Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Tropic Ocean Airways

Old 08-22-2017, 09:33 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2015
Default Tropic Ocean Airways

Anyone heard of these guys before? Is it a good place to work for? Looks like fun.

Thanks guys
Old 09-03-2017, 03:43 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013
Position: PIC

Originally Posted by hittman31 View Post
Anyone heard of these guys before? Is it a good place to work for? Looks like fun.

Thanks guys
It's fun. That's it. Low pay, no benefits. Give the, a call they are always hiring.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:40 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2017
Default Clarity

Originally Posted by SAROVA View Post
It's fun. That's it. Low pay, no benefits. Give the, a call they are always hiring.
Hey guys...full disclosure, I'm the CEO. Also a pilot. Just happened to come across this...

Benefits include healthcare, Jumpseat agreements with some 121 airlines, bonus/profit share, PTO, seniority based pay scales which are above market for the 208.

Additional benefits include: we are a fast growing company who promotes based simply on attitude, work ethic, and performance. Pilots are trained from day 1 on CRM, ORM, standardization, etc...some of our guys went on to ace interviews with 121 carriers thanks to the professionalism taught here. A couple are in the process of interviewing for ANG units, as well.
Two pilot crews so lots of opportunity for upgrades through growth (provided you just kill it in the professionalism arena...seniority does not guarantee upgrade).

Company is run by ex-military aviation...we look for those who have the type of attitude and professionalism that I'm used to. If you do, we'll take care of you.

Oh yeah...you are correct...it is a lot of fun to fly seaplanes, too. Work hard, play hard.

If you would like additional info please email [email protected].

Fly safe. Good luck with the job search.

Best,
Rob
Old 09-30-2017, 09:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Rob, what kind of hours do you need, etc? I know it's 135 but do you have VFR only pilots, etc?
Old 01-02-2018, 04:02 PM
CFIing

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Does anyone have more company info? Do they hire direct entry captains?
Old 01-02-2018, 04:55 PM
CFIing

Also does anyone have info on QOL?
Old 05-24-2018, 05:22 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2018
Default wow

that guy got wrecked by the CEO, where's my popcorn?
Old 05-28-2018, 09:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Anyone have info on them?
Old 11-12-2018, 04:01 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2018

Tropic is the industry standard for wages 10 years ago. The training program is great, but the wages are at lease 50% below standard. The excuse of “we are higher than industry standard” may apply to a wheeled Caravan, but any float Captain, especially a Part 135 IFR amphib Captain should be looking for a minimum of 90K a year, plus all the benefits. Tropic forces their pilots to sign a broad ranging no compete that doesn’t allow them to fly floats for any other operator, except in Alaska, for a period of 2 years after leaving. (I believe it reads, anywhere Tropic may operate or may potentially operate in the future). This Is not only bad for morale, but also seems completely un American. Your employees should want to stay and be rewarded, rather than be forced to stay because you are afraid they may take a job that pays industry standard. The DO is a pilot, but his top gun ego and me first attitude doesn’t really mesh well with a safety conscious flight environment.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Gulfstream Pilot

I agree $90k is about right for a Capt on floats, depending on schedule. Two years non compete is nonsense. You basically sign away your ability to work.

Originally Posted by Caravanpilot View Post
Tropic is the industry standard for wages 10 years ago. The training program is great, but the wages are at lease 50% below standard. The excuse of “we are higher than industry standard” may apply to a wheeled Caravan, but any float Captain, especially a Part 135 IFR amphib Captain should be looking for a minimum of 90K a year, plus all the benefits. Tropic forces their pilots to sign a broad ranging no compete that doesn’t allow them to fly floats for any other operator, except in Alaska, for a period of 2 years after leaving. (I believe it reads, anywhere Tropic may operate or may potentially operate in the future). This Is not only bad for morale, but also seems completely un American. Your employees should want to stay and be rewarded, rather than be forced to stay because you are afraid they may take a job that pays industry standard. The DO is a pilot, but his top gun ego and me first attitude doesn’t really mesh well with a safety conscious flight environment.