is enforcable

90k/yr is upper middle class in miami.

Do you have any more background you can add on this subject (non compete)? Are basing this in some manner on personal experience or a legal background? Just curious.

TurboWill 01-13-2019 07:16 PM

Happy 2019! I am at 750tt. I want to fly seaplanes to the Bahamas.

standardrate 01-14-2019 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by aeroengineer (Post 2738557)
Do you have any more background you can add on this subject (non compete)? Are basing this in some manner on personal experience or a legal background? Just curious.

I've lived down here for 20 years. 90k you are doing just fine

aeroengineer 01-15-2019 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by standardrate (Post 2742511)
I've lived down here for 20 years. 90k you are doing just fine

I should have been a little clearer. I agree 90k isn't bad even in higher cost areas. What I was more referring to was the non compete agreement. I can see where it's wrong to run off with a companies proprietary data or customer list but a blanket no flying a seaplane commercially at all is a bit extreme. I guess I didn't fully realize how cutthroat the business can be (I did a quick google search and a couple court cases popped up). I'm sure a lot of these agreements across various industries are banking on the former employee not willing to put his checking account up against a dedicated corporate legal department. Who's right or wrong is irrelevant in that case.