Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Alaska Seaplanes, Juneau

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 09:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Still Swinging props!
Default Alaska Seaplanes, Juneau

Any insight from someone in JNU, at Alaska Seaplanes? Looks like a lot of additions and movement for these folks over the last 5 or so years. The website looks fantastic, in terms of all the standard items being on page 1; Mission Statement, Vision Statement, Safety is Everything, our people make the magic, etc.... but what happens after probation is up?

Do pilots rotate between Wings and Seaplanes? Looks like they had a combining of management, or assets, or something....? Are they operated separately, or as another 'outstation'?

Thanks for any info! If it's something you'd rather PM me, that's cool, too. Safe Skies!

Frozen
Old 10-16-2017, 04:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Seaplanes is a good company. It's a conglomeration of the old Alaska Seaplanes, Wings of Alaska and Air Excursions. Lots of good people were in all three outfits when I was up there.

A friend of mine just left after working there for almost 10 years, he was very happy there.

If you're a good stick you'll be able to transition from wheels to floats in a year or two.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:31 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Position: smoke and spider season

Do they even use SICs? What Mins are they looking for on their flight positions? Their website does not say.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2017, 02:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Originally Posted by PetRock View Post
Do they even use SICs? What Mins are they looking for on their flight positions? Their website does not say.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks!
All single pilot at Seaplanes. Stated mins are 1000 hrs, but they often hire at less than that. Part 135 IFR mins. are preferred, but not a requirement. If you meet 135 VFR mins, send a resume for next summer. Around February, they start looking for seasonal help. A float rating is a big plus.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks to all for your replies. Appreciate the info.

Safe skies,

Ronin
Old 10-17-2017, 03:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Be advised - Juneau is a STUPID expensive place to live!

On the plus side, it is epically beautiful and some of the most amazing flying. Good places to eat too (expensive though). In the summer, lots of younger people there to work tourism.

It's a FUN place!
Old 10-18-2017, 03:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by OrionDriver View Post
Be advised - Juneau is a STUPID expensive place to live!

On the plus side, it is epically beautiful and some of the most amazing flying. Good places to eat too (expensive though). In the summer, lots of younger people there to work tourism.

It's a FUN place!
Yes to all of these.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Stupid expensive is living in the arctic! All yer ice cream comes melted and refrozen, the produce looks like elephant skin, the containers are a special kind of bashed and broken! Shopping for food in the arctic should have it's own "you know you're in the arctic when..." thread!

Thanks to all for the help. I'm probably not the only one who appreciates the words of experience and wisdom.

Ronin

Thought of a few more:
You know you're shopping for food in the arctic when...
... all the potato chip bags are popped from the 207 climbing over the storm
... when you have to thaw your fresh fruit to eat it
... all the pop cans are pillowed from freezing
... milk is either FREE or $8/gallon. Free 'cuz it's expired, and it just got there
... there's more powdered milk then fresh milk on the shelves
... your beer is super cold. Wait, that's Listerine. You can't buy beer.

Sorry, couldn't stop myself.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by Frozen Ronin View Post
... all the potato chip bags are popped from the 207 climbing over the storm
I'm going Kotzebue to Point Hope with a load of bypass (that I didn't load myself). I think to myself "Hey, I'm alone. I'll go up high and take advantage of the winds." Around 7,500' I start to hear little explosions and wonder "What is that? Oh, I must have chips on board." Hasty descent follows. Land in Point Hope and the agent pulls up with his truck. "Yeah, so about the chips . . ." It took about two days to get all the orange Cheetohs dust vacuumed off the seats and out of the seat tracks. A mistake not to be repeated!
Old 10-23-2017, 04:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Default LOL... it aint easy being cheesey...

Panzon~ Been there! That's hilarious! Actually talked to a guy from a packing plant. Says the chip bags are designed to take altitudes of 8K ft, so that they could handle a pressurized airliner (with cabin altitude of 8K). That explains why it sounded like popcorn in my extra section to Point Hope, when I climbed up. A week later, I'm doing a charter, go into town, and the cash is selling those same bags of chips.... taped closed with scotch tape! And they were selling! When you have the munchies, you have the munchies, I guess.

Remember, if you have sodas explode on the aircraft, clean them up BEFORE you pull the airplane in the hangar. Easier to clean up when they're still frozen!