Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #11  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Jul 2018
Position: EMB-120
Posts: 10
Default

What Jules said.

Got to live within 30 minutes of your base. San Marcos, TX or Denton, TX or Akron / Canton, OH. Itís a great job. Pay is good for an FO with opportunities for quick upgrades. We just added a couple more Brasilias / EMB-120s / Bros. Itís a great plane and kind of an old school beast. They say if you can fly a Bro you can fly anything.

Pay varies with mileage.

1st year FOs were probably making around $65k-$75k this year.
Captains were all probably in the $120k-$150k range. Maybe more for some of the old timers.
ThreeTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #12  
Line Holder
 
aeroengineer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2016
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeTen View Post
What Jules said.

Got to live within 30 minutes of your base. San Marcos, TX or Denton, TX or Akron / Canton, OH. Itís a great job. Pay is good for an FO with opportunities for quick upgrades. We just added a couple more Brasilias / EMB-120s / Bros. Itís a great plane and kind of an old school beast. They say if you can fly a Bro you can fly anything.

Pay varies with mileage.

1st year FOs were probably making around $65k-$75k this year.
Captains were all probably in the $120k-$150k range. Maybe more for some of the old timers.
So Denton is a base? Is El Paso still a base? I remember when I passed through El Paso quite a while ago I seem to recall seeing some Berry EMB120s on the ramp.
aeroengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:31 AM   #13  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Jul 2018
Position: EMB-120
Posts: 10
Default

Yes, Denton is a base. We had a Captain based in El Paso but he moved to Albuquerque so now thatís his base. The company seems to be fairly flexible on bases if youíre a hard working Captain. They wouldnít create a base for an FO but if you came here and upgraded and after a time needed to move somewhere other than where a current base was it wouldnít surprise me at all if that Captain could negotiate a new base. Iím sure theyíd prefer to stick to just HYI and CAK though and the HYI and CAK guys get to spend much more time at home with their families since thatís where our mechanics are.
ThreeTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #14  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: desk
Posts: 51
Default

Curious what happened to the N.Island contract that went to Rampart.
hav3atps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:56 AM   #15  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Jul 2018
Position: EMB-120
Posts: 10
Default

I heard recently that they switched the North Island / San Clemente runs to the DHC-8 because keeping the old Metros going was getting expensive. The DoD contract stuff is completely separate from what we do in ODC though. So I canít really say that I know for sure.
ThreeTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #16  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: desk
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeTen View Post
I heard recently that they switched the North Island / San Clemente runs to the DHC-8 because keeping the old Metros going was getting expensive. The DoD contract stuff is completely separate from what we do in ODC though. So I canít really say that I know for sure.
Appreciate the info.
There's a new operation now that has the contract, using twin otters.
hav3atps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #17  
Line Holder
 
aeroengineer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2016
Posts: 56
Default

How hard is it to go from the ODC side to the DOD contract side? I know DOD contracts especially in forward deployed locations (where I have been on the ground) have understandably high mins which are often written in the contract/regs so they are hard mins (as well as a security clearance which I do have). Would building your time and experience until you make the quals for DOD be an option?

Last edited by aeroengineer; 01-23-2019 at 09:56 AM.
aeroengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:01 AM   #18  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SonicFlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2017
Posts: 968
Question

As FO do you get a choice of base?
SonicFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:18 PM   #19  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Jul 2018
Position: EMB-120
Posts: 10
Default

@ aeroengineer

I know of one ODC-side FO who is working with that goal in mind. You are correct about the DoD-side having hard mins due to government requirements. I see them doing training in the Twin Otters all the time. Looks like it would be fun. I just don't want to live in a man camp in Africa or Afghanistan despite the pay. Sounds like you're already used to that though.

@ SonicFlyer

Since we just purchased two more planes we're hiring several new pilots. I heard we've hired 4 people so far this year with plans for 6 more. I think the focus is mostly on hiring for the CAK base since the first 4 were Texas based evidently.
ThreeTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #20  
Line Holder
 
aeroengineer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2016
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeTen View Post
@ aeroengineer

I know of one ODC-side FO who is working with that goal in mind. You are correct about the DoD-side having hard mins due to government requirements. I see them doing training in the Twin Otters all the time. Looks like it would be fun. I just don't want to live in a man camp in Africa or Afghanistan despite the pay. Sounds like you're already used to that though.
Thanks! Yes I'm used to it as much as a person can be. Lol. As someone whose seen things from a Humvee and MRAP a chance to fly over it all and make decent money has a certain appeal. Transient tents at Bagram can suck after a while But the mission is top tier righteous in my book.

Last edited by aeroengineer; 01-27-2019 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Engrish
aeroengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beacon/Dynamic Aviation King Airs in NE Fetzervalve Part 135 43 02-04-2016 09:46 AM
Reduced ATP mins from Aviation Colleges... CramCleanClimb Flight Schools and Training 5 06-27-2014 08:05 AM
CFI FIA versus CPL written dl773 Flight Schools and Training 2 06-17-2014 03:03 PM
Berry Aviation Walkeraviator Part 135 0 06-23-2011 12:50 PM
Continued education after Aviation Degree WhiteH2O Flight Schools and Training 2 06-10-2006 03:41 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:17 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1